Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Kansas City Explosion

Years of Experience

Default Kansas City Explosion

Just saw this pop up on my phone.

http://m.kansascity.com/kcstar/db_41...tguid=r4oTjXtW
    Last edited by Millertime; February 19th, 2013 at 08:43 PM.

Default Re: Kansas City Explosion

Who's going to be the first to make a Sweet Brown video link...

Awful situation. I pray everyone is found alive and accounted for. My wife's ex is down there right now helping (doing what he does for a living) he resides only a block and a half away. Hope him and all emergency personnel, city PL&G folks and hospital staff stay safe.
    Last edited by travelingphotographer; February 19th, 2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling...

I'd like to know the scoop on this one...

Years of Experience

JJ’s Restaurant is rated by the "Zagat Survey" as one of the top restaurants in the midwest. The gas explosion leveled the restaurant. JJ's is a popular spot in the Country Club Plaza; an upscale shopping district and residential neighborhood that is a regional gathering place.

Initially Kansas City police thought the explosion may have been caused by a car crash near the restaurant at 48th and Belleview. The report said the blast had been caused by a car crashing into a gas main [meter]. That report came from a cop pulling something out of his a** talking to a naive reporter.

Early indications are that a contractor doing underground work struck a natural gas line, but the investigation continues. The situation is dire enough that the Feds are on the scene as we speak (4:40 WTF?)! I pulled a gas card for JJ's Restaurant and the gas meter for the restaurant is located right where the burnt up backhoe is parked (3:43). My wild guess is the gas line was poked by the contractor at quitting time and went home assuming everything was okay. At 6 pm the restaurant was leveled.

The Kansas City gas lines are contracted out for One-Call locates, but the gas company locates their own plant in the oldest section of the city. JJ's Restaurant is located in this oldest section.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Wingfoot; February 20th, 2013 at 02:27 AM.

Years of Experience

I know that they don't know who is to blame for this but it still makes me wonder how any company can put liability behind quality. If you are pricing your tickets so low that you are constantly turning over employees and you can't get good people this is bound to happen. I know that people put all the pressure on gas utilities because the possibility of an explosion is great. However, there are dangers with all utilities. What about a phone line being knocked out and 911 being down? I think we will see more of this until companies figure out that they get what they pay for. I would never want the guilt of knowing my decision to save a few bucks ended up killing someone. Again, I am not saying that was the case here. We don't know yet. It for sure has been in other cases though. I think so many of the utility companies feel safe because the locating company takes on the liability. It won't be long though before they start being held accountable too because they are hiring a company with a high damage rate. If you train your people right and value them this stuff does not have to happen. That requires paying them more and listening to them.

Years of Experience

Digger I don't see where blaming contract locating for any high profile explosions latley comes from. The strip club in mass. was caused by the gas company, the house explosion in indy was arson/faulty furance,pipeline explosion in cali cause by poor maintance on the utility part and the gasoline pipeline in texas was the result of poor record keeping on the utility owners part. I can't think of 1 recent explosion caused by contract locating mismarks.

Years of Experience

I have to admit I am guilty of jumping to conclusions. Something blows up then it must be bad marks or a contractor who didn't call for locates. What else could it be? I think it is because we see it all the time. Gas damages happen frequently enough that it seems logical to assume a gas explosion would be from one of the two reasons I mentioned.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

A lot more detail about the digging in this article

Kansas City Star : Plaza blast raises questions about timing of evacuation

They were directional drilling a fiber for time Warner and they notified the state one call Tuesday at 8am

Mke
    Years of Experience

That was a good article. I know we probably will never find out how this happened. It does amaze me that the Fire Department left the gas guys to make the call. I only question this because of my experience on scenes where there is a gas leak. Most of the time I see the gas guys being over confident on how inconsequential the leak is. We had a fence contractor auger through the gas line 6 different times. The gas guys who showed up were the typical old schoolers who smoke cigarettes while inspecting the leaking gas lines. I'm not putting the fault on the Gas company. I truely think that what happened here was a situation where choices on any other situation would of ammounted to nothing combined to explode a building.

On one damage I was at the gas company didn't shut the valve on the line right away cause they didn't know where it was. They were waiting for their supervisor to come and show them where the valve was. My co-worker and I decided to dig up their valve and shut it down before their sup came. We were turning the valve as the field crew were yelling at us to stop. Fortunately we know the sup, and he yelled at his crew for not following our direction. Likewise with this incident, I'm surprised they didn't shut down the gas line. That to me is worrysome.

mke

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    Digger I don't see where blaming contract locating for any high profile explosions latley comes from. The strip club in mass. was caused by the gas company, the house explosion in indy was arson/faulty furance,pipeline explosion in cali cause by poor maintance on the utility part and the gasoline pipeline in texas was the result of poor record keeping on the utility owners part. I can't think of 1 recent explosion caused by contract locating mismarks.
    I was clear to point out that I was not placing blame on this. I know where I am at there are gas lines hit at least a few times a month that are from bad locates. I promise you with big companies swallowing up contracts for just a few dollars a locate these damages will grow. I absolutely was not placing blame on any of those.

Years of Experience

Sorry digger I didn't mean that you were placing blame. I know its not that way in my area. We are constantly trained and audited on gas and power both and any damage is reported to the state utility board. The fire dept should have evacuated that blg as soon as they pulled up. In my area the fire dept and utility train together 6 times a year and the locator's attend 2 of those. Every person knows exactly what to do and where to be at a hit gas line. Not taking this serious is why people are dead/injured.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    Sorry digger I didn't mean that you were placing blame. I know its not that way in my area. We are constantly trained and audited on gas and power both and any damage is reported to the state utility board. The fire dept should have evacuated that blg as soon as they pulled up. In my area the fire dept and utility train together 6 times a year and the locator's attend 2 of those. Every person knows exactly what to do and where to be at a hit gas line. Not taking this serious is why people are dead/injured.
    My guess is that you work for a company that does not locate for an incredibly low ticket price. Therefor they have the money to pay decent locators like you. Locators that are good at what they do know that lives are at stake when they locate. That is more valuable than most(thankfully) will ever know.

Too bad the contractor didn't call in a vac truck. Supposing this report is correct, of course.

The Missouri Public Service Commission, which oversees utilities, launched an investigation into the blast, dispatching five employees to the site.

Commission Chairman Kevin Gunn said preliminary information indicates that gas pipelines had been properly marked. It could take up to six months before a final report is issued.

Explosion In Kansas City: Blast Causes Massive Fire At JJ's Restaurant (VIDEO)

Years of Experience

This Article says that the gas line was marked.

Cable TV work caused K.C. gas leak; body found in rubble
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

at this point.......I would hate to be the contractor or their insurance agent ??? there has to be a better way to dig than blind boring !!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast