Thread: Military bases

Years of Experience

Default Military bases

Anyone know who does locating at Fort Dicks N.J. , Fort Eustis in VA?
    Forgive me if my spelling is off.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Military bases

Have not been to Ft. Eustis but the fighters from nearby Langley AFB flw low and LOUD. You will want to wear ear plugs often.

If you get the chance to go over by Virginia Beach visit the Military Aviation Museum ( Military Aviation Museum | Home ) whichhouses a large private collection of flying vintage war planes. You must take the guided tour and pay the fee. They even have one of two surviving British Mosqueto bombers that are flyable.

I was there on a Sunday and the Fighter Facory was closed. this is the restoration hanger where they rebuild planes. They have the wreckage of several WWII Messersmitt B-109s' which are are combing the parts to make one flying aircraft.

This is a private collection and the owners personal P-51 Mustang is there if he is not out flying it.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

If those bases are anything like the bases out here it works kinda like this...

The military have their own locators, however they don't locate very well or at all. They require the company doing the work on their bases to procure all locates. This usually will be a cursory call to the One-Call Center to make sure their is not public stuff, then they hire the local private locating company to come in and locate to the best of their abilities.

The fun fact is that the maps appear to be pretty good, till you start actually locating and you realize that they don't have half the stuff you see on the maps, and the half you see may or may not be on the wrong side of the road. They typically use unlocateable material for the water lines, storm lines, sanitary lines, and fiber.

As for the Low flying aircraft, it's the ones that you don't see that will make your ears bleed.

mke

Years of Experience

Fort Dix NJ has public utilities. Atlantic Infra, Utiliquest do marks in there. They also have their own locators who mark the sensitive stuff. Takes forever to get into the base of course.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Military bases have a mix of their private and public utilities. Their electric and the locale electric company, same for phone and everything else. Some of this stuff will go back to WWII.

Expect to have vehicle searched upon entry and a background check on you. Most places will require you to show proof of insurance.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    If those bases are anything like the bases out here it works kinda like this...

The military have their own locators, however they don't locate very well or at all. They require the company doing the work on their bases to procure all locates. This usually will be a cursory call to the One-Call Center to make sure their is not public stuff, then they hire the local private locating company to come in and locate to the best of their abilities.

The fun fact is that the maps appear to be pretty good, till you start actually locating and you realize that they don't have half the stuff you see on the maps, and the half you see may or may not be on the wrong side of the road. They typically use unlocateable material for the water lines, storm lines, sanitary lines, and fiber.

As for the Low flying aircraft, it's the ones that you don't see that will make your ears bleed.

mke
    What bases are you near , or what state are you in ?

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dragon View Post
    What bases are you near , or what state are you in ?
    I'm up in the Pacific Northwest. I've located at McChord, Lewis (before they became a joint base), the training facility out in Yakima, The Navy base up on Whidbey Island, Coast guard station in Astoria, PANG/ ORANG, Camp Withycombe, Chem depot in Umatilla, and several National Guard Armories. I've probably over looked a couple here and there, but that should cover it.

I will let you know that the NG Armories were pretty good guys.. We did enough work there that on one occasion they actually let us drive a humvee out in the mud in the back 40... That was pretty fun

Mke

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I agree with everyone on military bases, mixture of public and private.

There is another military base in upstate new york called Fort Drum. It's the same story up there. It's an enourmous base with a year-round population of about 9,000. It's the physical size of about 3 normal towns pushed together. Almost everything is buried, very few utility poles or overhead service.

They have their own locators on site for gas, electric, sewer, water and anything else private. They make an honest attempt, but are not skilled or trained particularly well. They have damages all the time. They also do not understand tracer wire with plastic gas at all, it would seem.

Telephone and cable tv are owned by verizon and time warner cable, though... so some of us one call guys do go on there.

Years of Experience

I just took a job locating at 5 bases in the Northeast. I will be clearing boring locations for environmental sampling so it will be smaller in scale. The client I am working for is has been quite progressive in getting me plans and prints, which I like as a starting point but we'll see once I start toning out. I figure I may have to cover quite a bit of ground to find access points just to mark them across small areas. Lucky it's just old tank locations, dispenser islands, trench drains and oil water separators. Hoping it's not a total disaster....the coordination efforts alone have given me a wicked headache!