Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Lawsuit alleges bad markings caused blast at JJs

Years of Experience

Default Re: Lawsuit alleges bad markings caused blast at JJs

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Thanks for the info Wing. I know around here it is protocol to name everyone in a civil lawsuit first before the truth really comes out. Most big corporations will throw money at the situation just to get it out of the press.

With them potholing the line, they are kinda screwed either way.

I just had a similar situation on a job site a few months back. The bore crew potholed all my marks. Verified depth. They still wound up hitting a 14kv feeder to a kinder morgan facility. The first thing they did was accuse me of not marking the primary. I was on vacation at the time, and our risk team is headed by a project manager I've worked with for years. He told them he was there to make sure everyone was safe and to get the facility back up and running. They will worry about fault later. He then asked them to clean up the dird by the recieving pit and low and behold..... Red paint directly over the primary.

mke
    Glad to hear you were accurate, but it doesn't surprise me that the crew jumped your case. That's what they are all told to do. We all have stories about "great guys to work with", that threw our collective bodies under the first large moving vehicle that comes along. Another reason why we should have some sort of impartial agency show up to these sort of things, like that's ever going to happen.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Lawsuit alleges bad markings caused blast at JJs

I recall a 200 pr hit on a project that was, let's say subpar contracting being done for the city. I show up with my supervisor, and look at the splice pit that was dug. There wasn't a mark around due to the dirt and dust from the job. The contractor shows up saying how the locate tech was a moron, and couldn't mark anything to save his life. I calmly walk over to my truck, grab out a shovel, walk 6 ft away from the pit, scrape the dirt off the asphalt, and tell my supervisor to grab the gallon jug of water out of my truck.
    Pour some water where I had scraped, and there it was, the brightest orange mark you had ever seen. The contractor takes one look and says that I just painted it. I tell him that when I find the picture, I will gladly show it to him. And I did, and he ate every last one of his words. AT&T made him pothole every cable he was within 4 ft of, which was the entire length of the 1 mile job.
    yahoo likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12