Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meeting People

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Meeting People

I went to a locate the other day where I ended up talking to the HO for a while. When I was getting ready to go I told her to call in another locate so I could come back and see her pond. She asked for my number and told me that she would invite me back to have supper with her and her husband.

I thought this was very cool. I'm looking forward to spending an evening with them just relaxing. They had a nice place.

Has anyone ever gone to a locate and ended up making friends with the HO's to the point where you became a part of their life?

Years of Experience

Default Re: Meeting People

I think I can speak for most of us that work for SM&P here. We barely have time for a bathroom break let alone time to talk to homeowners. I actually cringe when I see a homeowner outside when I'm there to do a locate because I know their questions will slow me down.

I don't want to sound like I don't want to talk to people. It's just we are pushed so hard to get tickets done and all our projects that we just really don't have time to talk to people.

But to answer your question, no I haven't really met or became friends with any homeowners. But as far as other utility workers in my area that's a different story. I've worked in the same city for years and have became good friends with alot of the other utility workers and locators in my area.

Years of Experience

Of all people my mom got me into this business. She's a real chatter box. She'd constantly have homeowners inviting her over for meals or to swim in the pool or to come check out their landscaping after it was done, blah, blah, blah. Me, I'm not quite the chatterbox. I'll talk if someone wants to chit chat, but otherwise I just like get in and out.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

I do not usually have too much time to stop and chat but will do so on occasion to not be rude.

If it is the end of the day, then I don't mind. Had a locate last year where the lady was tearing up all her flower beds. My wife is a gardener and has been trying for years to grow California poppies. Well, this lady had a flower bed full of them.
    Asked her what she was doing with them and she said digging them up, and asked if I would like some. She must have given me a dozen pots full of california poppies.

Now we have them at home and at our little cottage at the lake.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Years of Experience
    na

Not trying to take the pessimistic side...

But I think it may have been a courtesy gesture...

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post
    I do not usually have too much time to stop and chat but will do so on occasion to not be rude.

If it is the end of the day, then I don't mind. Had a locate last year where the lady was tearing up all her flower beds. My wife is a gardener and has been trying for years to grow California poppies. Well, this lady had a flower bed full of them.
    Asked her what she was doing with them and she said digging them up, and asked if I would like some. She must have given me a dozen pots full of california poppies.

Now we have them at home and at our little cottage at the lake.

Have you any peyote in the garden also pray tell???

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    Have you any peyote in the garden also pray tell???

Well, there is an area of town that I occasionally get to that can be quite suspect.

Have not come across any of those delightful little cacti to date but should I do a locate at a home of a "child from the sixties" I'll maybe ask!

Peace and love brother!

Years of Experience

Never have with a homeowner have had a few after hour encounters though

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TBONE View Post
    Never have with a homeowner have had a few after hour encounters though
    Do tell, T.

Years of Experience
    na

Yes Do...

Years of Experience

Years of Experience

when i want to talk no one is out ...........when i don't have time to talk every person that called a ticket for that day is home and has a million questions to ask ............while i m trying to mark.....that is my story just about every day...... i love meeting new people.....

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    when i want to talk no one is out ...........when i don't have time to talk every person that called a ticket for that day is home and has a million questions to ask ............while i m trying to mark.....that is my story just about every day...... i love meeting new people.....

It sure seems that way some days.

I guess at times I am guilty of taking my locating equipment and perhaps my job for granted. From a homeowners point of view seeing it for the first time it must seem pretty advanced technically, which gives rise to questions.

Some questions I am sure seem pretty "obvious" to us who work it every day but not so obvious to the average homeowner.

Especially perhaps to seniors whose glory days were a selectric typewriter, a fax machine or maybe a phone they didn't have to crank first! And it's damned hard to remember that when you have a ton of tickets onboard.

Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post
    It sure seems that way some days.

I guess at times I am guilty of taking my locating equipment and perhaps my job for granted. From a homeowners point of view seeing it for the first time it must seem pretty advanced technically, which gives rise to questions.

Some questions I am sure seem pretty "obvious" to us who work it every day but not so obvious to the average homeowner.

Especially perhaps to seniors whose glory days were a selectric typewriter, a fax machine or maybe a phone they didn't have to crank first! And it's damned hard to remember that when you have a ton of tickets onboard.
    Oh.. the same here... They come out and stand there and stare... then... "That is really cool."... "I would love to do that job... are you guys hiring?"... or ... "Don't you get sick of hearing that thing all day?" I don't mind talking to a homeowner occassionally, but I have one ho at a new subdivision going up nearby, that everytime I am there he comes out and chats. It has gotten better now, but that first day he came over to my truck (I was getting ready to leave) and stood there leaning on my door! How do you tell an 80 yr old man to go away? I think he finally got the message when I was putting my truck into gear. He was nice and all but, I really didn't have the time to visit with him. It wasn't that long but you know 5 - 10 minutes can really eat up your day. Fortunately I was able to load pictures, pull up prints for next locate... rearrange my route and still not come across rude to him. So I guess my time wasn't "wasted". But why can't they come out when I don't have a lot going on...

Yahoo, it is definitely the rule of locating in this department... not much going on... no one wants to talk... running behind and/or a ton of tickets... EVERYONE wants to talk!

Remember Guys(and Gals) we are the only contact that the public has with our respective companies. Also, I can't wait to retire and then just look for locators to pester now and then
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast