Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: jobs

Default jobs

i was just recently let go from usic because of a wreck i'm currently looking for a new job. i only have 2 at fault damages in 2 years and i am looking for somewhere that would hire me if anyone knows of anywhere please let me know.

Years of Experience

Default Re: jobs

Dont know if they are doing any work that way but check with One Vision. Owner is pretty good joe. There home office is around the Atlanta area somewhere.

ok thank you very much.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Since locatiang requires alot of driving, most places will pick apart your driving record with a fine tooth comb. Typically if there is any Pending insurance issues with accidents, they may hold off and hiring untill that issue is resolved.

Good luck.

mke

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries
    Mke and Wingfoot like this.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Details... I always miss the details.

Years of Experience
    none
    Blog Entries

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT WORK FOR SYNERGY ONE LOCATING. You will get screwed.
    Suggestion contractors are always looking for locators for bore heads. You drive your own car.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by backatusol View Post
    Suggestion contractors are always looking for locators for bore heads. You drive your own car.
    You are greatly mistaken if you think locating for boring is in any way like utility locating. The locator not only locates the path of the bore head, but plans out the route, has to know how to steer so he can tell the operator which way to go for how long, and everything is different based on ground conditions. There's a lot more to it than just following it with the locator. You need to be able to know what to do with it next.
    UULC and daman1 like this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

If you lost your job at USIC because of an at fault vehicle accident you need a place to be until your driving record clears up. SOL, like USIC, has a poor reputation in the locator community but it may serve you as a place to park yourself for a few years. Then you can apply to a better company and have a few more years locating on your resume.

Years of Experience
    17 years

I've ran a boring crew. JC is right. There's a lot more to it than hooking up and swinging a stick. It's the number one or two man on the crew does that because he has to know everything about the job. If you're not experienced in all aspects of boring, you won't be marking the path of the bore. It's just that simple.
    jayc and UULC like this.

Years of Experience

If anyone here is implying that locating utility lines is "just following it with a locator", or can be simplified to "hooking up and swinging a stick" , then they are wholly incorrect.

How do you think we locate clay sewer or PVC water/gas? You don't think a sonde locator would be able to follow a bore head? How about the sonde encased in it?

Is there some reason that you think a good locator wouldn't be able to plan out the route? Is this just a general bias seeping through? Do you write locators off as dumb, incapable, or incompetent? If so, then you're cutting yourself short, because there are an awful lot of locators with an awful lot of good information.

What we as locators do for a living is puzzle together exactly how things are put together. We have to know the where, why, when, how, who, and oopses involved with every yard, parking lot, airport, and industrial compound we spot.

On top of that, on the subject of interpreting locator feedback and actually following the sonde, I can say that a line spotter knows what he is doing far better than a bore head tracer. This comes down to shear numbers. Figure 7300 tickets a year for an average locator. This locator, for every year he's worked, has had thousands of tiny classes in how his equipment and EM fields in general respond based on environmental variables.

How many sites do you think the average bore crew deals with every year?

On top of the mechanics of it, we as locators often have to pour over historical construction data and analyze the way these utilities have changed over the years. This includes Installation methods, past and present for every utility at every ticket.

We also have to witch out the facts hidden in shoddy "Get 'er done, maps are for losers, eyeball that measure" sub-contractor paperwork.

What I'm saying is that we competent locators are putting ourselves into the install crew's head already. Every day and on every job.

You as a bore crew have to come in and internalize the layout of a site from point A to point B one time. This one-time-only process often includes likely conflicts with nearby utilities, but very rarely (on public property) goes deeper than what the one-call guys point out.

I don't think I've seen an install crew yet that worried about what may be or have been buried in the back yard if they're working in the front.

To go one step further, I'll say that a lot of bore crews I've met couldn't care less what was already buried. Caution to the wind, they've got to hit their deadline, or they don't get paid. This can even be true for Major go-to contractors doing major system builds.

It all comes down to familiarity with subsurface utilities as a whole, and Being a line locator is the perfect place to gain the experience one needs for subsurface construction.

All I'm saying is that I've been to some damages where the #1 guy was @ the helm, and planned the bore right through a pre-occupied local. I've also been on jobs where the contractor ruined 3 tubes a day shooting for grade 25' away. Don't rule a locator out because you don't understand their depth of knowledge.
    Last edited by Enjoythefall; June 29th, 2014 at 09:15 PM.
    Mr Blunderbuss likes this.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Enjoy....

I see why you took what I said the way you did. I'm not downing locators. It's been my life for too many years. I simply meant that a locator can't just jump into boring without knowing the ins and outs of that kind of work. There's a lot to learn. Dues to pay.
    I would suggest that a bore rod tracker can't just jump into locating and think that he can hit the ground running either. He'll have dues to pay too. He'll spend a lot of time learning the finer points before he's competent.
    I hate it when people think my job is so easy and they could do it without even trying hard. I'm sure JC feels the same way. I just have a perspective from both sides of the bore issue. It's insulting either way.
    Last edited by daman1; June 29th, 2014 at 10:12 PM.
    UULC likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    Enjoy....

I see why you took what I said the way you did. I'm not downing locators. It's been my life for too many years. I simply meant that a locator can't just jump into boring without knowing the ins and outs of that kind of work. There's dues to pay.
    I would suggest that a bore rod tracker can't just jump into locating and think that he can hit the ground running either. He'll have dues to pay too. He'll spend a lot of time learning the finer points before he's competent.
    I hate it when people think my job is so easy and they could do it. I'm sure JC feels the same way. It's insulting.
    This. So much.

Like daman said, the point I'm trying to make is just because you can locate utilities, doesn't mean you can locate a drill head. Or after you've located it, then what do you tell the operator to do. How much rod at what percent pitch, let alone if you have to make a turn? What do you do if there's interference like metal in the ground or rebar from the road and it's screwing up your locator? As a (directional bore) locator, you're telling the operator what to do and he's doing it - it's basically like a blind man behind the wheel and you've got to tell him what to do....(directional bore) locating is one of the hardest things to do.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I'm with enjoy.... but with a twist.

Weather you like it or not both of our industries will remain intertwined. Both on opposite ends, but in the same position. Uneducated labor. If you feel that your knowledge will keep you at the top in both proffessions you are sorely mistaken. One mistake in either position, you are "F"ed. Don't kid yourself.

We can get into a pissing contest to prove what position is in "Higher" reguard but we all know locators get pissed on the most.

When it comes down to it, it is the person behind the equipment that matters, not the position. I've seen shitty HDD operators just like i've seen shitty locators. I've also seen great HDD operators along with great locators. It was not the position that made them great or crappy, it was their charachter (sp?) that made them excell at their position.

Our skills... both positions, are non certified. There is no great ivy league school that teaches utility locating or Bore wrangling. However, if you are intellegent and observe you can become profficient at both.

mke
    Cheddar likes this.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jayc View Post
    This. So much.

Like daman said, the point I'm trying to make is just because you can locate utilities, doesn't mean you can locate a drill head. Or after you've located it, then what do you tell the operator to do. How much rod at what percent pitch, let alone if you have to make a turn? What do you do if there's interference like metal in the ground or rebar from the road and it's screwing up your locator? As a (directional bore) locator, you're telling the operator what to do and he's doing it - it's basically like a blind man behind the wheel and you've got to tell him what to do....(directional bore) locating is one of the hardest things to do.
    That is one of the most ridiculous statements I have EVER read here. Could I tell the Drill Operator what to do next without some education and experience? No, but is it one of the hardest things to do? Not even close JayC, you need to whoa that back a bit bud. I'm with EnjoyTheFall on this one. My S.U.E. PM's learn over the course of 5 to 10 years how to be the best at what they do. They have to know Historical Plans and records, construction plans, Locating and ALL of the theory behind it, how to dig test holes safely, efficiently and effectively, as well as survey processes and techniques to boot. As well as knowing how to operate and interpret no less than 8 different locating instruments and Ground Penetrating Radar.

My Crew Chiefs and Project Managers could locate your drill heads and steer your bore effectively after 24 beers.

Ok, maybe 18.
    Last edited by TheCableVine; July 1st, 2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: to fix quote
    Mke likes this.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast