Thread: Looking for Hard Hat recommendation for locators

Years of Experience

Default Looking for Hard Hat recommendation for locators

The company I work for recently changed their requirements for locators and the use of hard hats. Every time a company locator gets out of their truck, they are required to wear a hard hat. Previous to this past Friday we were required to wear them only when in a "construction zone" (see OSHA definitions). In general, while I don't like the policy only because I don't like wearing hats, I can deal with it. My issue is the brims on the hard hats. Locators naturally walk with their eyes on the ground or their locator. With a brim on a hard hat, I noticed that my vision is greatly impaired in front of me as I walk.

Are their other locators who have had similar issues with hard hats and how have you solved this safety issue. Hard hats are obviously here to stay for my company. I am just looking for options aside from putting the hard hat on backwards so the brim is to the back. Is there a hard hat on the market that has NO brim? I searched online but haven't found any yet. What do you do?

Default Re: Looking for Hard Hat recommendation for locators

I like Bullard Hard Hats. As far as 'No' Brim goes? I have never seen a hat without one. The two closest versions you are talking about would be a Climbing/Rescue Helmet and Bullards SRX Rescue Helmet.

I believe they are the only ones built to any type of OSHA standard for falling debris.

Years of Experience

Take the suspension liner out and reverse it. Brim now to the back.

Years of Experience

I did find a style hard hat that would work for doing what you suggested this morning. Previously, I had been using a full surround brimmed hard hat. I am still looking for a better solution, however, thank you for you excellent suggestion. I will use it as I continue to search.

While taking the suspension of the hat out would allow the OP to 'follow' company rules (in non construction site/equipment areas), I think the temptation to not bother putting the suspension back in when you actually should have the protection would be too great.
    Without the suspension harness in the hat, its not much more than a tupperware bowl on your head !
    (the suspension is what spreads out and slows down the impact force)

(I know you knew that.. just thought it important to point out)
    (May you live in interesting times)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave72 View Post
    While taking the suspension of the hat out would allow the OP to 'follow' company rules (in non construction site/equipment areas), I think the temptation to not bother putting the suspension back in when you actually should have the protection would be too great.
    Without the suspension harness in the hat, its not much more than a tupperware bowl on your head !
    (the suspension is what spreads out and slows down the impact force)

(I know you knew that.. just thought it important to point out)
    He said to reverse it.....that means putting the sweat band to the back of the hard hat, away from the brim. Suspension is still in, but now you can wear it with the brim in back and still have the impact protection.

But thanks for the safety reminder.

True. I suppose I read it as 'take it out (toss it aside) and wear just the shell backwards'.
    The reason why I thought that, was the last hat I used had a suspension that you couldnt reverse. The adjuster bit was extra long to grab onto the 'bump' on the back of your head (anti-tip thing). When you reversed it, the mechanism wouldnt fit.
    I havent tried it on my new hat. It has a pretty short brim (compared to the old ones).

On the other side of things, Ive seen some companies that supply hats with extra large brims all around (like a panama hat ?). I guess the idea is to keep the sun off of your ears and neck, maybe the rain too ?? I didnt try one on, I figure it would be heavier ?
    (May you live in interesting times)

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I would simply reverse the hardhat to get rid of the lip blocking your sight, I also heard that they sell 'vented' hardhats so you get some cool air in there too.

Then again, I talk pretty tough for a man without health insurance!