• 1 Post By daman1
  • 1 Post By Wingfoot
  • 1 Post By TheCableVine

Thread: Is it Me?

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Is it Me?

I know locating is one of those industries where the phrase, "There's more than one way to skin a cat" really pertains. I know each locator does things slightly different then the next, but typically come up with the same results.

I was onsite today and met the USIC locator they tossed into my area for the day. They just started the contract over here and are still trying to find their legs in this area. I know the new guys who have never located before are going to have some issues and we tend to help them as much as we can in those situations.

The tech that came out this morning has been locating for a couple of years. He was almost through the locate when I arrived and he was chit chatting a little about the locate and the "new" company. When done, I asked him about a service he painted. I asked if he wanted to get into the fence to finish out the located. He told me, " I didn't get a good signal on that line.... Actually I didn't get any tone on that line, but there was flags there so he painted it."

I didn't push the issue. I figured the bore crew will contact him tomorrow for specifics on that line.

I drove down the road to talk with the inspectors and found the locators transmitter ringed around the drop for a guard shack.

I am realitively knowledgeable on how to locate and was puzzled by the distance he was pushing with his connection. The locate area itself had a MH which he could of easily hooked up into. It wasn't in the lane of travel and it wasn't filled to the rim with water. (Rare in the area we are at).

Do you guys find it weird as well where his hook up was compared to where the locate was and what is near the locate?

His hook up point was the Yellow area up top and the locate area was the Orange arrow on the bottom. It doesn't look like it but it's about 500' as the crew flies between the two but as the cable is laid it's closer to 700'.

He admitted to us that he was having trouble figuring out what signal was the line he wanted.

To his defense, He stated that he couldn't find that duct run on his maps. This is something I ran into quite a bit when I was locating the same utility for the one-call system. Usually I would open the vault and see the labeling and figure out it was ours. This locator didn't open the MH to verify.

I know there was a small thread on the facebook page the other day about weather one should direct connect to a TV ped or Ringclamp. I'm curious if you would hook this far away from the target area just to avoid going into a MH, or if I'm missing something completely.

What do you think?

If I did the Picture right, Pink is storm lines, Dark grey is abandoned and light grey denotes ownership and can be electrical or Communication. The rest follows appw color codes.

mke

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Is it Me?

If I got no signal I would be required to find a better connection point. Even so 700' away is too far for most locates especially in the congested area in your drawing.

What utility was he marking?

Years of Experience
    17 years

He clamped the easiest access point, cranked up the gain, and what didn't tone up, he marked in power mode. That's my guess. If I'm right, work like that will come back to haunt him quickly.

Years of Experience

yea too far with a ring clamp not bad d/c if you could unbond and isolate. but if there is someplace closer the better

Years of Experience

a ring clamp could be used at that distance with no problems .....in a perfect world ! with that said , everything would have needed to be bonded up perfect in this entire area and his kilowatt signal would have to been around 29-33 area . and he would have first located it right and already knew that the comm was in that area . Since I am sure we do not live in a perfect world, this was not very smart on his part , and I agree with the comments up top so far said .
    daman1 likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    a ring clamp could be used at that distance with no problems .....in a perfect world ! with that said , everything would have needed to be bonded up perfect in this entire area and his kilowatt signal would have to been around 29-33 area . and he would have first located it right and already knew that the comm was in that area . Since I am sure we do not live in a perfect world, this was not very smart on his part , and I agree with the comments up top so far said .
    Yup. If you're hoping to just light everything up like that and you haven't been there before, you'd better hope the last locator re-bonded everything in the peds. In my experience you can almost assume the last jaggass left everything unbonded. Re-bonding saves a lot of time down the road.
    Last edited by daman1; June 15th, 2016 at 10:34 PM.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    A USIC tech came out this morning that has been locating for a couple of years. He was almost through the locate when I arrived and he was chit chatting a little about the locate and the "new" company. When done, I asked him about a service he painted. I asked if he wanted to get into the fence to finish out the located. He told me, " I didn't get a good signal on that line.... Actually I didn't get any tone on that line, but there was flags there so he painted it."

He admitted to us that he was having trouble figuring out what signal was the line he wanted.

What do you think?

mke
    Greetings mke! We both know this 2 year locator is clueless due to ignorance or stupidity and shouldn't be locating that challenging ticket by himself. I have a three year locator calling me no less than 5 times a day, every day, with a "quick question." I have a nine year locator calling me no less than 3 times a day stating, "Let me run this by you." A person would think if you sling enough shit against a wall that some would eventually stick, but such is not the case with me. The former can't be trusted on any deep-dig ticket and I don't want to reveal here the latter's problem. My belief is neither of my teammates should be swinging a RD.................... just sayin.'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    daman1 likes this.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I remember just before I hit my 2 year mark. I had a conversation with the new head guy for the company. LI was just bought out by Dycom and they put this guy in to watch over the Pacific Northwest. He sat me down and went over my damage list with a fine tooth comb and lectured me about the, "sophomore slump". According to him, I had a great first year, but my second sucked. Despite the #'s on my damage list (14) I was overly paranoid. I opened everything and direct connected to anything that I could. I didn't see the same concern on this locator. We offered to help with opening the vault or getting him access to the Phone rooms to the near by buildings. He said he was "fine".

I just wish the "training" given to these guys actually helped them.

On a side note, The bore guys potholed today and his marks were about 2' off and the conduits had a tracer wire on them. His marks were convienently on the Power Conduits.

mke

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I'm thinking the guy is probably tired of locating. He just wants to get the ticket done and go to the next job so he can eventually go home and call it a day. He isn't paying for damages so he doesn't care too much if something gets hit. If he loses his job then he won't mind so much cause, as I said, he's tired of locating.

Just an opinion.
    yahoo likes this.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Hey Mke, I'm with Locating now in Salem, been there for over three years now. The USIC guys are not allowed to touch MHs from what I've heard, they are supposed to just do the best they can and call the master or lead tech for the area to handle the MH if it has to be opened. They can keep the Centurylink contract, all the old power we have down here is enough to keep us busy without unraveling that spaghetti mess.