Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wingfoot

Thread: Locating at an AT&T Crossbox

Years of Experience

Default Locating at an AT&T Crossbox

Saturday I marked out a Crossbox for the addition of yet another cable. The prints show 3 existing cables in the Crossbox; a small cable going west and two 900 pairs going east. Each 900 pair reaches 10' from the box to feed a buried splice; one is a 4-way splice and the other a 5-way splice. I used 2 transmitters hooking up out-end back to the splices. As I took my post locate photos, I realized I never opened the Crossbox doors to confirm the prints. Oh Boy! I missed a newer 300 pair and 2 drops! I can understand the 300 pair, but drops? Everything I missed was in the path of the new cable being installed! It's a miracle I don't get something whacked every day......
    Nb22x likes this.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Locating at an AT&T Crossbox

Drops in a crossbox is a rarety. I have to say...You stay around long enough in this business you stop saying "that's new to me". Locating from the outside in is a very effective technique. I often use the analogy of a spider web when discussing locating in a congeted area. I've been locating and instructing 6 way locates for almost 10 years and all it take is one shortcut or a loss of focus and a damaged facility will result. It wasn't a miricle; the fact that you were on you game to the end is what saved that damage. Good Job.

Years of Experience

well that's a first for me .....i have not come across a cross box yet that had svc's in them..... how is it that we forget something so simple as opening up the box just to see what is actually in it...............

There's something to be said for experience - that's when you just get a feeling that something's not quite right with the locate you are doing. I guess it's intuition or whtever you want to call it, but I believe all experienced locators have it - or they wouldn't last long enough to become experienced.

Also, doesn't it kind of make you feel good and all tingly inside when you can look back and go "Na Na Na" didn't get me that time
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

I honestly can say I've never seen a drop come from a crossbox. I can't believe you'd even see a drop in a crossbox. Maybe the crossboxes in your area are neater than out by me. In my area it takes a contortionist just to get to the bond straps.

Drops in those boxes are common in my area, but have you ever seen the phone company bury inside wire from ped to ped to get an extra pair? And then they expect you to locate this crap and get it right.
    If you are not a Liberal by age 20, then you do not have a heart! If you are not a Conservative by age 40, then you do not have a brain!!!

Years of Experience

WHat I do and yes I know it takes a little bit longer but I like to run to the cross box than from it less chance of a bleed off and you get the isolate it better that way....just my 2 cents