Like Tree15Likes
  • 4 Post By Wingfoot
  • 4 Post By UULC
  • 4 Post By The Big-E
  • 3 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: the JJ's restaurant verdict is in.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default the JJ's restaurant verdict is in.

The JJ's restaurant trial verdict is in where an excavator hit a gas line which resulted in a couple of deaths and a restaurant being leveled.

USIC was found not responsible and Time Warner was found 98% responsible for the blast.

Here is the link if you wanna know more: Utility Locating and Damage Prevention - Jury: Time Warner Cable mostly to blame for JJ's restaurant explosion
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Default Re: the JJ's restaurant verdict is in.

That was the place in KC if I remember right. The bore crew hit a 2" steel gas main or it was the service and it traveled into the restaurant. They smelled gas and got the customers out but not all of the work staff. The gas found an open flames and blew up the restaurant.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    The JJ's restaurant trial verdict is in where an excavator hit a gas line which resulted in a [death] and a restaurant being leveled.

JJ's restaurant was determined to be 2 percent responsible in the case. USIC, the company that marked the underground gas lines, was not found to be liable, something that surprised JJ's attorney Steve Emerson.

"We hope that this will send a message to utilities that if you are going to install utilities underground, around electric lines and gas lines, that you are just going to have to be more careful," Emerson said. "Because if you don't, there are going be more accidents and more people are going to get hurt."
    Greetings Steve! I have a war story that kinda-sorta ties into this thread.

I have an ongoing project today with a contractor laying a 12" diameter water main close to an old Western Electric manufacturing complex to feed a new 500 acre business/retail development. There are three 161,000 volt electric duct runs in the scope of this development; one duct run is public (on my KCP&L prints) and two duct runs feed the old western Electric complex which are private (not on my KCP&L prints). The contractor is going to cross both private 161 duct runs at 5 feet deep. I told the project manger, if push came to shove, I would locate the duct runs in white paint just so no one gets hurt.

Sequence of events:

1.) I told the project manager of the pipe laying company about the two private 161 duct runs and suggested a competent private locator for the job.

2.) Project manager called the private locator and did not like the price quoted.

3.) Project manger called the owner of the two private duct runs and told the owner to get the duct runs marked.

4.) The owner called KCP&L advising them there is a KCP&L locator (me) who refuses to mark their electric lines.

5.) KCP&L fires a scathing email wanting answers from my USIC 2nd Line.

6.) 2nd Line fires a scathing email to my 1st Line to correct my behavior immediately.

7.) I was blind sided. My 1st Line did not mince words. Private or not, get it all marked.

8.) No private duct runs marked because the contractor leaves town for two weeks during the email volley.

9.) Contractor returns two weeks later and calls the owner of the private electric duct runs asking why no paint.

10.) Phone calls and emails fly a second time and Wingfoot's tit is in a wringer again.

11.) A grumpy 1st Line and I meet up and locate the private duct runs together.

12.) A meet is set so Wingfoot can redeem himself. A KCP&L rep, the contractor, my 1st Line and I are to meet at the private duct runs.

13.) The KCP&L is on the phone and the decision was immediately made that the duct runs were indeed private.

Before all this drama and BS, Wingfoot was the only person on the face of the earth that knew the existence of the two duct runs. I could have done the chicken shit deal by keeping my mouth shut and given plausible denial if something terrible happened. I did not want the drama of injuries or death under my watch. I couldn't live with myself knowing I could have prevented something bad but chose to keep quite.

I did not receive, nor expected to receive, an "Atta Boy," a "Thanks," or "Sorry for all the Bullshit" from anyone, but it would have been kinda nice to get one.................... just sayin.'

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    daman1, UULC, TheCableVine and 1 others like this.

Years of Experience
    30+

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post

I did not receive, nor expected to receive, an "Atta Boy," a "Thanks," or "Sorry for all the Bullshit" from anyone, but it would have been kinda nice to get one.................... just sayin.'

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wing, That is all we have and speaks to the type of person you are.

Years of Experience

Wingfoot... this is just another case where the contractor putting in the Water main has the responsibility to account for those private duct mains after he was made aware of them. Especially since he was going to be crossing them!!
    To scoff at the price the private locator quoted him just tells me he doesn't really care to do his due diligence, but he is the only one MAKING MONEY on this deal... EXCAVATORS NEED TO TAKE MORE RESPONSIBILITY!!!! can't stress this enough. Instead, he wants stir up trouble with a utility and it's contractor who has nothing to do with these private lines because he knows they will fold like a deck of cards... (Clear case of abusing the local 811 system)

You did the right thing though by letting the idiot know about the line's existence for safety sakes. Good job, sir...

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Had Wing marked the private duct runs his company would have been responsible for the accuracy of the marks. He did the right thing.

I have in the past dotted out such utility and told the excavator that this was from bleed over. That our utility was not there but something was and they should test pit.
    LocatingAngel, yahoo and Wingfoot like this.

Years of Experience

So I remember Wing saying awhile back that the gas company marked their own lines in this section of the city; does that still stand or was it USIC?

I saw this in one article, which makes absolutely no sense at all. How did 'mismarked' power lines make you hit a gas main..
    The company [USIC] is under fire by JJ’s for marking one electric line on the pavement instead of two. The contractor in charge of laying the lines for Time Warner, Heartland Midwest, has maintained they did everything right, but says the lines were mismarked causing them to hit a 2-inch gas main.
    Then there is this one.
    "Our theory of the case was that there were three utility lines that should have been marked and they only marked two, but the jury heard the evidence and disagreed with that," said Emerson. "So be it. We respect their verdict."
    Wing do you have any updated truth on this one?