Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By paintitnow
  • 1 Post By mattm211

Thread: Making my own ground rod.

Years of Experience

Default Making my own ground rod.

Went to Lowes today and got a 8ft Galvanized steel ground rod to cut up and make a few personal ones for work. Got a bunch of shit from the old guy working their when I asked about getting a handle on it, he said, "Ground rods don't have or need handles son" with that tone of voice like he thought I was an idiot. I figure I could use a few spares since I've lost a few in the past. Anyone here ever make their own ground?

Years of Experience

Default Re: Making my own ground rod.

my machine has always come with a ground ...but that is a good idea for the day you get to one ticket and realize you left you other one at the other ticket
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    17 years

I could get the bar but I don't have a welder so I grab that super long screwdriver that everyone has on of and throw it in the truck. I've walked off on too many ground rods or broke them hammering them into the frozen dirt. The one with the unit is usually gone in a few months. If I had a welder, Id probably make a dozen and pass them out.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    I could get the bar but I don't have a welder so I grab that super long screwdriver that everyone has on of and throw it in the truck. I've walked off on too many ground rods or broke them hammering them into the frozen dirt. The one with the unit is usually gone in a few months. If I had a welder, Id probably make a dozen and pass them out.
    I have a "T" handle ground rod and I think the handle is 1/2" round stock and grounding rods is 3/8". Just find a welding shop or any auto body shop and ask them how much to weld it for you. For the frozen ground I use either the old ground pounder (slide hammer style). Cost like $20-30 to make. The other option is an 18" mason bit ans use a cordless drill to drill it in.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

Somehow, I've managed to keep same ground rod now for almost 2 years. But, it in my more forgetful times, I've used my cheap little 1$ walmart screw driver for a few months. In a real bind I made a ground out of like 5 flags twisted together and jammed them into the ground....actually used that for several weeks.
    yahoo likes this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I buy a couple of long decking nails, 10" to 12" long. When the ground is hard, rocky or frozen just pound them in with a hammer. They are durable and cheap so when you lose one you don't pay it any mind.

Years of Experience

I work in a very sandy soil area. A couple a years ago, I had a friend weld up a pitch fork like ground rod out of stainless steel. 3 15" sharpened tines attached to single bar. Then got a second one and tack welded a tele ground strap between the two. Works great in dry weather. Easy to push into the soil and gives me 7+ feet of ground and fits in my transmitter bag.
    Last edited by Kramit69; August 5th, 2014 at 08:57 PM.