Thread: locator jobs

Years of Experience

Angry locator jobs

Why are locating so scared to hire someone like me with experence and a proven track record . The pay I ask for aint great but I am not a beginner . I dont pull punches , I say it like it is , if something dont seem right i speak out . Bottom line , good work for a good days wage . I have located almost everything and supervised many . I guess i am scary looking or being 50 yrs old bothers them...lol
    But still looking .

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: locator jobs

Quote Originally Posted by dragon View Post
    Why are locating so scared to hire someone like me with experence and a proven track record . The pay I ask for aint great but I am not a beginner . I dont pull punches , I say it like it is , if something dont seem right i speak out . Bottom line , good work for a good days wage . I have located almost everything and supervised many . I guess i am scary looking or being 50 yrs old bothers them...lol
    But still looking .
    You hit part of it on the head. I also am very experienced in this field and an older worker like yourself. In interviews I have been bluntly, and illegally, told I was too old to work there.

Another thing you face is they really do not like your experience. I have heard many times "I would rather hire someone green than an experienced locator. Experienced locators are too set in their own ways and I can train a green guy to do it my way." I fecal thee not.

Years of Experience

hope something works out for you !!!! just keep pestering them and someone will finally put you to work .....just my thoughts !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Don't even bother looking, believe me save yourself I have over 17 years exp, and was let go for no reason and
    I think the reason was my pay scale which I capped and was ok with that, but what you have with the shitty contract companies
    Is that when the contract flips to another you get the same shit management the same shot pay
    And the know it all techs, and to include your exp in the field and your pay whatever it was, they figure they can hire in gringo to
    Do your job for 8-10 bucks an hour but in the long run its going to cost them money with high profile damages.
    I moved to this small shit kicking town years ago and everything is done on the redneck good ol boy system. I had one of the laziest supervisors who didn't do shit but sit on his 500lbs lazy ass in the office in his nasty sweat pants that he wore every day the same pair and smelled and yeah he got paid the big money, while we are out the busting ass and all they want is more more more.

Years of Experience

I have seen it a few times , companies hire green people , they get a major hit and can them in less than a month . One company i worked for was bad about that and the regional super even told me he didnt care . He hated to come to a new area to do a start up and just didnt give a crap , didnt hire some people that have been working the area for years even though they werent getting paid alot . He wanted to pay even less . But another company i have worked for had a good starting pay , depending on experence , lower pay for newbys and more for experenced ones . But i have found if you have a super with a backbone and will go to bat for his people you get better results from a crew . Bottom line , treat people right and you get results . But some supers think that they have perfect and they are the worst for any company . Seen way too many of those . But on the flip side I habe had a few supers that I did all I could for because they back me whenever i needed it . I admitted when I screwd up and was always honest . The bottom line for all this rambling is respect ,no if ands or buts. Thank you for listening to my elder babbling....lol

Years of Experience
    na

I have seen it a few times , companies hire green people , they get a major hit and can them in less than a month . One company i worked for was bad about that and the regional super even told me he didnt care . He hated to come to a new area to do a start up and just didnt give a crap , didnt hire some people that have been working the area for years even though they werent getting paid alot . He wanted to pay even less . But another company i have worked for had a good starting pay , depending on experence , lower pay for newbys and more for experenced ones . But i have found if you have a super with a backbone and will go to bat for his people you get better results from a crew . Bottom line , treat people right and you get results . But some supers think that they have perfect and they are the worst for any company . Seen way too many of those . But on the flip side I habe had a few supers that I did all I could for because they back me whenever i needed it . I admitted when I screwd up and was always honest . The bottom line for all this rambling is respect ,no if ands or buts. Thank you for listening to my elder babbling....lol

Consider it like being an old soldier spending time in campaign where you may survive or not survive on a daily basis - when the campaign ceases in both cases its hard to walk away, because in both cases you only learned how to live or die by the rifle, or paint stick which is not applicable in many other occupations.

The challenges of completing a squirrelly locate, the rush of getting told about a damage not knowing if you have to enter the octagon for some hand to hand to defend the damage, the relief of having done the locate accurately, or suffer a knockout from a miss. Other occupational challenges dont in most cases compare to the locating theatre challenge.

But just like those that are challenged adjusting to a more peacful environment after being in a combat theatre, we the older veterans of locating no longer wanted and needed for our grunt work service, need to overcome the past and survive onto the next challenge of being hopeful in a new more rewarding, and prosperous future.

We need to make peace and take solace in our accomplishments and survival, not be jaded with an industry flooded with grey areas, moving targets, those riddled physically, those fallen by the roadsides, and those taking of their own lives.

We must muster ourselves to greater achievement beyond our past tenous challenges.

And in said stating and proclaiming and thus and so let me offer you this small token of gratitude for accomplishment as others may never had recognized -

Years of Experience
    20+

But still looking .
    Bottom line is guys with our experience level are older employees. We do require and have earned the higher wages for our commitment to this line of work..Problem is we cut into the bottom line to much, costing these locating companies too much per locate to have us doing it when they can hire that newbie to do it for half as much increasing their profit. Yeah, they are going to take a lot more damages and not get nearly the productivity, but the suits at corporate level don't care. I have firsthand knowledge that USIC acknowledged that they would like to have a 2-3 year experience level across the board with their employees and eliminate the guys like us that have tried to make this line of work a career. It's sad that we are responsible for such critical infrastructure protection, human life, and property protection and management is willing to risk all of that by eliminating those of us that really care about it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by radar o reily View Post
    Bottom line is guys with our experience level are older employees. We do require and have earned the higher wages for our commitment to this line of work..Problem is we cut into the bottom line to much, costing these locating companies too much per locate to have us doing it when they can hire that newbie to do it for half as much increasing their profit. Yeah, they are going to take a lot more damages and not get nearly the productivity, but the suits at corporate level don't care. I have firsthand knowledge that USIC acknowledged that they would like to have a 2-3 year experience level across the board with their employees and eliminate the guys like us that have tried to make this line of work a career. It's sad that we are responsible for such critical infrastructure protection, human life, and property protection and management is willing to risk all of that by eliminating those of us that really care about it.
    I can keep up with people half my age , but yet know when i need to slow down and not just speed thru everything . You would think that locating companies would take adavatage of our exp and hire us for trainers or for fighting damages . We already know the ins and outs of the feild . And hiring some of us "old timers , would only help improve the overall income for any company . We aint quick to up and quit on them , we are settled and always there . No flights of fancy . Just good hars working people . I guess we are a thing of the past . But I for one aint going to lay down and die . I will prove to some company that I am worth it . And help move us more exp people to the fore ground . Like my huskies . I may be getting older but i know when to bite and when to relax.