• 1 Post By yahoo
  • 2 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 1 Post By yahoo

Thread: intentionally unrepaire gas leaks

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default intentionally unrepaire gas leaks

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ev...zfF?li=BBnb7Kz

A series of gas explosions in Lawrence Massachusetts and two nearby towns involving 60 to 80 homes and killed one.

This makes me think of WGL, Washington Gas Light, which operates in DC and surrounding Maryland and Virginia. When WGL gets a report of a leak, smell of gas, they do a preliminary check. They assign it a threat priority and each level of threat each with a deadline to fix the leak. Now we know that gas leaks do not heal and only grow larger. When a WGL leak is not repaired by it's deadline it is downgraded to a lower level leak and a new longer deadline assigned. Leaks like this often go a year before repair and sometimes even years.

Every few years a house with one of these intentionally un-repaired leaks blows up, sometimes with people killed. Then there is a rush to clear off some of the older leaks. Once public attention is off them they return to the doctrine of ignoring old leaks.

Starting in 1973 working at PEPCo one of my duties was tracking the repair of gas leaks allowing gas in power company manholes. We monitored these leaks for months on end waiting for repairs. The gas leak doctrine of not repairing small leaks has been going on for at least 45 years.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Default Re: intentionally unrepaire gas leaks

Ive been curious how old the lines in the area are. I know many areas where the lines are nearly a century old and are nearly unlocateable since I started locating. I been predicting more of these incidents as time goes by. Im reminded of the St Lewis sewer debacle. Let that happen to gas lines and its.gonna get ugly.

Years of Experience

in the end it is a money issue . hardly no company wants to spend money to update their systems but there are a few. accidents will happen still but there are a few companys that will spend the money to make things right and settle their issues with a failing system.
    daman1 likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    in the end it is a money issue . hardly no company wants to spend money to update their systems but there are a few. accidents will happen still but there are a few companys that will spend the money to make things right and settle their issues with a failing system.
    True, and like Massachusetts the WGL system is just as old. But in the WGL case it is not replacing the existing system but of repairing active gas leaks. I wonder what the Massachusetts report will find.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    True, and like Massachusetts the WGL system is just as old. But in the WGL case it is not replacing the existing system but of repairing active gas leaks. I wonder what the Massachusetts report will find.
    I have a feeling , even if we pried a little , or a lot , we will NEVER know . like all stories on any subject in the world people will let it go so long that even in a year or so NO one except those families affected will even remember that this ever happened.. it is sad sad that simple problems will not be fixed because of money.....until it truly affects someone else's life.
    daman1 likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    I have a feeling , even if we pried a little , or a lot , we will NEVER know . like all stories on any subject in the world people will let it go so long that even in a year or so NO one except those families affected will even remember that this ever happened.. it is sad sad that simple problems will not be fixed because of money.....until it truly affects someone else's life.
    I think more accurately is until it affects adversely those who regulate the gas companies. I know in the WGL case it has gone on for decades and the regulatory agencies have done nothing. The state prospectors have never filled charges of homicide. These companies throw around a lot of money and until documented and exposed this will continue.

Money is the root cause of the public danger and the root cause of those in charge of public safety turning a blind eye.
    daman1 and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

I remember years ago there was that HP main that was over pressured and blow out and started a bunch of houses on fire. Was the the philly explosions? Sounds like the one in MA was more of over pressure. I guy stated he went into his basement and it was glowing. i think he had a boiler system. I think it is Columbia gas out there and they stated that the old lines were scheduled to replaced.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    I remember years ago there was that HP main that was over pressured and blow out and started a bunch of houses on fire. Was the the philly explosions? Sounds like the one in MA was more of over pressure. I guy stated he went into his basement and it was glowing. i think he had a boiler system. I think it is Columbia gas out there and they stated that the old lines were scheduled to replaced.
    either way , it is a very scary situation to deal with .
    daman1 likes this.