Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locator Wish List

Years of Experience

Default Locator Wish List

What would you include on a wish list for an ideal locator?

Capabilities?

Frequencies?

Power?

Features?

Features to leave out?

Other characteristics?

I've read threads talking about the RD8000, Vivax VLoc Pro and others. Some praise, some complaints. So what would you use if you could have anything you wanted?

Years of Experience
    retired

Default Re: Locator Wish List

... not including X-ray vision or ground-penetrating radar, right?
    "Aye, verily hath I spoken." - Thor, god of thunder

Years of Experience

Most folks I talk to want the X-ray vision but not the GPR unless it is featherlight, works in all soil types, and only shows utilities (not tree roots, rocks, etc.). HaHa.

Let's try to keep it within the realm of reality. No Star Trek stuff.

Years of Experience

Wishes?? Hmmmm...
    A overly simple multi frequency machine. The transmitter should be small as possible, but still able to push 10 watts.
    Has to be able to induce very well in 32khz, 83khz, 200khz and 480khz.
    Weight cannot be emphasized enough. RD has the right idea with the weight of the rd8000.
    Transmitter and transmitters should be designed so that it is comfortable to hold a paint stick and probe rod in the same hand.
    A specific power mode like the Vivax power60 mode should be standard.
    I also need a ferromagnetic locator and an Electronic Marker System locator.

It would be awesome if it also attracted hot women and despensed beer and cash, all those other things are wishes not needs.

Years of Experience

If it dispensed cash then you might not have any problem attracting hot women (who dispense beer).

a new job

Years of Experience

I LUV my feather-light RD8000! I use it with my lightweight 1-watt RD400 transmitter as my mainline locator set-up. For my big pre-cast concrete water mains, cast iron gas & water mains, deep utilities and long distance country fibers I use my flat 5-watt RD transmitter with the RD8000. This combo is SWEET! I haven't mastered the Blue Tooth option on the RD8000 transmitter/receiver combo as yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Respect for the knowledge required for the job (and to do it right, one has to have ALOT of it), preferably with a regulated licensing process to even BECOME a locator (and the pay that goes WITH such a licensed profession).

Respect from the middle-management with NO clue of how to do WHAT we do that insures THEY have a job. Yeah the same ones who insist on signing CRAP contracts that require insane production standards simply to be profitable and then think of wonderful ways to "save" money, *cough*GPS*cough* *cough*Auto-dispatch*cough*, without thought to the work conditions of the field worker.

Respect from field contractors (considering we often have their lives in our hands, you'd think THAT would be automatic).

Respect from utility representatives and the backing to enforce the dig laws that are in effect. (WE are not your damn insurance company, just 'cus it's easier to bill us than a contractor.)

Dig laws with teeth aimed at - 1. enforcing current regulations; 2. requiring on site visits by contractors (who also need to notify the damn property owners of their intentions) BEFORE locate request is made; 3. regulation of call centers focusing on MINIMIZING locate scopes to actual work areas, and obtaining DETAILED dig instructions as opposed to generalized descriptions designed to protect contractors who haven't even LOOKED at the work site.

Gimme that, and I won't care one whit the piece of equipment you give me, I'll make it work.
    Last edited by RD_Wrangler; July 15th, 2010 at 10:54 PM.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience

a machine that locates plastic and metal and one that tells you that you got off on the wrong cable or line!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

325 L

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Demolition.jpg

That should locate things just fine.

mke

Years of Experience

As much as I'd like a piece of equipmengt that would do it all, I'm with RD Warangler. Laws with teeth and the guts to enforce them.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by RD_Wrangler View Post
    Respect for the knowledge required for the job (and to do it right, one has to have ALOT of it), preferably with a regulated licensing process to even BECOME a locator (and the pay that goes WITH such a licensed profession).

Respect from the middle-management with NO clue of how to do WHAT we do that insures THEY have a job. Yeah the same ones who insist on signing CRAP contracts that require insane production standards simply to be profitable and then think of wonderful ways to "save" money, *cough*GPS*cough* *cough*Auto-dispatch*cough*, without thought to the work conditions of the field worker.

Respect from field contractors (considering we often have their lives in our hands, you'd think THAT would be automatic).

Respect from utility representatives and the backing to enforce the dig laws that are in effect. (WE are not your damn insurance company, just 'cus it's easier to bill us than a contractor.)

Dig laws with teeth aimed at - 1. enforcing current regulations; 2. requiring on site visits by contractors (who also need to notify the damn property owners of their intentions) BEFORE locate request is made; 3. regulation of call centers focusing on MINIMIZING locate scopes to actual work areas, and obtaining DETAILED dig instructions as opposed to generalized descriptions designed to protect contractors who haven't even LOOKED at the work site.

Gimme that, and I won't care one whit the piece of equipment you give me, I'll make it work.
    + 1000 friend. This one gets my vote for best post on this site.......ever.

RD 8000 with the depth reading on Power Mode and a transmitter about 1/2 the size and weight. Also, a 4" and 10" clamp. Oh yeah, and Death and Dismemberment to the person who invented GPS!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by RD_Wrangler View Post

We've got enforcement at least here in Colorado. I've said it before, if you can piece together or already are a really good SUE firm, there's plenty of work you can take away from the poor firms here.

I also agree with RD_Wrangler. That being said, only a manual gain RD400 PXL reciever works for me. Yeah, I know it's about 30 years old but it's so smoooooooth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast