Thread: Metrotech 810 and 850 gone!!!!

Years of Experience

Default Metrotech 810 and 850 gone!!!!

Was surfing metrotech web site and saw they NO LONGER MAKE THE 810 or 850! They have gone to a 810DX style unit which I hope is better than the 810DX ( which they stopped making). all in all there's going to be allot of upset locators.
    link Vivax-Metrotech

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Metrotech 810 and 850 gone!!!!

This sounds weird, but the 3 810's we have we didn't buy new. The older ones tend to be better made anyways. This is just great though. The guy who maintains our equipment is talking about retiring, if the manufacturer doesn't maintain the equipment it looks to rest solely on our shoulders..... sweet.

Hopefully they will still produce some replacement parts.

Mke

Years of Experience

That's the problem the reason they made the new units is per the web site " Over recent years components for these products have been made obsolete, increased in cost, and are increasingly becoming difficult to find." Going to be harder to fix as time moves on!

Years of Experience

I've talked to them, they'll keep repairing and maintaining old equipment for the next 5 years. They had to do a redesign due to the high cost of the old analog parts. I've seen the new 810 ad it feels more solid than the old one or the dx. I'm waiting on a demo when they role out some demo units to the sales guys. I'll post impressions once I get to see how they compare in the field.

Years of Experience

That's what the factory is saying, but the local repair shop is telling me that certain boards and items in the 810 are getting hard to come across. So someone who bought a NEW 810 in 2011 will end up in 2016 with a large paper weight!

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Metrotech had what they perceived as a problem.

Their Metrotech 810 was more labor intensive to make than their newer designs which translates as a smaller profit margin. Their problem was that the 810 is such a good design that their customers would not stop ordering it. Their customers were passing up their newer designs that costs thousands of dollars more in favor of the 810. So they were still making money off the 810 design just that somebody in a suit decided that had to make a larger profit margin than the 810 provided. While many of the parts may not be in common production any more they still could have production runs for Metrotech so if they want parts they will be available.

Metrotech bought out Vivax and want to sell Vivax machines at a much larger price tag. (I would never advocate using the Vivax for production locating) So in their mind set the 810 is competing too well against their Vivax line.

So now they 'kill' the still viable 810 thinking they will keep their customers with their other equipment.

I think they will find their greed is not good and they will lose market share.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I'm in the process of trying to get our repair shop to teach us how to repair our own techs. This still doesn't solve the "lack of parts" issue, but if we knew exactly how to diagnose issues we can keep an eye out for the parts and what have ya. Thats if we are smart enough to catch on to his training. Very rarely does he replace boards or hard shell items. most the time its the Plunger, depth switch, speaker and random diodes and resistors. We have a full blown electrical shop here that can do the work, we just don't have the experience to figure which parts to replace and which ones to keep.

Mke

Quote Originally Posted by montecarloss View Post
    Was surfing metrotech web site and saw they NO LONGER MAKE THE 810 or 850!
    Indeed, that's bad news. Quite popular models.

Years of Experience

I have a demo since last week. The new 810 looks different but is very much like the 810 Classic. The DX was a disaster but this new piece is solid. i like the way they changed the Batteries. I am impressed with the way they designed the new 810 and am happy to see it still around.

From my conversations with the Rep, they tried to streamline the entire product line and stop making multiple versions of the same machine. The Vivax folks knew that the 810 will not die so they tweaked it to make it new again.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Hey NY, How does it induce? (and not how, like is there a switch, but how like good, bad, or indifferent)

Mke

Years of Experience

HAHA!!!
    We dropped it right on a Primary and walked it with my Original 810 and it was right there, steady.

Much better than when they gave me DX 12 years ago and told me it was the same machine as my Original.

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I would greatly appreciate if someone could post a big, in depth review of this new 810 unit if they have the time. I would like to see at least 1,000 words on how exactly they feel with the vm810. I am very interested in this, does anyone know if they allow customers to preview the unit for a week or so for demonstration purposes for free? Looks like I will be calling next week.

I also agree that the 810DX reciever was not that great, the digital needle was way too shaky and not as crisp as the analouge needle on the classic 810. I do wish that the vm810 had a more informative brochure, the one up now seems kind of simple.

I am going to try and get a demo unit immediately and will post a huge in depth review of it.

Actually there are 2 videos already up on youtube

VM810-locator.wmv - YouTube
    Vivax-Metrotech 810 kabelsøker - YouTube
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng