Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jayc

Thread: Looks like trouble on the horizon. Or, maybe it is nothing to worry about.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Looks like trouble on the horizon. Or, maybe it is nothing to worry about.

I get to work this morning and my boss sticks his head out of the door and tells me not to go anywhere and then he heads back in. I think he needs to talk to me about a locate. No worries. All my locates are perfect. A few minutes later he emerges after another co-worker has shown up.

He starts the conversation with... "I got a bad call on Friday". I'm immediately thinking someone is pissed off and someone is to blame. Well, it ain't me. Then he goes on to say that West Valley Cable One has cancelled the contract and we cease to do their locates in January.

Oh. Not good.

Cable One is split into two entities over here. West Valley and Boise. Each has its own contract with us. West Valley is roughly about 1/3 of the ticket load I'm guessing. So, he let go one of the locators and will split up his work amongst the rest of us. We are also assured we will take a hit in our pay which sucks.

I guess W.V. wanted to take all of their locates out of house and give it to one company. It happens. Not too worried, though. I've been saving up my money in case something like this happened. I just hope Cable One Boise doesn't follow along.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Looks like trouble on the horizon. Or, maybe it is nothing to worry about.

Maybe more than explained. If you have three locators, drop 1/3 your tickets, drop one locator how is it the remaining two locators have to take a pay cut?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    I get to work this morning and my boss sticks his head out of the door and tells me not to go anywhere and then he heads back in. I think he needs to talk to me about a locate. No worries. All my locates are perfect. A few minutes later he emerges after another co-worker has shown up.

He starts the conversation with... "I got a bad call on Friday". I'm immediately thinking someone is pissed off and someone is to blame. Well, it ain't me. Then he goes on to say that West Valley Cable One has cancelled the contract and we cease to do their locates in January.

Oh. Not good.

Cable One is split into two entities over here. West Valley and Boise. Each has its own contract with us. West Valley is roughly about 1/3 of the ticket load I'm guessing. So, he let go one of the locators and will split up his work amongst the rest of us. We are also assured we will take a hit in our pay which sucks.

I guess W.V. wanted to take all of their locates out of house and give it to one company. It happens. Not too worried, though. I've been saving up my money in case something like this happened. I just hope Cable One Boise doesn't follow along.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Looks like trouble on the horizon. Or, maybe it is nothing to worry about.

I'm with ya. The boss said he would show us the numbers and I said I wasn't worried about it thinking along those same lines. He said he is going to show us the numbers and we are taking a hit.

What I gave are rough estimates.

Years of Experience

TheCableVine likes this.

Years of Experience

So who got the west valley contract?

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    so who got the west valley contract?
    elm

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

TheCableVine, did your company have the lowest ticket price for the locates? If so I am surprised you guys were not given more territory over time. Are you sure that the only reason for the switch was simply because the cable company wanted a single company doing everything, even if it meant they paid more?

It could be that you guys were simply underbid by the local mcdonald's of locating, elm.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Yeah... I'm sure. This is based on past discussions our boss has had with the cable company. I can't give details. I don't know if he would want the details shared.