Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By headcipher

Thread: Locating in congested areas

Years of Experience

Default Locating in congested areas

Trying to locate a 9 duct structure, fiber line, 100 pair, 900 pair, 400 pair and 50 pair on top of all gas (services, headers and mains) near a hydro switch gear in a commercial area (Walmart plaza kinda deal) but everything I hook up to brings me to the underground hydro. The switch gear is conveniently placed in the middle of my locate area.

Any tips on this kind of locating? I am using a Vivax Metrotech vLocPro locate set. I have a clamp, clips and the ability to induce a signal onto a line.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Locating in congested areas

good luck ! that's the only advice I have.....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Hook up at outside sources feeding into the area. It takes more time, but gives you a far better chance of avoiding bleed off.
    daman1 likes this.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

The only way to attack a congested area is from the outside in..... and here is the best part.....

Wait for it....

With induction.

Do you have the ability to open structures? Knowing the exact locations where the cables are entering an underground vault is key. That way you are not bouncing signals off of vault structures, grounding, or slack loops in the vault.

Also know, if the utilities are shadowed by other utilities there is not much you are going to be able to do with that. but look for any seperation from the better conductor.

Step one... Connect to/ or induce on any known utility.
    Step two... Sweep and mark every signal known to man at a nice 50' radius of the target area.
    Step Three... Induce on those spot marks and follow them through the area or to a target structure
    Step four... Pull your hair out and curse a little bit (is cursing allowed in Canada?)
    Step five... When you still have trouble seperating the signals go to the next structure in line. If you see 9 conduits leave one vault, and 8 conduits in the next Vault. You know there is a conduit that seperates. Verify where this one is.

I can keep going on, but its the same process with the rest. You induce to at a nice high frequency to bleed off on everything and you get far enough away to work the signal through the locate area. If those signals stay tight and you are having "seperation anxiety" Visibly verify that the conduit count stays the same and track the conduits.

Can I recomend an old 810? you can do a bit more induction wise to find some of the missing pieces or to help with the seperations.

Also, I almost need more info. I genaricly put down steps, but each locate has different variables wich will effect the process.

When in doubt, paint in big letters "HAND DIG ONLY" and draw an arrow pointing to the work area.

mke

Years of Experience
    30+

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post

When in doubt, paint in big letters "HAND DIG ONLY" and draw an arrow pointing to the work area.

mke
    I will add one more thing.

"When in doubt mark it out" and like Mike said put "Caution Hand Dig Only" and then take a lot of photos and make that call to the contractor.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    I will add one more thing.

"When in doubt mark it out" and like Mike said put "Caution Hand Dig Only" and then take a lot of photos and make that call to the contractor.
    So.... To my defense, I was being lightly sarcastic. I haven't put "Caution Hand Dig Only" down on the pavement in......12 years. I felt guilty adding any additional tips because there was too many variables that were unknown. I think there is situations where you need to note on the pavement that it would be better hand digging then just going to town, but for the most parts, you can get pretty much everything if given enough time and equipment.

mke