Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locating pipelines

Default Locating pipelines

My company recently installed a new 12" steel gas main. In various areas we installed zinc ribbon anodes approximately 5' off to the side of the pipeline. We don't have the ability to remove these anodes and I am having trouble locating the pipeline. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to locate the pipe, so far we have just tried grounding the pipeline and that didn't work. I use a Radio Detection 8000PDL to locate.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Locating pipelines

I'm not totally positive here, but the old tried and true should be effective here. Direct to the pipeline, ground away from the anode ribbon, use a low frequency, and if you can ground the pipeline further down the line in which you want to locate, it should work. Are those anode ribbons shallower than the pipe itself? I'm not sure how they create that much interference, i guess I need a little more information.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Not being able to locate a fairly new 12" gas main seems to be a bit of a problem.
    Is this distribution? High pressure? Transmission?

Sounds like you need a pipehorn..

You should have pretty decent records as to where it is since its recent construction right?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by bkingery View Post
    My company recently installed a new 12" steel gas main. In various areas we installed zinc ribbon anodes approximately 5' off to the side of the pipeline. We don't have the ability to remove these anodes and I am having trouble locating the pipeline. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to locate the pipe, so far we have just tried grounding the pipeline and that didn't work. I use a Radio Detection 8000PDL to locate.
    Since the culpret seems to be the anodes, and they cannot be disconneted. Short of opening the pipe and insering a line and sonde perhaps Ground Probing Radar.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by bkingery View Post
    My company recently installed a new 12" steel gas main. I am having trouble locating the pipeline. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to locate the pipe? I use a Radio Detection 8000PDL to locate.
    Hello bkingery - Welcome to the Cable Vine! I locate my steel gas mains by direct connection with my Radio Detection 8000PDL using f8 frequency first. I will use f33 frequency second if I feel I need more power. If my tone is mush with either frequency and I know where everything else is located, power mode and/or radio mode with my RD 8000PDL receiver becomes my friend finding those elusive steel gas mains.

The gas company service crews in my town have the Fisher Labs TW-6 Split-box Pipe and Cable Locator on their service vehicles and are perficient in using it by direct connection (page 12):

-------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

all anodes put down here on any gas line have a tracer wire attached to it and it is usually attached to the nearest power pole ...but even without that tracer wire ...assuming that the gas line is steel....you should be able to hook up to any metering point and locate....anodes will not affect the signal !!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Pipehorn. Problem solved.

If you're bleeding off onto the annodes, verify it with your RD. The pipehorn was made for this kind of work.

Years of Experience

If you have a 8000 you should have cts on the reciever a 12 in gas main should locate fine on cts

Years of Experience
    20+

Put the RD8000 back in the truck,and roll out the Ground Penetrating Radar.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

other then the anodes, does the pipe run with anything else?

Two more quick questions.... The testing stations for the anodes are 5 ft off? or is there a wire that runs 5' off of the pipeline?

The Split box is a great piece of equipment, and it will find the pipeline, but it gives a pretty big field for the signal. You can calibrate it down to tighter tolerances, but it will give you about a 5' swath. if its on stick. I would give it the good ole 810 treatment.

If there is a parallel wire to the pipe, and you can positively locate that wire, I'd induce off of that wire to pick up the pipeline. The pipehorn or the 810 would probably be your best bet as long as there is no other utility near the pipe. If there is... you can still do the induction, you will just have to cross reference the other utilities in the area with direct connecting.......... It sounds like a pain but we've all been there. Just be glad its a gas line and not a 68" water line that runs through one of our airports....... That thing SUCKS to locate..

mke

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    I'm not totally positive here, but the old tried and true should be effective here. Direct to the pipeline, ground away from the anode ribbon, use a low frequency, and if you can ground the pipeline further down the line in which you want to locate, it should work. Are those anode ribbons shallower than the pipe itself? I'm not sure how they create that much interference, i guess I need a little more information.
    Thanks for the help. Yes the ribbon is approximately 3' deep while the pipeline is approximately 5' deep. This is our first experience in using the ribbons and from what I have been told they are used to take away AC mitigation from the above power line and when I hook up direct, they are also taking away the current that my locator is putting on the pipe to be able to locate it.

No the pipe does not run with anything else. The wire runs parallel with the pipe approximately 5' off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    all anodes put down here on any gas line have a tracer wire attached to it and it is usually attached to the nearest power pole ...but even without that tracer wire ...assuming that the gas line is steel....you should be able to hook up to any metering point and locate....anodes will not affect the signal !!!
    From what I have been told, the ribbon is taking the current that my locator is putting onto the pipe away from the pipe. The ribbons were put into place to prevent AC mitigation from the above ground power lines.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately your RD won't induce like a pipehorn or an 810. I still think induction is the way to go in this situation. I only say that because I've been in similar situations and its pulled me through more times then not. If your as builts are reliable you can always mark the ribbon and do a 5' offset for the gas pipe.

mke

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Unfortunately your RD won't induce like a pipehorn or an 810. I still think induction is the way to go in this situation. I only say that because I've been in similar situations and its pulled me through more times then not. If your as builts are reliable you can always mark the ribbon and do a 5' offset for the gas pipe.

mke
    Mke! Empty your mailbox man! Got some news about work in Oregon I'm trying to msg you about!
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast