Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Its nice to think...

Years of Experience

Default Re: Its nice to think...

I wouldn't be able to lay claim to the $8k anyways, far from a first time buyer.

And you're correct, interest rates WILL spike again. Which is why anyone with any intelligence is buying NOW while rates are low, and prices have plummeted. The money pundits are saying "stay debt free" for the avg. consumer that has difficulty seeing beyond his next paycheck, with little to no knowledge on purchasing assets, how to go about it in a fiscally sound way, or what an asset even is. If the purchase MAKES more money than it costs to maintain, it isn't a liability, it's an income generator. Those that understand that basic principle are extending themselves into the land market now, not later when stabilization of the market occurs (which it will) when rates and prices will increase.

Your advice on CD's is a sound one, I must admit. I would also look into Roth IRAs. Out and out gold purchases are wise as well.

As far as buying my house when I default on it? Not likely. Pay attention. 35% below appraised value, an additional 10% down (that's 45% in equity from the start if your math is rusty), and the remaining balance on a 15 year CD SECURED note. Even in the very unlikely event of a total income loss event occuring, I would keep my home, with the loan payments being drawn from previously existing funds. The money is already there. Unsecured debt is the killer that has led many into financial oblivion. There IS a difference.

And I LIKE trimming my own hedges. It's better than watching some illegal alien do it, all the while knowing my rent is going to fund his continued existence here.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Hell no, banish it back to the Politics Section.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

hmmm...is a fiscal discussion technically politics? OK, I guess it's in the ballpark. My bad folks.

Take it to politics if you want to continue the debate USIC, otherwise Im done with this thread.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

I agree with your earlier post there, RD.

Im about 3 miles from a so-so groc/liquor store.. prices are what they are.. but its close (local village that we are just outside of), but 10 miles the other way is a cool groc store in a bigger village.. same thing there as you.. sale prices are actually better than the big box stores.. go figure eh. And the staff is the same.. clean polite and no nose rings.

Some big stores are ok in the nearby city (20 miles, 110k ppl).. but theres alot of dregs of society everywhere ya go.. guess they gotta be somewhere eh.. at least they arent here as my neighbours.

Some ppl do spend their life dreaming of a day when they can have that little home with the picket fence on some non-crowded street. You can rent them too.. and renting is probably best if someone has no DIY tendency at all. Hate to have to dish out cash for a pro to repair each and every little thing.. but a renter only has to call his landlord. (and maybe it gets fixed, maybe it doesnt...lol).
    (May you live in interesting times)

Years of Experience
    na

DIY???

You ball and chain H.O.'s certainly try hard to make a case...

The dirt cheap landlords I rent from, are large established companys that require legit background checks of tenants... They are not Harry's Hodgepodge, I bought a couple houses to rent to anybody and maybe I' ll replace the bucket with a real toilet...

And I ll be honest, I have owned a This Old house special, and a brand spankin new one... Both were addictions to throw to much cash at... Always something to go to Lowes or Home Depot for...I came to the belief that life isnt all about the next chore around the house, and trying to justify it being an enjoyment like the old man tried to instill... Its BS and living with blinders on or copying the Joneses...My inlaws from the past marriage always said I was an eccentric, and Im proud of that title...Not my bag these days to fit the societal mold...And the experience of Hownership maybe like those of you that raised kids or for me pets and the suck- it was alright to experience but dont necessarily care if I do it again... Sad thing is i cast women into the same arena now... HA!!! Five mintes of pleasure, a lifetime of kissin that ass...I must be getting old or something...

Anyway, I see a riatta, toy hauler, or some other form of recreational vehicle in my future... A little KOA... A little transient or rolling stone social interaction...You know the eccentric side...Wally parking lots here i come!!!

Okay, get the drift... Kind of like the classic kung fu dialogue...Just wander-thru... Try not to get overly involved in any area of life with the exception of playing music for its therapeutic value...

Last edited by USIC1; June 29th, 2009 at 06:46 PM.

KOA ?

I could see some ppl think that theyre livin the dream as a homeowner in some up-scale suburban development.. and yet they still gotta get the camper/rv out and haul ass to somewhere with some nature and peace/quiet. I come home every day to nature and peace and quiet (well, if you dont include the 2 little boys.. lol). Deer in my back yard, porcupines and skunks too mind you. When the geese migration is on, they regularly use our pond.. when they fly over the house you can hear the wind in their tip feathers whooshing.

Sure.. mowing the lawn is a biatch.. and I only have about an acre of lawn (the rest is forest and pond). Once its mowed, mind you.. its like a park. I guess a guy in town could always walk down to the local park for the same thing.. but no mowing.

Rent or own.. I dont care much. Just get outa the city.. it'll make yer brain lock up.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

K.O.A. = Kampgrounds Of America

Bunch of old re-tirees with grey chest hair and gold chains weilding metal detectors and stating how great retirement is sitting in plastic chairs drinking Pabst blue ribbon.

Sounds a lot like my neighbor hood but minus the mortgage.

mke

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    K.O.A. = Kampgrounds Of America

Bunch of old re-tirees with grey chest hair and gold chains weilding metal detectors and stating how great retirement is sitting in plastic chairs drinking Pabst blue ribbon.

Sounds a lot like my neighbor hood but minus the mortgage.

mke

And dont forget the " I remember when..." storys...

My kinda crowd...

Kinda like our forum...

And guess what??? No such thing as a bad neighbor...Like the neighbor I had at my first house, who had a starving dog... My X went over to give it some food and the guy hung up a sign of no trespassing with a handgun on it...

Most locators like locating because there never stuck at the same place everyday, same goes for where I live... Its in the blood now... I m long gone from my hometown, so dont rightly care where I end up...Just not the midwest...

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    the guy hung up a sign of no trespassing with a handgun on it...
    lol

I was doin a locate once for a h/o, he was putting in a fence because of his 'crazy old lady next door'. Shortly after he moved in, she put up a No Trespassing sign on her deck in the back yard, facing directly into his back yard.. I looked and yep, it was one of those ones that someone would post so it could be read from like 300ft away.. huge.. lmao.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123