Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm done.

Years of Experience

Default I'm done.

Hey all.

I know my posts have been sporadic at best over the last year+, but I hope that will change from here on out. Since my employers knew who I was on here, I didn't feel comfortable voicing my opinions. Especially since most of what I would have had to say was in the negative range.

I'm finally DONE with the contract locating world. It doesn't matter what company you work for, what was once a worthwhile trade, worthy of respect and dedication, has become a field in which companies spurn talent in favor of cheap labor (usually with no brains), with no consideration for quality or integrity. Unskilled "technicians", with limited training, little support, and always a lack of proper equipment/materials/manpower, trying to manage areas far too large or with far too high a ticket count has become the norm. Investor owned firms that care only about the yearly bottom line being as high as possible, no matter what unscrupulous methods are used to achieve that profit. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for making money, but not at the price of one's ethics, nor for falling short on the obligations you contract out to perform. I can no longer complacently accept the practice of setting up your employees to fail, and then throwing them under the bus to save your own neck. This hasn't happened to me personally (though I have little doubt that with an increased area of unmanageable size and lack of prints/support, it would only be a matter of time), but I've seen it enough to be tired of it. I refuse to condone the practice by continuing to generate an income for you. If you're reading this at the top...with a few exceptions...you all disgust me. In the end, your integrity (or lack of it) is the ONLY thing you will take with you. Try to remember that. (Particularly those of you who STARTED this industry in the first place).

I've had enough. I'm joining the ranks of the "enemy" and going in-house with a local FiOs company as a Route Technician. I'll still be locating, but will also be learning aspects of the fiber industry, including splicing, terminating, installations, etc. I will be judged by my performance and how well I protect the infrastructure of our facilities, not by production numbers or profit margins. By how much money I SAVE the company, as opposed to how much I generate by gambling on cleared tickets. I will earn my pay by doing my job and utilizing my skills.

As it should be.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I'm done.

Congrats on the job RD. I assume its going to be east of the mountians still?

Part of me was hoping for the chance of luring you farther west when my co-worker finally bursts into flames.

Either way, getting out of contract locating is a God-send. I know there will be a point in time where this will start to affect the contract companies and they will stop trying to kill competitors and actually go back to caring about the infrastructure they are bidding to protect. Unfortunately, I think most of us has missed that chance. When bidding contracts at 5-7 bucks a locate, no one wins.

Good Luck

Mke

Years of Experience

Thanks Mke.

Afraid I'd have to pass on the offer either way. I despise the Portland area. Nice place to visit, but needs a mass extermination of the hippie element before I would ever reside there.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU RD,HAPPY SWAGGIN ,HEY MIKEY ,I THOUGHT THAT JOB WAS MINE ??? lol

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Hey RD,

Congrats on the new job. I think you echo the feelings of many locators in the contract locating business. I look forward to hearing about your new job and how it is working out for you.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Way to tell it like it is RD. Good luck on your new venture.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

RD,
    Congrats! Is that a union job?

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

RD_Wrangler, that was a really really good post. I read it a few times, even, just to savor how true it was. I hope that you will still come back and post on this forum from time to time in the future, and I hope that you will keep us updated on how well you are doing in your new job.
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng

mind sharing where you previously worked? company/state?

Years of Experience

For real RD, one of the best posts I have ever read here. Good luck to you in your new adventure, and don't look back friend. Anyone who can hang in the contract world for any length of time is a badass, and to do it the right and honorable way....well that goes double. Go get 'em!

Years of Experience
    17 years

Hey RD, been thinking of your post ever since I read it. I'm happy for you, ya fugger You still get the call outs? Summer/winter feast/famine? I'm hoping to write a similar post some day. How ya liking the new job?

I left the business in 2009 and went back to school. This was the best move of my life. I flirted with the idea of returning after I graduated and man I am glad I didn't return.

Working in another field you realize just how much the locating business is a scam. Employees are treated as NUMBERS and that's it.

The real world is better. A lot of hard working people are in locating. Get out as soon as can!

I've never been disrespected and treated like a child more than I have been then past year and a half with this company. I don't quite understand their philosphy of acting this way. The locating industry is an important one, yet this company treats it as a money grab . and a money grab only!

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by locator00566 View Post
    I've never been disrespected and treated like a child more than I have been then past year and a half with this company. I don't quite understand their philosphy of acting this way. The locating industry is an important one, yet this company treats it as a money grab . and a money grab only!
    And yet, instead of doing something about it, (like changing jobs) you type out 250 or so posts whining about how bad it is. If working for USIC is so intolerable, go find a new job like RDW did.
    Last edited by ifinditunderground; February 1st, 2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: You know who for President in 2013.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    And yet, instead of doing something about it, (like changing jobs) you type out 250 or so posts whining about how bad it is. If working for USIC is so intolerable, go find a new job like RDW did.

I see you never took that walk I told you about. Like I've told you before, "icantfinditunderground" if you don't like my posts, don't read them. And I haven't worked for USIC for a long time. I just like warning others of the way they operate so quit your whining about my posts.
    Last edited by locator00566; February 1st, 2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast