Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By tbarksdale
  • 1 Post By Mke
  • 1 Post By ABLoc8r

Thread: Line Locate and GPR Rates

Years of Experience

Default Line Locate and GPR Rates

Good morning fellow locators!

I am new to this site, and fairly new to my position at my work. I have been the project manager for our laser scanning/3D services department for the past year (4 years experience in laser scanning), and with my previous experience managing locator crews, I am launching a Subsurface Utility Engineering/Management division. I have a GSSI SIR-4000 unit with a 400MHz antenna and a Vivax-Metrotech vLocPro2 locator with 10-watt transmitter. I work out of Central/Southern California, but am used to traveling for work.

My questions to you all are:
    1. What are your going rates for line locating?
    2. If you have GPR, how much to you charge?
    3. Is GPR a standard service you include on all locates?
    4. What form of post-processing and reporting do you do? Do you only leave marks in the field?
    5. I have some certifications and am working on more. What certs and/or training do you recommend?
    6. If there was one piece of advice you could give to a newbie or your former self, what would you say?

Thank you for your time! If anyone is interested in how I use laser scanning to compliment our locate reports, I would be happy to share!

God bless, have a Merry Christmas!
    daman1 likes this.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Line Locate and GPR Rates

welcome to the VINE . I hope you get the info you seek .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Hey Barksdale...

Lot of questions that will get you a lot of different answers.

Let me start.

1) Going rates for line locating will very depending on location and coverage area. Southern Cal should be pretty pricey. Typically it will be portal to portal (from office to site, and back to the office. When I was doing it a few years back in a different area we were doing it for $65 an hour. Where you are at, I'm guessing it is $120-150 range.

2) We had a GPR. There is two different types of usage... Utility Scan and Geophysical scan. The utility scan is typically cheaper and you don't have to prepare a report. Typically you just scan the area and mark what you see. This should be a higher cost then#1, but not by much. If you charge 120 for locates, I'd bump it to 150 for locates and a GPR scan.

if you have to do a Geophysical scan of the area including locates. There is usually a minimum site time. A lot of the guys around here will bill a minimum of 8hrs for site time and preparing the report. If the field time takes longer. if you are scanning for 8hours the total time will be bumped up to 12 hours to cover the preparation time. As for the cost of this scan... depends if you have two field guys or just one and how long the job is. for example if you get the call for a geophysical scan you would typically quote them... $1200 for the entire day if it requires more time to prepare the geophysical report we will charge 150 an hour after the 8hour minimum.

3) Some companies will provide GPR along with standard service, but around here it is available upon request. Along with Camera-ing or rodding of pipes.

4) This answer is solely based on what services you provide and are comfortable I performing. Most GPR requests, may not require any post processing of information or electronic reports. A lot of the ones we use around here solely leave marks and that is it.

5) I currently do not have any worth while certifications. Locating is one of those industries where time behind the wand counts more then classroom time. You can take some training for locating, but typically this is just a white washing of what we typically do. This is where this website and it's members come into play. You have issues, typically one of us has been there and sprayed enough paint to suggest things that may or may not of worked.

6) The advise I would have to give.... This may be confusing but hang with me...

Get a piece of equipment that can induce. Learn induction and how to use it properly. There is no standards in construction of utilities. Expect the unexpected. Learn your machine, trust your feelings, answer that nagging question in the back of your mind. And this last one I took from my wife... "Treat everyone like a retard" (she used better description). Treat everyone like they don't know what you are talking about and make sure you understand what they need. Sometimes what they ask for isn't what they need. However, you will be the one to get yelled at for not marking it properly.

mke
    Wingfoot likes this.

Years of Experience

Thanks Mke! I will keep these in mind. A lot of the thought process goes in line with my 3D data capture/laser scanning experience, niche industry and everyone not doing it has their own misconceptions they project on to you. I'll let you guys know how things are progressing. Right now I have a few promising bids out to some large West Coast/national utility companies. If I get them I'll definitely be hitting you guys up for tips and tricks. Thanks for the advice!

Years of Experience

Thanks for the welcome, yahoo!

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome aboard. Glad you showed up.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

In my area we charge anywhere from 75 to 150 per hour for locates with the low side being big contractors who we do lots of work for and the high side being pain in the ass homeowners and one time guys that we have to fight to get paid. We are just getting ready to enter the gpr field and haven't set prices for it yet. The main gpr will be for post tension work are our dirt is not very good.

Years of Experience

Greetings all, I am back here after a long hiatus away from this site. This past year has been crazy busy for us here in Calgary working 6 days a week trying to keep up to the demand for private locating services in all areas of Alberta and southeastern British Columbia. I don't know if my answer has any relevance on what you are looking for as we do private facilities and double checking the markings of the public locators from Alberta One Call. Our current rates are $140 per hour Canadian and some clients are charged $210 for the first hour on site because of specific insurance demands they have. We use Vivax vLoc Pro for precision locating, Vivax 560 for 4 way sweeps and hard to find stuff and a Mala EZ GPR with rough terrain cart with mid and shallow range antennaes.

If anyone has information on who to talk to in the San Diego area I am going down there for my first vacation in two years and I was hoping to pop around to some companies to see what they are doing and how they do it. Hope you all have a safe and prosperous new year with as much work as you can handle.
    TheCableVine likes this.