Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Is locating a fairly dangerous job?

Default Re: Is locating a fairly dangerous job?

I have A dazer also. I have found that it is only effective on about 50 % of the dogs I have tried it on. Dogs that are by nature, Pits, Mastiffs, and those 2" high mini pinchers seems to not effect them. I test it when ever I have a chance just to get a feel for which ones I can reley on it in a pinch.

Years of Experience
    enough

Quote Originally Posted by haze View Post
    You have to love those invisible dog fences.
    Funny you should say that i was on one the other day and the house was about a mile off the road. As i got to the house a St. Bernard greeted me. Was a good tempered dog petted him out of my truck since his head was even with my window. Get out do the locate and as im marking out i hear a "Thud" by my truck. I look over to see the giant dog getting into the back of my truck. I yelled at him a little and he came down, and over to see me again. pretty funny. But i have 4 dogs, ones a boxer-pit mix and 2 coon dogs, and American bulldog-bloodhound mix. So I really don't fear to many dogs. Chows I fear those are mean dogs.

Years of Experience

Talking Re: Is locating a fairly dangerous job?

Quote Originally Posted by JRLocator View Post
    I have A dazer also. I have found that it is only effective on about 50 % of the dogs I have tried it on. Dogs that are by nature, Pits, Mastiffs, and those 2" high mini pinschers seems to not effect them. I test it when ever I have a chance just to get a feel for which ones I can rely on it in a pinch.
    WoW JR! - I find that my Dazer will "shut the Hell up" any annoying barker, ward off any aggressive dog that charges the fence while I'm working next door (sends them packing to the porch) and makes cantankerous dogs act nice like puppies. I use mine to announce to a dog that's protective of his backyard of who is really the boss.

I find if any backyard animal is out of control when I walk up to the fence, especially if it's a Rotty, Pit or Mastiff, then it's a 50-50 deal if I really want to enter their domain using just a Dazer. CHOMP! CHOMP!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

there is still SOME hope left ....if you can keep the paint stick in your hand pointing it backwards while your running as fast as you can forwards!!!!!! hahhahahhhahahhahahhahahhha
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

I think the companies should just issue us cats to turn loose in yards with dogs!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

why in the world would you go in a backyard with a dog already in there? I also state i can not enter rear of property and then just go on my way... no damage would ever be your fault if you cant make the markout
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by FiosKing View Post
    why in the world would you go in a backyard with a dog already in there? I also state i can not enter rear of property and then just go on my way... no damage would ever be your fault if you cant make the markout
    I can make friends with most dogs and get into the back yard. But as long as the dog is in the yard I cannot make marks in that area as the dog will get it on their coat.

I always rattle the gate before going into a fenced backyard. That brings the dogs over to see who is there. The dangerous ones are the under the porch dogs. They hear the gate and know somebody is coming in and they just wait quietly for their new chew toy to walk in.

Years of Experience

i have figured out that most dogs are not all that ,until their owner comes outdoors and tries to show you what they want done in their yard!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

theres alot of dogs out there with a yellow face

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    there is still SOME hope left ....if you can keep the paint stick in your hand pointing it backwards while your running as fast as you can forwards!!!!!!
    Locators can not out-run a bad dog. Especially a Rotty, Mastiff or a Pit. Don't do it! By instinct, a bad dog will attack from rear. A rear attack a "safe kill" for the bad dog. The attacking dog is less likely to get tore up itself. No paint stick will stop the bite that's coming from a rear attack.

When a locator is face to face with a bad dog, the bad dog will take 10 seconds to size up the locator from the front before the killer lunge. The locator has 10 seconds to determine if it's a dog with balls.

If the lunging dog has a pair of balls, the locator needs to offer their weak arm. When the dog's teeth sink into the weak arm, the locator's dominant hand needs to reach back and pull the balls off the dog. This puts the bad male dog in immediate shock and gives the locator time to get away.

If the bad dog has no balls and lunges after the 10 second pause, the locator must use the dominant hand and shove it down the bad dogs throat during the killer lunge. Then the entire hand and arm must be forced down the bad dog's throat to choke the dog to death. This is a bad deal for the dog, the dog's owner and the locator. Nobody is walking away unscathed.

A bad Pitbull instinctively goes for the throat to squeeze the windpipe shut. A Rotty bite will break bones. A bad Mastiff will maul the face, arms, hands, legs or ass; no real preferences here. As long as the locator is resisting a bad dog while standing up, the attack will be continual.

The best advice is to be submissive to a bad dog. Rather than risk great bodily harm on an inevitable dog attack, drop to the ground in a fetal position using the hands to protect the ears. The bad dog will give a few quick bites but looses interest quickly to a submissive locator.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nb22x likes this.

Years of Experience

We've been told it costs less to kill a dog than to spray it. Vet bills mount and are rediculous.

Never been bit though, 2 years as a meter reader, 8 as a locator.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

http://www.pollardwater.com/pages_product/HALT.ASP

Go for Halt II. 1.5oz size will fit comfortable in your pocket, or in the palm of your hand. I have seen this stop a boxer cold in its tracks. Its designed specifically for pooches. You can also do waring shots, that will drift into a questionable doggie, and they will usually back away. The only thing I recomend is to take it out of your pocket when finished.....so as to not accidently set it off.

This and bee bopper were the two things I always had on me as a meeter reader.

mke

Years of Experience

I am not scared of dogs, I will say that up front. I have had my fair share of problems with dogs. Due to the fact that I am not scared of dogs, that probably contributed to the 3 bites I received a few years ago. Since then, I do not go into a yard with a loose dog in it. Not only for my safety, but I don't want to explain to my boss and the homeowner why the dog is now a day-glow orange.

A story that happened a few months back, while my sup was on vacation is this. I showed up to a locate, parked in front of the house, a little to the side due to a vehicle already being there, coned my truck and went to the door. This was a landscaping ticket that was front and back yards to be located, entire property. Anyway, I went to the door and the homeowner answered and explained a little about what was going on in front and then he said he would meet me in the back and I could get in on the side of the house and the dogs were put away. Did I mention it was an 8' privacy fence? I walked over to the gate and noticed that you could only unlock the gate from the outside, but proceeded in to meet the homeowner. He showed me he was just moving a tree from one spot in the backyard to another. I did explain to the homeowner that I did have to mark the entire yard and it wouldn't take but about 10 minutes. Did I mention, that the reason for the 8' fence was 2 great danes that did not like the idea I was in the backyard from the barking and carrying on they were doing from the enclosed back porch? Anyway, I went back to my truck and got my equipment, and proceeded back to do the locate. I hooked up to the gas, which was on the opposite side of the house from the gate, and started locating. The line ran me to the corner and I heard the back door open and both dogs being let loose. Now I am not happy, to say the least, but I am keeping both dogs at bay with the use of the corner of the fence and paint stick and receiver pointed at the dogs. After about 5 minutes, the homeowner comes out and said he didn't know I was still there. I was professional enough not to cuss and yell, but I did inform him I was not going to finish this locate. He put the dogs away and I tried to leave, but now I find the gate, which I had left open, is now locked and I am stuck in the back yard. After another few minutes he finally lets me out. I then informed the acting supervisor of the situation and the DM. The DM ended up sending 2 of our claims coordinators out to do the job. This story is to let everyone know to watch your back, even when you think you are safe. The homeowner knew I was there, no doubt about it, but still locked the gate and let his dogs out.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    http://www.pollardwater.com/pages_product/HALT.ASP

Go for Halt II. 1.5oz size will fit comfortable in your pocket, or in the palm of your hand. I have seen this stop a boxer cold in its tracks. Its designed specifically for pooches. You can also do waring shots, that will drift into a questionable doggie, and they will usually back away. The only thing I recomend is to take it out of your pocket when finished.....so as to not accidently set it off.

This and bee bopper were the two things I always had on me as a meeter reader.

mke

Years of Experience

2 words fo ryou. wasp spray.
    Quote Originally Posted by alsoran17 View Post
    I am not scared of dogs, I will say that up front. I have had my fair share of problems with dogs. Due to the fact that I am not scared of dogs, that probably contributed to the 3 bites I received a few years ago. Since then, I do not go into a yard with a loose dog in it. Not only for my safety, but I don't want to explain to my boss and the homeowner why the dog is now a day-glow orange.

A story that happened a few months back, while my sup was on vacation is this. I showed up to a locate, parked in front of the house, a little to the side due to a vehicle already being there, coned my truck and went to the door. This was a landscaping ticket that was front and back yards to be located, entire property. Anyway, I went to the door and the homeowner answered and explained a little about what was going on in front and then he said he would meet me in the back and I could get in on the side of the house and the dogs were put away. Did I mention it was an 8' privacy fence? I walked over to the gate and noticed that you could only unlock the gate from the outside, but proceeded in to meet the homeowner. He showed me he was just moving a tree from one spot in the backyard to another. I did explain to the homeowner that I did have to mark the entire yard and it wouldn't take but about 10 minutes. Did I mention, that the reason for the 8' fence was 2 great danes that did not like the idea I was in the backyard from the barking and carrying on they were doing from the enclosed back porch? Anyway, I went back to my truck and got my equipment, and proceeded back to do the locate. I hooked up to the gas, which was on the opposite side of the house from the gate, and started locating. The line ran me to the corner and I heard the back door open and both dogs being let loose. Now I am not happy, to say the least, but I am keeping both dogs at bay with the use of the corner of the fence and paint stick and receiver pointed at the dogs. After about 5 minutes, the homeowner comes out and said he didn't know I was still there. I was professional enough not to cuss and yell, but I did inform him I was not going to finish this locate. He put the dogs away and I tried to leave, but now I find the gate, which I had left open, is now locked and I am stuck in the back yard. After another few minutes he finally lets me out. I then informed the acting supervisor of the situation and the DM. The DM ended up sending 2 of our claims coordinators out to do the job. This story is to let everyone know to watch your back, even when you think you are safe. The homeowner knew I was there, no doubt about it, but still locked the gate and let his dogs out.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast