Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Is locating a fairly dangerous job?

Years of Experience

Default Re: Is locating a fairly dangerous job?

For the dogs or homeowner?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by alsoran17 View Post
    I am not scared of dogs. I do not go into a yard with a loose dog in it. Watch your back, even when you think you are safe. The homeowner knew I was there, no doubt about it, but still locked the gate and let his dogs out.
    Once I needed to mark multiple backyards for a CATV mainline replacement. I asked grandma to put up her 2 bad dogs that were protecting her privacy fenced-in back yard so I could do my job.

Half way through my work, I heard the patio doors slide open and toe nails grabbing for traction on the deck. Up the apple tree I climbed. Grandma's daughter came home, witnessed her dogs going nutz wanting out and let them loose to the backyard. After apologizing to me, she pulled the dogs back into the house.

Not quite finished doing my work, I heard the patio doors open again, out came the 2 bad dogs and up the apple tree I went for the second time. This time, grand-daughter got home from school and did the same thing as her momma. I was never more happy to get that yard done and outta there.

The two renewals I completed at that address went without incident.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Famous last words,"he won't bite". Someone dog owners can be such dolts. Very few times I've had to deal with a "bad" dog. Depends on the owners and how they treat their dogs. Some people should not have dogs if they don't know how to train them properly.

If it was me. "could not gain access due to dogs" click.bye bye ticket

Years of Experience

There was another locator hit by a vehicle today. This happened not far from where I work. Everyone keep safe. This job seems to get more and more dangerous.

http://www.wisn.com/news/23510794/detail.html

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    There was another locator hit by a vehicle today. This happened not far from where I work. Everyone keep safe. This job seems to get more and more dangerous.

http://www.wisn.com/news/23510794/detail.html
    I have learned that the Tech is in serious condition, has swelling in the brain and a broken leg that needs surgury. Keep him in yor thoughts and prayers. He was apparantly doing all the right safety ideas.
    GOD BLESS THE USA & the Damage Prevention Techs that are the heartbeat of the Utility industry.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
    OPINIONS ARE LIKE A-HOLES EVERYONE HAS ONE.

Years of Experience

please keep us updated! God Bless his family!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Locateforlife View Post
    I have learned that the Tech is in serious condition, has swelling in the brain and a broken leg that needs surgury. Keep him in yor thoughts and prayers. He was apparantly doing all the right safety ideas.
    We all hope he gets through this okay. I always felt so vulnerable out there myself with nothing but that reflective safety vest. It is just something we have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    We all hope he gets through this okay. I always felt so vulnerable out there myself with nothing but that reflective safety vest. It is just something we have to do.
    My husband worked with the guy for quite a few years at two different locating companies. Super nice guy, hard worker. Please pray for him and his loved ones. ----side note: when are people gonna realize that cones, beacons, and flashers aren't just on for the amusement of the locator?----shut up, hang up, and pay attention people! These guys are husbands, fathers, sons, uncles, and friends.

He had surgery today (5/12) a second surgery tomorrow. Recovery coming along. Can't have visitors yet.
    GOD BLESS THE USA & the Damage Prevention Techs that are the heartbeat of the Utility industry.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
    OPINIONS ARE LIKE A-HOLES EVERYONE HAS ONE.

Dogs are nothing compared to 2000 lbs. of vehicle, maybe way more hitting you. I've been bitten a few times only once while locating, and they all hurt pretty bad. I could not imagine getting hit by oncoming traffic due to distracted drivers or any other reason. Yes, We do need to pray for our fellow locators not only that they are OK, but that they wont encounter the same situation tommorrow. I know We all have more reasons to live than not. I amazes Me seeing stupid people driving recklessly. Makes me think about how I'd feel if one of my kids were in the path of one of these idiots. It is a constant condition of the job. You have to make eye contact with every sound You hear(traffic, dog,action of gun,people,etc.) We should'nt have to have these concerns at our job, but We do. Be safe, I dont want to read about YOU tommorrow......

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by FiosKing View Post
    why in the world would you go in a backyard with a dog already in there? No damage would ever be your fault if you can't make the markout
    A cut without paint is always going to be my at-fault damage; no matter the extenuating circumstances. I enter backyards with dogs daily with my Dazer II while the homeowners are away. A locate request many times does not mean marking only a single lot.

Today I marked a yard with 2 charging Boxers and a yard next to it with a protective black short-hair mongrel off a single ticket for an AT&T 50 pair replacement job. This single ticket covered 8 fenced-in backyards (4 yards back-to-back); 2 yards had protective dogs. I ain't got the time to come back later and I ain't got the time to make calls to the contractor explaining why I'm too pussy to get into a backyard with puppies. I set my Dazer on STUN and throw paint................

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Meat likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    For me, it's the 4-legged critters that give me the shivers. There is nothing worse than being pinned down by a vicious dog.....

My first 2 years of locating was spent primarily in backyards; my average was a dog bite once every couple of months during this time. All my bites were received below my belt and I never had one break my skin. I've carried many a bruise on my ass, thighs and just above the ankles. I've had my package pinched twice while the dog owners watched! I've been cornered more times than I can count by some very scary animals.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well everybody - History was made today for me - I kinda, sorta received my very first bite by a Rottweiler.

I responded to a fence ticket in the low-rent district of my area. All the utilities were rear-easement aerial; except for a telephone drop leading down a pole feeding the next door neighbor. The pole was butted up to the neighbor's chain link fence that enclosed a vicious Rotty and his two dangerous buddies. All three dogs bit the end of my paint stick when I poked the stick through the chain link fence. These three untamed beasts made it clear I was not welcome anywhere near their domain.

I reached up to open the drop enclosure that was attached to the power pole when the Rotty jumped up high enough to grab my winter Carhartt jacket by the sleeve. All the animal got was a mouthful of duck material and no meat! I learned quickly why the homeowner was spending half the value of the homestead to build an $8,000 privacy fence surrounding the back yard!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    I learned quickly why the homeowner was spending half the value of the homestead to build an $8,000 privacy fence surrounding the back yard!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3 rounds of .40 S&W would be much cheaper...well...for now.
    Wingfoot likes this.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Wouldn't .45 ACP be a bit cheaper?

just sayin.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast