30+

Default Man Trapped Happening NOW 5:20 pm est

Years of Experience
    30+

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Man Trapped Happening NOW 5:20 pm est

Tis the season... This happened last week or so..

Years of Experience
    30+

For us here it was a 3 hr rescue. He was standing on a 16" C.I, pipe @ 10' below grade when he slipped off the pipe and fell into the mud and sank to his waist. No wellpoints and had a 3" pump hose in a 6" or 8" pipe with slits in it to allow water in and keep the sand out. This will be a OSHA no brainer. No trench box. The crew were quick to toss wood for him to stand on. The wood sank under him and he ended up to his waist in mud. They were either doing a tie-in or a wet tap.

He was safely pulled out using 3-vac truck's to suck out the mud. All that time he was chained to a trackhoe holding most of his weight. The man is lucky to be alive.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    For us here it was a 3 hr rescue. He was standing on a 16" C.I, pipe @ 10' below grade when he slipped off the pipe and fell into the mud and sank to his waist. No wellpoints and had a 3" pump hose in a 6" or 8" pipe with slits in it to allow water in and keep the sand out. This will be a OSHA no brainer. No trench box. The crew were quick to toss wood for him to stand on. The wood sank under him and he ended up to his waist in mud. They were either doing a tie-in or a wet tap.

He was safely pulled out using 3-vac truck's to suck out the mud. All that time he was chained to a trackhoe holding most of his weight. The man is lucky to be alive.
    First off... I'm glad he got out safe. Hopefully he was un-injured.

Secondly... Who in thier right mind would go into an 10' deep hole without shoring? top that off, a single 3" trash pump in an 8" perf? that may work in rocky soil with a bit of water but that wouldn't work around here. Our Soil is mostly sand and you have to have some pretty good dewatering plans to get down to the 8' level let alone anything past 10'.

The deepest trench i've been in (please no old girlfriend jokes) has been about 10'. We had shoring upon shoring. Coffins with steel plates that breech the gaps between the coffins. We also had several dewatering measures, and I still was nervous being down that far. Especially when you had flowing sand through the pick holes in the steel plates.

Hopefully OSHA rips them one.

mke

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    First off... I'm glad he got out safe. Hopefully he was un-injured.

The deepest trench i've been in (please no old girlfriend jokes) has been about 10'.

Hopefully OSHA rips them one.

mke
    No ex-girlfriend jokes???? Dang, Mke, that's a thread killer.

Years of Experience

Many years ago I arrived on site for a relo for sewer mains and lats. 2 minutes after I got there a trench with no shoring collapsed and two men were buried. A father and son. They did not make it. I'll never forget that.