Thread: And I'm out!

Years of Experience

Default And I'm out!

Got cut from utiliquest on thursday before christmas. Can't say that I'm at all sorry for it, though, as that branch/company has really gone bonkers in the last few years. I can honestly say that I loved locating, in general, as it's a very interesting profession that brings something new every day. It's that daily challenge that makes it so fun!

Unfortunately, the micro-managing, cronyism, etc, really killed the positive vibe. Still, I might be down, but I'm not out. Been thinking of trying for a locating job in North Dakota if I can find one (any leads appreciated), and I'm pretty sure I have a job with USIC when they take over the Duke Energy contract for SC.

Love how my DM said that losing the Duke contract had nothing to due with my termination, never mind that my territory was over 90% Duke-only locates. Yea, no coincidence!

Don't worry, though, I'm still going to be reading through the cable vine.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: And I'm out!

If you thought Utiliquest was bad USIC will make you miss the good old days.

If your company closed it's office rather than laid off most of the people unemployment compensation can also include training for a new job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrum View Post
    Got cut from utiliquest on thursday before christmas. Can't say that I'm at all sorry for it, though, as that branch/company has really gone bonkers in the last few years. I can honestly say that I loved locating, in general, as it's a very interesting profession that brings something new every day. It's that daily challenge that makes it so fun!

Unfortunately, the micro-managing, cronyism, etc, really killed the positive vibe. Still, I might be down, but I'm not out. Been thinking of trying for a locating job in North Dakota if I can find one (any leads appreciated), and I'm pretty sure I have a job with USIC when they take over the Duke Energy contract for SC.

Love how my DM said that losing the Duke contract had nothing to due with my termination, never mind that my territory was over 90% Duke-only locates. Yea, no coincidence!

Don't worry, though, I'm still going to be reading through the cable vine.

Try Williston, North Dakota. I have heard through grapevine that ELM is looking for a locator and will be providing a place to stay as well. 20.00 per hour for experience.

Years of Experience

Stake Center will be looking for locators in NE Oregon and SE Washington as well.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience
    30+

Hey RD, sent you a PM. Just curious what broke the camels back?

Years of Experience

Clear some of your inbox and I'll be glad to reply.

It keeps bouncing back because your private msg's are exceeded.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

DO not work for USIC. It will be the worst move you've ever made. You will be treated like an ignorant child, no respect, forced to do unethical things. Save yourself the misery.

Years of Experience

Thanks, Gents. Everything I've heard about USIC, here and from the guys in the field, is negative and I dread working for them. Unfortunately, I'm in a bit of a pickle and will have to take the first paycheck offered. Gimme a few months to get back on my feet, though, and I'll be able to move on. How's ELM to work for? Worth moving to the oil fields of the frozen north?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrum View Post
    Thanks, Gents. Everything I've heard about USIC, here and from the guys in the field, is negative and I dread working for them. Unfortunately, I'm in a bit of a pickle and will have to take the first paycheck offered. Gimme a few months to get back on my feet, though, and I'll be able to move on. How's ELM to work for? Worth moving to the oil fields of the frozen north?
    Actually how bad USIC is depends on where you are, and what crew you are on, from what I can tell. I worked for SM&P/USIC for years and left on good terms with few issues. But then I worked on very good, dedicated crews that had Sups that came from the field and fought like hell to take care of their guys.

That may not be the case any longer.

Per Scientiam Vires!

USIC is probably no better or no worse than Heath, Utiliquest, or any of the larger companies, if compared to each other presently. The Industry has changed and is no longer as Employee Friendly as back in the Good Old Days. Like RD said, it mostly depends who the Supervisor is that you work for at the time.

The only way this will change is when/if the Economy returns and a large % of Locators leave and pursue different careers.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.