Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Limits of locating lines

Years of Experience

Default Re: Limits of locating lines

also,

I've come across various manufacturing plants, trailer parks, and even a correctional compound with private secondaries fully mapped out on my company prints, but they are always accompanied by a big "M" on the map at the transformer, or at a pole. this "M" represents a metering point, and everything field side of that is private. I've located for four separate electric companies, and all the prints were alike. Don't mark past the meter. It gets tricky, but it is usually pretty obvious where the private lines start. Even if you miss the meter, you'll see a lot of sealed empty meter boxes, or an inordinate amount of electric vaults and no meters at all.

In my first couple years, I located a lot of "weird" lines that had me scratching my head. I'd call up the vet, then my sup and everyone would shout "when in doubt paint it out" and that'd be the end of it. Looking back, most of these were private lines that I should not have been marking, and if any of us had known how to read the prints properly, I wouldn't have been marking them. Thank god I never got a damage on any of the big ones.

It really is your call, but chances are the actual entity having the work done knows those lines are there. Plant maintenance guys usually got their stuff together as far as understanding utility basics, and most projects have a lot of eyes on 'em.

Years of Experience

Boss in my state the first thing you hear when you call One Call is there my be private that are not marked you have to push 1 to acknowledge this. If you use the internet you check a box that you read the statement. We locate every large power company in the state and stop at the transformer on all of them. if the transformer is on a pole then dips to the building we don't mark anything. I always put in huge letters PRIVATE POWER with arrows and try to call to tell them it is private. The reason the power companies gave us is it's the owners responsibility to run from the building to the transformer and they have no records of how this was done.

Years of Experience

I have been involved in both contract locating, and private locating.

In the Empire state, the contract locators do not locate anything that is considered privately owned. This may include sone electric secondaries, any electric line that was not put in by the Utility company, water service from the shut-off valve to the building (unless specified on the map), or for that matter telephone and CATV services may or may not be located per contract with the utility.
    The caveat with Phone and CATV is if the service line is not on the print, then the company marking it cannot be held liable for any damage that occurs ( although the utility company usually will repair/replace this service free of charge to the customer).

On the private side of the house, this is the best scenario. I am able to charge a premium price to protect the property owner's access to the utility. The strangest thing is that these property owners are usually glad to see you, appreciative of the service provided and usually leave a tip.

So a quick re-cap. In NY: Contract locators limit liability by not locating private utilities (not good for property owners). Private locators get to charge a premium, and property owners are pleased ( good for property owners, better for private locator.)

So, for someone like me who is no longer employed by a contract locating company, but going it on my own, this is paradise.

For what its worth, the marking requirements have been different in every state that I have worked. So to answer your question: your marking requirements should be simple as long as they protect your company (municipality). If you have no liability issues, then it is probably better ( and in the best interest of public safety ) to mark out as much as you can. But this sounds to me like something the lawyers should be hashing out.
    Last edited by PokerAdam; January 9th, 2014 at 10:54 AM.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    Boss in my state the first thing you hear when you call One Call is there my be private that are not marked you have to push 1 to acknowledge this. If you use the internet you check a box that you read the statement. We locate every large power company in the state and stop at the transformer on all of them. if the transformer is on a pole then dips to the building we don't mark anything. I always put in huge letters PRIVATE POWER with arrows and try to call to tell them it is private. The reason the power companies gave us is it's the owners responsibility to run from the building to the transformer and they have no records of how this was done.
    So what state do you live in?

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

USIC only marks Comed to the meter on residential services, if the meter is on a pole a hundred feet from the actual house you are on your own for the rest, the same with private owned transformers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12