Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Locator Certification

Years of Experience

Question Locator Certification

Another old board topic.

The Florida Utilities Coordinating Committee (FUCC) has recently started a sub-committee on Locator Certification. This idea fits with a current push to certify Utility Coordinators. The FUCC offers a certification course here in Florida for Utility Coordination and our State DOT has agreed to recognize the Coordinator certification.

The committee is taking up the issue at the State level, but this could morph into a national issue. The committee has invited NULCA, the Utility Training Academy and Staking U to advise on creating such a state cert and provide info on the minimum criteria for certification. What is the opinion of the "Viners"?

I welcome the idea. It will force everyone to standardize the level of training that they provide their employees before they throw them out in the field.

Years of Experience
    30+

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by GWJ_CAS View Post
    Another old board topic.

The Florida Utilities Coordinating Committee (FUCC) has recently started a sub-committee on Locator Certification. This idea fits with a current push to certify Utility Coordinators. The FUCC offers a certification course here in Florida for Utility Coordination and our State DOT has agreed to recognize the Coordinator certification.

The committee is taking up the issue at the State level, but this could morph into a national issue. The committee has invited NULCA, the Utility Training Academy and Staking U to advise on creating such a state cert and provide info on the minimum criteria for certification. What is the opinion of the "Viners"?
    I agree with this. They have had voluntary certified Utility Coordinators for the last few years. her in the Tampa area. I have been "Voluntary-ed Certified for a while. I am also a Certified Utility locator. I think all certs should be handled through one department. Such as the Department of Professional Regulations or someone similar.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by GWJ_CAS View Post
    Another old board topic.

Sounds like a great idea Countrywide...look forward to meeting you at the Rodeo.

Banned

Default Looks good on Paper

People I agree that we all should certified. After all we Protect the public from great harm. Police officer must be tested to firer there weapon. Nurses must be certified to do there jobs. Even the person who cuts your hair has to be certified. This all looks good on paper but as long there is Sub-contract locating Companys. It will never happen. Why give the any more reason to pay you what you are worth. I have a friend who finished two college coarse and became a Physical therpist asst, Starting pay out of school $25.00 per hour Full benifits and yes she is certified. I dont know any locator who gets that pay Starting or Experence locator. There dont want to pay for training or what you are worth. And look who runs NULCA the SUB-Contractors

Years of Experience
    na

Exclamation

I would be more than glad to present locators with certifications for a small fee of course...

Oh and remember the Great Oz gave the lion courage, the tin man a heart and the scare crow a diploma...

Well,

It will be something along those lines...

How boutcha as LOOPYwould say?.?.?.

Oh

Years of Experience

Sure why not then you can weed out the ones that cant really preform this job but get by while the vets cover thier asses and bail them out cause they CANT LOCATE CRAP!!!!!!!! sorry am I the only one who gets all the fiber infested tickets cause the other jerk that has been here just as long as me says I cant get it to run?????

Years of Experience
    na

If you had a "Loopy" like me you could make that issue go away ...

hee hee hee

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    If you had a "Loopy" like me you could make that issue go away ...

hee hee hee

Even if loopy gives it away it still comes right back

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Absolutely support an initiative like that 100%.

I have stated since I got into this business that this needs to be recognized as the profession that it truly is...not just a job that "anyone off the street could do" as many companies would have us believe.

I truly believe it will be outside forces that bring change here in Alberta. I do not believe there is the will within the First Call Corporation, the corporation utility shareholders nor the contract companies that serve them.

I do see want and need within the private locating field and there is some movement in that direction to certify "private" locators. I have taken the course and am working toward the requirements for final certification. Even though I am not a private locator I put my money and time where my mouth is. The company would not pay for the course, nor would they pay for my time away from work. No matter, I am doing it for me, not for my present employer.

It is about bloody time someone stepped forward to get this thing started.

(Okay, I will step down off my soap box now!)
    Last edited by underground quester; May 27th, 2008 at 09:32 PM.

Years of Experience

Right on

Banned

Good for those who have paid for themselves to be certified. But what you may not see is you are saying to the ones who are not williing to pay that the locators are willing. I have family to support and do the low pay for SM&P locators we cant afford to pay for are certification

Banned

Default Do any of you have any money to pay for my Certfication

Staking University Class Fees

Full Certification Week $1920
    Part 1 $1000
    Part 2 $1000
    Custom on-site training
    One-day to five-day classes available. $45.00/hour travel fee in addition to daily rate. $1600 per day plus travel expenses

Please send your check to ------------

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Trent3342 View Post
    Sounds like a great idea Countrywide...look forward to meeting you at the Rodeo.
    it is about time trent3342......................dude where have you been??? i am sorry i meant to call you and tell you you had to register again......how is the lsu tigers

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Locatingart View Post
    Good for those who have paid for themselves to be certified. But what you may not see is you are saying to the ones who are not williing to pay that the locators are willing. I have family to support and do the low pay for SM&P locators we cant afford to pay for are certification
    Yes locatingart, you are right. I never gave that perspective any thought.

I know there are several people within the company I work for that want to take the course but when you add up the costs (course, meals, transportation, lost wages...it is expensive as heck).

And, I guess the issue is if certification becomes a requirement, who pays then? If I am an employee the employer might be forced to. If I am trying to get into the field, I guess it would be on me. Just the same as anyone going to school for most other forms of certification/degrees.

I am wondering, are there any government grants, student loans, or low interest financing available? Not familiar with how that works in the U.S.

Thanks for the insight into your perspective!
    Last edited by underground quester; May 27th, 2008 at 10:18 PM.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast