Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Locating Terminology

Years of Experience

Default Re: Locating Terminology

Locator= A person wedged firmly under a Bus !!!
    Nb22x likes this.

What's everyone's beef with USIC? I work for them in Oklahoma City & i love it. And, yes, I'm a locator - not some bean counter in management. Granted, I have a great supervisor, so maybe that's it. Anyway, just really curious as to what the problems are that people are having with USIC

Quote Originally Posted by rmbonnette View Post
    What's everyone's beef with USIC? I work for them in Oklahoma City & i love it. And, yes, I'm a locator - not some bean counter in management. Granted, I have a great supervisor, so maybe that's it. Anyway, just really curious as to what the problems are that people are having with USIC
    I see JM has you drinking the Kool-Aid. Just don't let him catch you 'flat-dicking' it!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

'At-Risk' Taking a bite of slim jim at a red light... ( hope we never get those, I kinda like eating junk food on the run)

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    I see JM has you drinking the Kool-Aid. Just don't let him catch you 'flat-dicking' it!
    Actually they do have some decent Field Sups in OKC Spray. A lot of them are long time locators themselves. Of course there are a couple of them that swung a wand for 6 months and think they know all there is to know about locating too...

I'm assuming rmbonnette has one of the former. If it's KB, tell him his favorite Lead in the Pacific Northwest said "Hi!"
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Big hitter . . . . the excavator who hits and hits and hits - completing ignoring your paint

A new one I heard today - Playing Frogger = locating in the medians of busy streets.

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Drop Ticket: This is when your supervisor is drilling the only female on the crew.
    Used in a sentence: "No wonder I couldn't get hold of Alan. He was doing a drop ticket with Marla!"

Hernia Helper: This is the cantilever hook for MH lids.
    Used in a sentence: "I just pipehorned that conduit run 'cause I didn't feel like dragging out my hernia helper."

Act of Congress: This is what it takes to get help from the engeneering dept. of any utility company.

Act of God: This is what it takes to get your supervisor to back you up.

Prospectors: These are contractors who pan for information on an area to see if they need to make a one call.
    Used in a sentence:"I could probably get in three more tickets a day if I didn't have to talk to prospectors every other job."

Hit the Lottery: This is when all excavation will be performed on the opposite side of the the street from the MH run, 3Ph power run, and the TV is in the air.
    Used in a sentence: "I had to read the ticket five times. I couldn't believe I'd hit the lottery."

I got more.

Another:

Where's Waldo? - trying to find anything on Viper prints?

I especially love it when the sup is 45 minutes late to the group meet every time, then complains that everyone is behind on their tickets.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locatethis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Locator5000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by [HAF]Foxtrot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Roll-Over-(insert name of Damage Investigator) --- works for no matter what company you work for.

mke
    Light it up/C.Y.A: Self explanatory
    Landing strip = extra wide or multiple conduit runs
    Shop Rocket - Young, upwardly mobile tech who will do anything at anytime to advance to the next level. Usually ends up a supervisor within a year.

Comet - Young, upwardly mobile tech who does too much too soon and crashes in a grand fashion.
    Candyland = Carmel or 'Caramel' Indiana - USIC headquarters
    Zinger - That magical moment when you become the connection between your red and black leads.
    Getting Dinged = When you have a damage that the investigator for the utility, the investigator for your company, and the contractor... all agree you had it marked properly and yet your management comes down on you with both feet over a technicality.
    Locator= A person wedged firmly under a Bus!!!
    Just as Goldenboy has stated, the above terminologies are the ones Wingfoot likes. Wingfoot thought a "Landing Strip" was pertaining to something much smaller than "curb to curb" marks......................

Quote Originally Posted by gogo49 View Post
    Whacked - getting a damage

My first week in the field, way back in 1997, I was riding along with my mentor when we got the call, "Damage - Cut CATV feeder." My mentor looked me in the eye, and with a straight face, said we were going to find out why the CATV mainline just got "Whacked." Acting like the NOOB that I was, I laughed like I just heard the punch line of the "Dirty Joke of the Day." I guess it was his emphasis on the word "Whacked" that made it so funny!

This past winter, I was talking to a contractor that has been digging for a living for more than 30 years. Using the same emphasis as my mentor years ago, I was explaining my marks to the contractor so nothing gets "Whacked." His reaction to the word "Whacked" was the same as my reaction to the word 14 years ago. Drying his eyes, he said, "So that's what you guys call cuts."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234