Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Locating Jobs-

Years of Experience
    na

Default Locating Jobs-

I believe a quality company would want to impress a prospective quality employee with greater detail of what they have to offer rather than only list expectations...

Any company IMHO not willing to lay out a little criteria in there adds is a first and last impression....

I m not fingering out anyone company...I have contacted a few in the past and I hate to hangup fairly abruptly when discovering they want something for nothing...Sometimes I want to start in with the are you kidding me but have to bite my tongue and decline...

Well just my 2 cents on employment interests...

Spooked by
    shallow adds...
    Last edited by USIC1; June 9th, 2008 at 07:38 PM.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Default Re: Locating Jobs-

Cheat:

It is frustrating for someone who is genuinely looking for work when more details are not given, because that forces you as a job seeker to phone and ask lots of questions only to find out its too much job, not enough job, crappy pay, etc.

Over the years though I have had to hire tons of people. From an employers perspective they must be careful not to give away too much info BECAUSE someone looking for work is NOT the only one reading the advertisement. Quite often, the competition spots the add and too much info can create demands on pay, benefits, etc. A company, especially one that has public shareholders has to try to get the most "WORKER" they can for the least expense they can. That is demanded by the shareholders.

That is one reason, another might be that the company wants to test the waters to see who will apply. Frequently, there is an unwritten scale of pay. The more experience you bring, the more they MAY be willing to pay you. So if they put too many details in the ad. it may limit who they can hire.

Too many details may also scare away a good employee who thinks they want too much work, or, some parts of what they want the prospect may not have done before. By not putting too much up front, it allows them to talk to the person, find out what they can do and cannot do and talk them in to the job. Some companies will hire the right person (good attitude) over a more experienced person because you can train them to do the job but you cannot "adjust" or "train their attitude".

Also, sometimes, I was just in a hurry and had 100 things on my plate, and getting this job ad off my desk did not take up a big part of my day.

So, as you may see, there are reasons from both perspectives.

I agree it is frustrating as I have been on both sides. As a person looking for work at times find myself saying "why the hell don't they give more details so I don't have to guess what they want". It is especially bothersome when they end the ad. saying "no phone calls please". URRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Years of Experience

and here we remain.............please come to work for us ....we will start you out at 10 bucks an hour and give you some benefits......by the way mcdonalds here in my state starts out fresh employees at 8 bucks an hour....and here we remain.....what can we say cheater clip.....

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    and here we remain.............please come to work for us ....we will start you out at 10 bucks an hour and give you some benefits......by the way mcdonalds here in my state starts out fresh employees at 8 bucks an hour....and here we remain.....what can we say cheater clip.....

A question I have always thought about asking. If the starting wage for a locator is about $10.00 give or take, based on your economy is that low, or, does it allow a basic living wage?

We start a nubee here at $14.50 an hour but our economy is really churning along at the moment so by economic standards $14.50 does not really allow one to feed a family.

An average 2 bedroom home to rent is around $1000.00. Groceries for two of us average around $700.00 month, utilities about $300.00 month. So a single person earning 14.50 hr here can't really even make ends meet. Two incomes are required without a doubt.

Years of Experience
    30+

Talking Re: Locating Jobs-

Here in Tampa, we would start a nooby without experience at 12.50 hr. Experienced between 14.50 and 16.50 an hr. The only way to make it here is to work all the ot that is given out.

Years of Experience
    na

Well thanks for all the rebuttals anyway...

I think it truly is a bitch of an environment to survive these days...

I look at those myramar people though and guess things could be worse...

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    Here in Tampa, we would start a nooby without experience at 12.50 hr. Experienced between 14.50 and 16.50 an hr. The only way to make it here is to work all the ot that is given out.

There was an article in the paper the other day about a recession and one of the factors was the loss of overtime by a large # of employees. All I can say is:They don't work for SM&P in the DFW area. Our District - 5 groups-is working mandatory overtime this coming Sat. 1st time anyone can remember the entire District being forced to work. Can you say "Ka-ching"-$$$
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

You've got to grab the ot while it's available. This job would not be worth the frustrations if it were 40 hours a week year round. The only thing that allows me to put up with it for as long as I have is knowing hours are generally unlimited in the warmer months and I can make excess money to support my family when things slow down for us.

Multi-billion dollar infrastructures being entrusted to $10/hr employees........scary.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    Multi-billion dollar infrastructures being entrusted to $10/hr employees........scary.
    This is one of my biggest arguments in favor of National Locator Certification. Utility locating is a PROFESSIONAL SERVICE that demands accuracy, somewhat akin to being a surveyor or engineer, especially considering the knowledge and understanding of complex systems installed where you cannot physically see them.

We call it trying to solve an engineering level problem with folks making busboy wages.

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by GWJ_CAS View Post
    This is one of my biggest arguments in favor of National Locator Certification. Utility locating is a PROFESSIONAL SERVICE that demands accuracy, somewhat akin to being a surveyor or engineer, especially considering the knowledge and understanding of complex systems installed where you cannot physically see them.

We call it trying to solve an engineering level problem with folks making
    busboy wages.

SSSSOOOOO...

How bout a UNION with OJT classroom/field for say 3 yrs just like other worthwhile trades???

OOPS!!!!

We call it trying to solve an engineering level problem with folks making busboy wages.

Wow, best quote I have seen in a while. Great job of culling all the crap and telling it like it is. ThanX!!

Well put Brother! Hopefully that day isn't too awfully much further around the corner....

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by 2RUDE View Post
    Well put Brother! Hopefully that day isn't too awfully much further around the corner....

Well then lets just stay naive and maybe 10$ hr will eventually be top pay in the next 10yrs for lack of locator leverage and the ability of companys to throw a newby out in the field after a few weeks training to get whacked up sent packing and keep the cycle going...

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    Well then lets just stay naive and maybe 10$ hr will eventually be top pay in the next 10yrs for lack of locator leverage and the ability of companys to throw a newby out in the field after a few weeks training to get whacked up sent packing and keep the cycle going...

Yup!, that's about how I see it.

Meanwhile management is saying "Why the hell can't we hire a good employee?"

What happens to nubee's sometimes scares the hell out of me.

With multiple contracts, I cannot imagine coming in as a off the street newbie and having to learn 3 - 4 different utilities and be expected to do them all well in a relatively short period of time! I'm glad when I started out I only had 2 to learn and then built up from there. But hey... as "they" all seem to think... anyone can do this job... yeah ... right!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast