Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low Impact Marking

Years of Experience
    30+

Default Re: Low Impact Marking

LL, what area of the world do you work in?

Wouldn't want to say at this time!!!!! A little too ........... Maybe later!!!!!!! As you know, I have a tendency to speak my mind, on the vine and on the job!!!!!!!

Years of Experience
    30+

I understand.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

L.L., can I make a small suggestion? I know that more than one person posts under that screenname. Would each of you please sign your postings, nothing complicated, just a Mr. LL or Ms. (Mrs.) LL? I don't get to stop in here as much as I used to, and I rarely know who is posting. Just a thought.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

i am curious to see that reply??????

Years of Experience

I checked the Excavators Guide for our state and it clearly states that it is the contractors responsibility to remove marks and flags after completion of work. I for one hope they never go to the low impact markings here. My hardmarks downtown save me a ton of time. I couldn't imagine not having any hardmarks down town.

Out here there are so many contractors that will recall in tickets for weeks before beginning the work. This would make for a real pain if everytime you went back there were no marks.

ABSOLUTE TRUTH: Always Mrs. - Mr. refuses to use computer at home because he thinks they are junk! He's always in the yard anyway! I live vicariously through many locators because I can speak freely about what is going on without possible reprecussions. I am currently not employed by any company. I am a stay at home mom who takes care of her child and father-in-law! Have been a locator and have been in this business since 1987 when I got out of the Marines and went to work for VA Power in Fairfax, VA. After my daughter was born, I quit locating, my husband is still a locator. He started about 12 years ago. Sometimes you will see a post about work - could be husband, could be other locators with issues they talk to me about. I am still in contact with many locators, supervisors, damage investigators, etc. from years of time. We all are basically in the same boat. Nothing ever changes, really. Same gripes from 1987. No real improvements. Some setbacks. Am truly hoping to see positive changes with new company. Maybe they will set the stage for all the others to follow suit. Sorry guys if I confused you. Not intentional. Sometimes get upset and rant.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky219 View Post
    We do need good white line laws, you need a sup with a back bone to stick up for what is right.
    It is getting a little better here with the white lines some contractors are acually doing it

Hey Guys,

Sorry I missed this thread until now. For the most part around the country, the municipalities that have anything the books about this make it either the contractor or the utilities responsibility to remove the paint.

Some utilities comply with the low impact stuff, others ignore it and take their chances. Some contractors put it into their bid, most ignore it.

I don't know of anywhere where the locstors are responsible for paint removal other than excessive paint and/or customer complants.
    Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

I have been giving this a great deal of thought as well.

As a locating company, it is our responsibility to locate and mark the utilities.

On every one of our tickets (okay you guys, stop LYAO) it clearly states "ATTENTION CONTRACTOR PLEASE REMOVE LOCATE FLAGS UPON COMPLETION OF EXCAVATION"

That I would believe be put there as a legal requirement because only the contractor knows when they are finished the job.

So legally speaking, the 1 call consortium here is saying to them to remove flags when...and only when...THE CONTRACTOR knows they are finished.

Would it not follow then that they would also remove paint markings?

Having said that, we can all expect a rucus from the contractors around what kind of paint and sizes of all markings etc. if it comes to them removing same.

As Golden said earlier, I rely on my old marks a fair bit in terms of production so these new marking requirements could slow production substantially by having to remark everything; with only an approximate idea where the underground infrastructure is.
    Last edited by underground quester; July 7th, 2008 at 02:07 AM.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12