Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Locating in the snow.

Years of Experience

Default Locating in the snow.

For those of us who work in the midwest there is a definate snowy winter season. Do most of you work the winter or take lay-off? I've worked every winter since I started. I would like to take a lay-off some day but for now the sound of money keeps me from taking the time off.

We have alot of guys in my area that take off every year from mid-November through early March every year.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Locating in the snow.

how do you continue to pay bills in that season......??????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Most guys bank some money in the summer months. You can collect unemployment for the winter. Unemployment isn't a ton of money but we only work 40's all winter long anyway so alot of guys save a little money in the summer and then collect the unemployment throughout the winter.

I can't imagine how much ice fishing I could do if I'd take Jan. and Feb. off.

Years of Experience

fishing sounds great but i can't see past my 40 hour check not coming in........hahahah.......i can save money very well for the winter if i had to...but even as much as i like fishing i think one week off and i'd be soooooooooooo ready to go back to work.......i know i'm a mess!!!!! hahahhah
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Plenty of work down here in southern Texas!!!
    If you are not a Liberal by age 20, then you do not have a heart! If you are not a Conservative by age 40, then you do not have a brain!!!

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    For those of us who work in the midwest there is a definate snowy winter season. Do most of you work the winter or take lay-off? I've worked every winter since I started. I would like to take a lay-off some day but for now the sound of money keeps me from taking the time off.

We have alot of guys in my area that take off every year from mid-November through early March every year.
    We work year round up here. Keep about 30 people on over the winter. This year I am hoping to take one or two months off or maybve just work 3 day weeks, I'm not sure yet. Want to take some courses, take a holiday and maybe put some money in a retirement savings acct (401K).

Though with all the new contracts and extra work we have we are still being asked to work Saturdays so am not really sure when or if the slowdown will occur. SOOOOOON... I freeking hope!!
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Years of Experience

Praying for snow and a deep, quick frost. I can't wait to spend my winter in the Rockies snowboarding.
    "It takes 46 muscles to frown but only 4 to flip someone the bird"

Hey.........pull my finger!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Praying for snow and a deep, quick frost. I can't wait to spend my winter in the Rockies snowboarding.
    Man, I cannot remember the last time I tied on the boards for some downhill! Crap, it gotta be 20 years!

I loved skiing in Banff Canada. After the hill, we would go up to the hot springs. It was great. Water temp was always hotter than hadies and outside temps minus 20. Now that was the life!!! Could only stay in there 20 minutes or so. But by then you had icicles in your hair and the rest of you was wrinkled like a prune.

Years of Experience

If my area really slows down in January & February, I may consider a little time off to a much warmer climate. Knowing I could make it happen, I would work with Goodyear Tire in Daytona, Florida for a month before THE race. Just like yahoo once wisely posted, "Be careful what you ask for!"

I can't wait for blue balls. I love working in snow up to my nuts. I'd go south if they'd let me.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Come south there is more work here than we can handle most days. Lots of repair work still going on from the last two hurricanes.

I hate working in the snow. So I already be campaigning to work in the south this winter. Hope it works.

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    I can't wait for blue balls. I love working in snow up to my nuts. I'd go south if they'd let me.

Last winter I was out in a huge open area locating a gas main. Walking along, then suddenly, I am up to the "boys" in snow. Fell in to a pothole that had drifted over with snow. Hit the boys on the way down so not only were they blue but bruised as well.

Some days, I freeking hate this job!!!!

I usually wait until later in the winter, after the Christmas season to take up to a month off. I have a wife that works and then when I am off I get to spend more time with my daughter after school and get projects around the house done. Yeah we bite the bullet and cut back on the extra activities and dinners out.

Years of Experience

Well maybe we should have worked Friday. We all took Friday off for the long weekend. Now we are supposed to get 4-8 inches of snow today. The work I have will take 3 times as long in the snow. I should have worked Friday and taken tomorrow off.

Did I mention I hate working in the snow. It's one big waste of time because we get a crew on site ticket anyway.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast