Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Locating in the snow.

Years of Experience
    retired

Default Re: Locating in the snow.

Wing - that's what, 1/4" of snow they're poking around on in your picture? LOL. Really. I get amused when they shut down the airports in Atlanta when there's ANY snow whatsoever... don't the Cub Scouts have anything better to do? (I know the pic is from Houston, just anywhere warmer than here, I get a giggle how people freak out so easily when it snows.)

Here's for those south of the cheese border:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails snows_a_comin.jpg   snows_a_comin2.jpg  
    Last edited by wet_boots101; December 8th, 2009 at 03:48 PM. Reason: clarification
    "Aye, verily hath I spoken." - Thor, god of thunder

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    Good luck with that guys, be careful and stay warm.
    Anyone in the Dodge, Washington and sheboygan counties. If you are locating today take it slow. These counties received more than 10" of snow. The cold and windy weather is to come later today, so don't spend to much time in the feild, your work will be gone by tomorrow morning...

Years of Experience

Only in Texas would they call that accumulating snow. Probably shut the place down.

i'm kinda glad i don't work over there was gonna say is there any jobs for me in the summer months

First winter I've had to work. Being laid-off kicks ass. Paint the snow? Why bother doing something if You know You''ll have to do it again. It sucks. But what doesnt these days?

I have heard "why mark something if you know you will have to mark it again?"

To start, i understand that redundancy in our type of work causes headaches. Also, it doesn't seem like there is a point. I have an understanding that time is money. If you are a large locating company with many utility companies contracts, you have no choice if there is specific laws stating a time limit to work the job, (i.e. onecall,emergency one call, etc)

Personally, if a client wanted me to locate in the snow i would do it. Most likely it would be some sort of emergency escavation. But, i would not want to be out of work. Private locators only pick up where the one call terminates...

Basically, rain sleet or snow, i personally would work it. In respect for locators that see more than a foot of snow at a time, i don't know how well a line tracer would work in 3+ feet of snow. Especially if the freeze line in more than 60''...

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfltn View Post
    I have heard "why mark something if you know you will have to mark it again?"

To start, i understand that redundancy in our type of work causes headaches. Also, it doesn't seem like there is a point. I have an understanding that time is money. If you are a large locating company with many utility companies contracts, you have no choice if there is specific laws stating a time limit to work the job, (i.e. onecall,emergency one call, etc)

Personally, if a client wanted me to locate in the snow i would do it. Most likely it would be some sort of emergency escavation. But, i would not want to be out of work. Private locators only pick up where the one call terminates...

Basically, rain sleet or snow, i personally would work it. In respect for locators that see more than a foot of snow at a time, i don't know how well a line tracer would work in 3+ feet of snow. Especially if the freeze line in more than 60''...
    I do it because we are paid to mark regardless. Plus I know there will be a another ticket called in to have it remarked so I will be back to mark it again, this is money in the bank to the locate firm and job security for me. I usually remember what I did last time so it goes faster on the remark.

The alternative to not marking it is to take the day off without pay.

If the snow is not too deep lay the paint on heavy. When the snow melts the paint settles onto the grass in a lace work like pattern. It makes the remark easy.

To get the paint to go on extra heavy take a knife and cut off the top end of the nozzle. This makes a larger opening lowering the velocity of the paint yet increasing the amount of paint coming out. This works great for dried out earth on constructions sites during the summer. Instead of blowing away the top layer as dust the and dirt stays in place and takes the paint.

As for deep snow, never had a problem. I had one site where the snow had drifted up to my waist yet the contractor was still working. Marked it just fine with no trouble from the equipment. I will make another post about that job, the funniest things we have seen a contractor do.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

professional,

I could not agree with you more. Beside the two day suspension, what about when the contractor comes and begins and hits something. A person could be hurt or killed.

As the guy that states why do we have to mark if we are going to mark it again. All I can add is, "because it is your job to mark it. I have never seen anywhere on my tickets have I ever seen "only if you feel like it". I could fill a weeks of post at how many times I bitched about a contractor having me do something that I know I will have to be back to redo. but I did it anyway. I would put down heavy paint and flag every mark so that when I come back I could see the route easier and be able to remark in less time.

Most of the time that blew it off is sitting home and the person on call or some who is out later doing their own tickets gets the call for a "no show" or "incomplete marks" and has to leave their area to go do the work this guy blew off. Always harder to locate in the dark and takes longer.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    If the snow is not too deep lay the paint on heavy. When the snow melts the paint settles onto the grass in a lace work like pattern.
    This is my favorite. I just wish we'd get a warm up so my paint could settle.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    To get the paint to go on extra heavy take a knife and cut off the top end of the nozzle. This makes a larger opening lowering the velocity of the paint yet increasing the amount of paint coming out.
    A pair of toe nail clippers works great to clip the nozzles of paint real quick without getting your fingers full of paint. It works great to keep the nozzles from freezing in real cold temps also.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234