Thread: J fletcher Creamer and the Verizon contract

Years of Experience

Default J fletcher Creamer and the Verizon contract

J Fletcher Creamer has the Verizon Contract in Nj and is sub contracted to Atlantic Infra Trac. They are trying to run the contract like a construction comapany and it is failing big time. They have not been current 1 day since having the contract, any time they get even close they change something up and fall farther behind. They have the worst equipment using Fujiti tablets and teldig. there are NO locator areas yes you heard that right no areas! they use this routing system that is sending people all over the state and expecting some un-realistic numbers production wise (40 per day). They have about 60 people right now with ALL 60 pissed off about what is going on, people are leaving (and threatening to leave) and the reputation in the state is very bad, they could not buy the top locators in the state at this point. damages are up and Verizon is VERY angry. J Fletcher Creamer really needs to listen to the people who know the locating buisness to get things going in the right direction, from what ive heard the management team feels the same way as the locators, Areas are very important and must be back in place to be the most productive
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

4Q2
    Years of Experience

Default Re: J fletcher Creamer and the Verizon contract

Sounds messed up, FK......no area's in NJ? Traffic jams alone will kill your production if you don't know the local roads.........never mind knowing where facilities are in an area. What happened to ECSM?

Years of Experience

verizon pulled the contract from ECSM to go one source with fletcher creamer, creamer does everything now for verizon

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Creamer does everything for Verizon in New Jersey? Or do they also have Verizon work outside of New Jersey?
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by FiosKing View Post
    verizon pulled the contract from ECSM to go one source with fletcher creamer, creamer does everything now for verizon
    Each Verizon area acts much like it's own little kingdom. Even so the various Verizon areas are adopting the idea of a single source provider. This one source provides all locating services as well as all or almost all construction / maintenance services. These service contracts are wrapped and often there is a lower rate for on of the services, construction or locating, given for signing up that firm as the single source provider.

That said it is a very poor idea for a construction company to subcontract out the locating service. The reason is that if the subcontractor does not perform well enough both contracts will be canceled.

It would seem that the subcontracted locate firm would make every effort to do the best job possible. Scrutiny of the business shows it ain't necessarily so.

The subcontracted locate firm knows that as long as the construction firm has the contract they will never get it for themselves. Worse yet if they do a great job that construction firm will expand into other geographical market areas and push them out of the business. Still worse they know that the construction company is likely to one day start up ti's own locate company and just drop them, leaving them with nothing.

So it is to the advantage of the locate subcontractor to do a poor job and force their client out of business. They can always blame the client saying they demanded too much control over how the locate work was done and this resulted in the poor performance. This may or may not lower their chances of getting other contracts but the contract they are currently working is certainly gone forever if they do a great job.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

J Fletcher Creamer has the Verizon Contract in Nj and is sub contracted to Atlantic Infra Trac. They are trying to run the contract like a construction comapany and it is failing big time. They have not been current 1 day since having the contract, any time they get even close they change something up and fall farther behind. They have the worst equipment using Fujiti tablets and teldig. there are NO locator areas yes you heard that right no areas! they use this routing system that is sending people all over the state and expecting some un-realistic numbers production wise (40 per day). They have about 60 people right now with ALL 60 pissed off about what is going on, people are leaving (and threatening to leave) and the reputation in the state is very bad, they could not buy the top locators in the state at this point. damages are up and Verizon is VERY angry. J Fletcher Creamer really needs to listen to the people who know the locating buisness to get things going in the right direction, from what ive heard the management team feels the same way as the locators, Areas are very important and must be back in place to be the most productive
    This is very much like the largest locate firms in the US, they hired management who did not have experience in the locate industry.

Most people have their idea of how our business works and most of them have the wrong ideas.

In construction they have crews of multiple workers. In this setup a new inexperienced worker works alongside experienced crew members who carry that person's weight until they learn the job. In addition should one crew member be absent the other crew members will carry that worker's weight. Among locators this 'crew' option does not really exist. Putting an inexperienced locator out there on their own after a couple of weeks training is the equivalent of put an inexperienced new hire in charge of a construction crew of equally inexperienced new hires. Construction companies just do not understand that each locator is a crew of one.

Another aspect of the industry they do not understand is that unlike a construction company locate services cannot schedule their work. Every job has a due date that must be met. In addition the option to not accept work does not exist, when work comes in from the one call center it must be done and meet the aforementioned due date. Because of this having an experienced, quality locator working in a work area they have learned is critical to obtaining maximum profits and maximum quality of work.

There are other differences but until the ones I outlined above are acknowledged and accepted nothing else can be done.

Years of Experience

the sub contracted company"Atlantic Infra trac" has the majority of the best locating managers in the state of NJ. the problem is J Fletcher refuses to let these guys run this like a locating company. it really is Fletcher creamer running the show. I AGREE 100% with you areas are vital to this industry and fletcher creamer will soon find this out, the managers are doing everything they can to get the areas back but j fletcher will not let it happen... they are on the verge of losing a good amount of the veteran locators as well. I will follow my manager into the gates of hell but theres only so much one person can take. its pretty sad when Utiliquest is a much better option then working at Atlantic Infra Trac/Jfletcher creamer

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    This is very much like the largest locate firms in the US, they hired management who did not have experience in the locate industry.

Most people have their idea of how our business works and most of them have the wrong ideas.

In construction they have crews of multiple workers. In this setup a new inexperienced worker works alongside experienced crew members who carry that person's weight until they learn the job. In addition should one crew member be absent the other crew members will carry that worker's weight. Among locators this 'crew' option does not really exist. Putting an inexperienced locator out there on their own after a couple of weeks training is the equivalent of put an inexperienced new hire in charge of a construction crew of equally inexperienced new hires. Construction companies just do not understand that each locator is a crew of one.

Another aspect of the industry they do not understand is that unlike a construction company locate services cannot schedule their work. Every job has a due date that must be met. In addition the option to not accept work does not exist, when work comes in from the one call center it must be done and meet the aforementioned due date. Because of this having an experienced, quality locator working in a work area they have learned is critical to obtaining maximum profits and maximum quality of work.

There are other differences but until the ones I outlined above are acknowledged and accepted nothing else can be done.

Years of Experience

brought in someone to manage the state. he saw what was going on and left 2 weeks later lol at least they are trying I guess

I went online today for news on Atlantic Infratrac and was pleasantly surprised to find this post which only scratches the surface of this clusterf#?@k ! The Verizon exec.responsible for letting this outfit get the Verizon contract should be checking the balance of his 401k! I was unlucky enough to be hired by these guys and trained for a month with about twenty other guys to locate for this startup. The training, led by Mickey Severs, was really good. I thought he did a great job with the tools he was able to get hold of and felt confident that most of us in class could do the job as it was presented to us. We were all issued nice new equiptment, nice cars, the fujitsu notebooks, new phones, etc. We were told in training that it would take a while for most of us to learn how to do the job properly, that we would start out slowly with mostly single address locates, and that experienced supervisors would always be available to advise, train or help whenever we felt unsure or needed help or training. They also repeatedly assured us that they were going to be different from "the other" locating companies by running an open and accessible company that would never take advantage of thier workers the way "other" locating companies do! And over and over told to check the prints. What a load of crap! I live near Sea Isle City NJ and was told my area would be the lower section of Cape May County. After a couple of days in that area they started to ship me up to Cherry Hill where they had a list of overdue tickets a mile long. After driving two hours to get there I find myself with a tablet full of high profile jobs, huge developements, shopping centers, both sides of a major highway etc. I finally had to call up and admit I didn't even know where to start! The response : brush offs , runarounds, and temper tantrums from the supervisors. And if you dont clear it you get it again the next day! It took me a couple of weeks to figure out that the "experienced " locators they had hired were doing all the easy jobs and that they were sticking the new guys with all the hard stuff. A real recipe for disaster, give the hardest locates to the most inexperienced locators! I worked for four weeks and never saw a print or was shown how to get them. I worked twenty days straight without a scheduled day off , ten hours a day on most weekdays. I had a supervisor call me after one ten hour day in Cherry Hill ands ask if I could work longer (at 6:30 pm, in the dark, and in pouring rain!). I learned quickly that a good locator does not neccesarily make a good supervisor. Calls at lunchtime saying "you need to get moving" (so much for the honeymoon period). And when I finally said something about all this I was fired the next day, although I had already been replaced a week earlier. Then thier payroll outfit tried to keep me from getting unemployment by telling the state rep that I was hired as a "temp" employee and had "abandoned " my job. That must have happened at the same time I "abandoned" my car , tools and laptop. Ah! my eight week career as a locator! In training we talked about the knockoff names locators give to the locating companies. My proposal: AtlanticOfftheTrac!

Years of Experience

well said but im sorry you must have been in a bad area because most of the rookies in other counties would not get those types of tickets and did not, that company has a revolving door and its sad. the only company in the country without areas L O L. I felt Bad for Ed Opio they brought him in to basically do nothing it was a joke, they gave him zero power when he was supposed to be running the state. after 2 weeks he left because of it cant run a state if the idiots (J Fletcher Creamer) who know nothing about locating wont let you run it your way. That company has at least 3 of the top supervisors in the area and they all pretty much have no power. they just keep puishing and pushing and pushing more tickets per day with guys still routed all over the state. as long as j fletcher creamer is running the show they have no chance of making it past the summer time

Years of Experience

Joe did you end up getting unemployment? if not make a copy of the online post they made that you responded to. forward it to the state. Also get a lawyer and sue the shit out of them, they cant say is was a temp job just because they dont want to pay you.

FiosKing: Yes I did get back on my old claim that I was on before joining AtlanticOfftheTrac (twenty years at last job), but thanks for the advice. That is what I could not understand? The guys running the company seemed really sharp during training but then the whole thing fell apart. And it has certainly been no bargain for Fletcher Creamer. Every ticket I did for them was a joke. They were already working or done working by the time you completed thier tickets, although it was easy to find your adresses. Just look for the flags, because everybody else was there days ago! Maybe they are looking for some damages so they can also get paid to repair them? Something fishy is going on here and it aint just the wires!

I agree to disagree...the company Atlantic has the power to become a great locating company but the people who are running it are running it to the ground. They got people who came out of Utiliquest, managing but with the same mentality of micro-managing eeeeeverything which takes away from the locators let alone the supervisors & that's where they are failing @.

There was hope when they bought in Eddie but even HE realized how kcuf up it is. I wouldn't put the blame so much on JF&C [eventhough they can be blame for other things] but more the people in management. They the ones who are made these drastic retarded moves w/the tablets & what not.

@ one point I even was considering of joining the company but unfortunately - I got a sense of the way the company operates cause news in this field travels much more quicker than the fios being installed on one's property.

well said but im sorry you must have been in a bad area because most of the rookies in other counties would not get those types of tickets and did not, that company has a revolving door and its sad. the only company in the country without areas L O L. I felt Bad for Ed Opio they brought him in to basically do nothing it was a joke, they gave him zero power when he was supposed to be running the state. after 2 weeks he left because of it cant run a state if the idiots (J Fletcher Creamer) who know nothing about locating wont let you run it your way. That company has at least 3 of the top supervisors in the area and they all pretty much have no power. they just keep puishing and pushing and pushing more tickets per day with guys still routed all over the state. as long as j fletcher creamer is running the show they have no chance of making it past the summer time