Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Is locating a fairly dangerous job?

Default Is locating a fairly dangerous job?

Discuss

Years of Experience

Default Re: Is locating a fairly dangerous job?

It is an extremely dangerous job. People are injured all the time from walking and working on all the uneven terrain and construction sites. People are killed every year by pedestrian vs. vehicle accidents. We spend our day walking in and out of traffic,getting in manholes in the middle of intersections, and walking down the edge of roads and highways.

Not to mention how much time is spent driving and with all the time driving accidents do happen.

Don't forget about all the strains and pulled backs and shoulders from trying to muscle the manhole and handhole lids.

This job has so many ways to get injured or killed it isn't even funny.
    flagsrme and second notice like this.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

If you use common sense you'll come home at the end of the day. But, forget to look both ways just once, and it might be the end of you.
    Goldenboy likes this.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

TMO
    Years of Experience

It can be , ... the key is being proactive to safety , not reactive to dangers of the job. i say it starts with driving , i probably do more driving than actual locating alot of days .

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

USIC had a locator killed yesterday in northern Indiana, he was hit by a car.

Years of Experience

We work in the oilpatch where we're exposed to sour gas (H2S) and are constantly in volitile conditions. My guys wear 4 gas (LEL, H2S, CO, O2) monitors to keep us safe. When we apply a current to a conductor, if the machine is not turned off, you'll make a spark. Do it in the dark and you'll see it fine. If there is enough gas, the right oxygen and we add a little spark....kablooee. I always know what the LEL (Lower Explosive Limit) of my atmosphere is before I light up a line.

Up here, wildlife is also an issue. More than a few run-ins with angry Moose and curious bears.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I have been struck by cars twice while working in the road. Fortunately not seriously or enough to lose time at work. Really bruised up my ribs one time.

Opening peds presents several hazards the most comon is bees and hornets nests. Always kick a ped before you open it. Peds are also a favorite place of black widow spiders, can't count how many of those I have seen.

Watch out for animal attacks from dogs to snakes and anything else out there.

Robbery is a problem becasue you can end up in really dangerous neighborhoods at any hour of the day or night.

Falling on construction sites from simply falling down to falling into an excavation. Sharp debris on construction sites from nails to glass to broken boards to jagged metal that will rip and tear at you.

A big hazard on construction sites is the heavy equipment and getting run over by them.

Years of Experience

yes there are some rogue bosses that make it rough!!! haahhahahhaahhahhahahh really though it is dangerous like any other job in America...it has to be done with safety in mind! i would think that the most dangerous in this field is getting hit by a truck or something!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    Turk - This is not good news. My thoughts and prayers go out to his greiving family. We all must remember "Safety First" on every locate job we tackle.

I agree with all my compadres input above. For me, it's the 4-legged critters that give me the shivers. There is nothing worse than being pinned down by a vicious dog.....

My first 2 years of locating was spent primarily in backyards; my average was a dog bite once every couple of months during this time. All my bites were received below my belt and I never had one break my skin. I've carried many a bruise on my ass, thighs and just above the ankles. I've had my package pinched twice while the dog owners watched! I've been cornered more times than I can count by some very scary animals.

The clicking of dog tags, an unexpected dog barking close by me, flapping doggie doors and toe nails scratching for traction on decks after hearing sliding glass doors open still makes me freeze in my tracks. I've had no training from my employer on how to effectively recognize and avoid the danger of dogs.

All my training on vicious dogs I had to learn on my own. Through my conversations with dog trainers I learned of the existence of electronic dog deterrents. I have not been touched by a bad dog since I've owned my DAZER II - ULTRASONIC DOG DETERRENT!

DAZER II - ULTRASONIC DOG DETERRENT

Watching the Dazer II work it's magic is really neat. This lifesaving device gives me no less than 20 feet of protection against all dogs. My only exceptions were a Chow (that I learned later was deaf) and a vicious Pitbull that was already "out of control" when I walked up to the fence.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Wingfoot; March 19th, 2010 at 09:54 PM.

Years of Experience
    25yrs

You have to love those invisible dog fences.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    Driver, 93, Told Cops She Didn't See Utility Worker

March 18, 2010
    BY ERIN GUERRA, POST-TRIBUNE CORRESPONDENT

VALPARAISO -- Police released more information Wednesday about the crash that seriously injured utility worker Bryan Marzullo on Tuesday.

A witness estimated the car was going between 20 to 30 mph when it struck Marzullo, 36, of rural Valparaiso, who was walking along the east edge of Calumet Avenue, marking the shoulder with spray paint.

It appeared Marzullo hit the passenger side's fender, went up onto the hood and into the windshield, and then flew off the vehicle, landing to the side of the road and on his stomach.

The driver of the gold 1999 Buick Century, Verna McCoy, 93, also of rural Valparaiso, told police she didn't see what she hit.

McCoy stopped because something struck and shattered her windshield about 3:05 p.m. after she went north through a green light at Calumet Avenue and Burlington Beach Road, on the north side of the city. After McCoy pulled to the side of the road, she was told she struck a man.

Marzullo was taken to Porter hospital in Valparaiso and later transferred to Parkview Hospital in South Bend, where he was listed in critical condition Wednesday afternoon. Police noted he had head and internal injuries.

Police reports did not indicate that there were any other utility workers in the area.

The Indiana State Police report stated officers were not immediately able to determine the exact location or primary cause of the crash. Police impounded McCoy's vehicle and cell phones and took a blood sample for drug and alcohol tests; results are not yet ready.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best is you tell the homeowner you are going in the backyard to mark out the utilities then they proceed to let out cujo and say he wont hurt anybody all the while cujo has you cornered in the fence
    Goldenboy and Nb22x like this.
    "BOHICA" Bend Over Here It Comes Agin

Quote Originally Posted by haze View Post
    You have to love those invisible dog fences.
    About 3 months ago I had a locate at a house with 2 Black Labs. The male lab was extremely aggressive towards me so I didn't do the locate. I called the homeowner and explained the situation and he informed me that his dogs would not cross the electric fence that contained his dogs in the back yard.
    The next day , I head back to this house and on the way I noticed movement behind neighboring houses. It seems that about 4-5 houses in a row had the buried electric fences and guess who was running through all of them to beat me back to his house? You got it - the same male lab I had been worried about. Granted, every time he crossed an electric fence it would shock him , he would yelp, actually stumbled a couple of times, but he still beat me to his house!
    I called the homeowner again and explained I would not do the ticket until his dogs were locked up. He at first said I was mistaken , or lying, and I told him to check with his neighbors. No matter, I wasn't coming back with the dogs loose.
    The maoral of this story is 'Don't trust invisible fences' they don't always work.
    Nb22x likes this.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I had a Yellow lab do the same for me. He had a bark collar, and a shock collar for the invisable fence, and he still didn't stop. He got within 15ft when he bark, got shocked, when he was shocked he opened wide and a gave him a full dose of pepper spray ( DOg-B-Gone). And the homeowner was still pissed that I sprayed his dog.

I always look at saftey as priority #1. I won't do anything that I don't feel comfortable doing. At the same time, you sups will tell you that safety is #1 but they will push you to push the limits. I believe that some locates take 2 locators, one to spray, one to watch the others back. That goes for Traffic as well as certian neighborhoods.

I showed up to do a sewer inspection once, and was met by a 18yr old boy with a 15'' kitchen knife who wouldn't respond to comands. Fortunately my contact shoed him away when I showed up, but when the city inspector showed up, the kid trapped him in his van. The Police showed up pretty quickly and wound up shootin him with a bean bag round.......... Always expect the unexpected.

mke

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    About 3 months ago I had a locate at a house with 2 Black Labs. The male lab was extremely aggressive towards me so I didn't do the locate. I called the homeowner and explained the situation and he informed me that his dogs would not cross the electric fence that contained his dogs in the back yard.
    The next day , I head back to this house and on the way I noticed movement behind neighboring houses. It seems that about 4-5 houses in a row had the buried electric fences and guess who was running through all of them to beat me back to his house? You got it - the same male lab I had been worried about. Granted, every time he crossed an electric fence it would shock him , he would yelp, actually stumbled a couple of times, but he still beat me to his house!
    I called the homeowner again and explained I would not do the ticket until his dogs were locked up. He at first said I was mistaken , or lying, and I told him to check with his neighbors. No matter, I wasn't coming back with the dogs loose.
    The maoral of this story is 'Don't trust invisible fences' they don't always work.
    Those invisible fences, if the dog wants something enough they will cross it.

I had one where the dog was no threat to me, we got along fine. But he wore two shock collars. Every time the she dog across the street went into heat he would cross that invisible fence. The two shock collars had no effect.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast