Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: If you could change one thing...

Years of Experience

Default If you could change one thing...

There are a lot of passionate, quality-driven locators subscribed to this site. And I know that the vast majority of you like your job but dis-like the surrounding circumstances (ie. vendictive mgmt, poor equipment, low pay, etc).

So, my question is:

If you had the authority to change just one thing about your work environment, what would it be and why?

Note to self: I'm sure this elicit some "interesting" responses.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: If you could change one thing...

I would hire many "10 or 11" swimsuit and lingerie models to work for me.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    I would hire many "10 or 11" swimsuit and lingerie models to work for me.
    I dont suppose you're gonna give them spray sticks are ya..
    (May you live in interesting times)

eliminate the word " entire " from all locate requests

Years of Experience

take big brother out of the trucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    take big brother out of the trucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree if you take the words "of the trucks" in yahoo's response.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Brand new (or at least good) equipment. Let the locator pick what he uses (one size does not fit all), and replace with updated units every few years.
    Work trucks should all be Hummers and I am in full support of Ifindit's plan as well.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

It would probably be tough to get good quality work on time.......but the contractors would be my best friend.
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Ok Ok...I'm with you on the Playmates for new hires.

So...I heard Yahoo suggest "take big brother out of the trucks". If you do that, how do you ensure everyone is putting in an honest day's work? When I was in the industry, we didn't have gps; a fact that was frequently abused. Of course, that was when locators could work their tales off in the morning, and then goof off the rest of the day. The ticket management systems help monitor that, but it can still be manipulated.

HighVoltage mentioned altering the language on locate requests. Sorry...that's not going to be something you can prevent. It will only improve with contractor education. Is there anyone in your local office that goes out and presents to the contractor/municipality groups???

I think GPGrasshopper may be on to something. Although, continual replacement of equipment may be out of the question....at least, frequent calibration and parts replacement should suffice. As for the techs choosing the type of equipment they use...Great Idea!!!

I started this thread because, as a manager, I always thought the field techs should have a voice. On a monthly basis, I would pull several techs from the field to particapate in a 2-3 hour roundtable discussion. The participants changed each time, and I always provided lunch. During these discussion, we would mull over topics just like this. Hopefully the right people are reading this thread and they can take something useful away from your suggestions!

Ok so yes I am girl, and yes I'm commenting on this post. I am a Locators Wife. Mu hubby has worked for SMP/USIC for 10 years and we have seen and heard alot of things.

Top 5 things that could change about a locator's job:

#5 Bigger trucks, have you ever driven past a locator and his nose is stuck to the windshield? Come on guys, not everyone is a size small.

#4 Better support from management when dealing with jack ass contractors. You want your guys to feel appreciated, stick up for them.

#3 Bring back the bonus program! People work harder and quality is better when there is a reward other than the normal paycheck.

#2 You have to work the weekend but you can't have OT? Ok, this one is common sense. I know that there are budget cuts, but geez...............

#1 Realize that less is not more. Stop taking guys out of the field when there is still a ton of tickets in the area. Worse, don't tell a locator that they have to have 20 tickets done in 8 hours. Fine, it works if you have 2 way locates for 100 feet on the same block! What about those 4 way locates that go for 2000 feet and you have 6 crews that each have a ticket???? Quality goes right out the window when you expect one guy to cover 2 areas and the above is his expectation. You wonder why there are damages. Oh yes, I know you will say, well he/she should ask for help, ummmmm yea, have you ever tried to get any help on a locate? Locator #1 to Locator #2 "Yea, do you think you have time to come down here and help me with this ticket?" Locatore #2 "I have 7 crews I still need to get to today and I have 10 tickets due in the am, so no I don't have time."
    Enough said.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LocatorsWife View Post
    Ok so yes I am girl, and yes I'm commenting on this post. I am a Locators Wife. Mu hubby has worked for SMP/USIC for 10 years and we have seen and heard alot of things.

Top 5 things that could change about a locator's job:

#5 Bigger trucks, have you ever driven past a locator and his nose is stuck to the windshield? Come on guys, not everyone is a size small.

#4 Better support from management when dealing with jack ass contractors. You want your guys to feel appreciated, stick up for them.

#3 Bring back the bonus program! People work harder and quality is better when there is a reward other than the normal paycheck.

#2 You have to work the weekend but you can't have OT? Ok, this one is common sense. I know that there are budget cuts, but geez...............

#1 Realize that less is not more. Stop taking guys out of the field when there is still a ton of tickets in the area. Worse, don't tell a locator that they have to have 20 tickets done in 8 hours. Fine, it works if you have 2 way locates for 100 feet on the same block! What about those 4 way locates that go for 2000 feet and you have 6 crews that each have a ticket???? Quality goes right out the window when you expect one guy to cover 2 areas and the above is his expectation. You wonder why there are damages. Oh yes, I know you will say, well he/she should ask for help, ummmmm yea, have you ever tried to get any help on a locate? Locator #1 to Locator #2 "Yea, do you think you have time to come down here and help me with this ticket?" Locatore #2 "I have 7 crews I still need to get to today and I have 10 tickets due in the am, so no I don't have time."
    Enough said.
    All very legitimate concerns and complaints, now back to the good looking girls in hardhats.

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

Not to be a smart ass, but the one thing I would change....

Not getting in the contract locating business to start with. I should've picked another field to go into....
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

Years of Experience

I must agree on the bigger truck issue. It is amazing what they expect us to fit into these small trucks. I'm guessing with all the paint,flags, and equiptment we carry that we are probably overloading the small trucks.

I would also have to say respect from contractors. It is amazing how many contractors think the reciever is a magical wand. I don't know how many times I've heard "Well can't you just swing that thing over here and tell me where that private line is". The answer is no. I'd have to go and hook up to it and I'm not responsible for it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    All very legitimate concerns and complaints, now back to the good looking girls in hardhats.
    IFINDIT.....i have one word for you...................NICE!!!! i want to come work for you....hahhahahahahahhhah
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by MOJO View Post
    Ok Ok...I'm with you on the Playmates for new hires.

So...I heard Yahoo suggest "take big brother out of the trucks". If you do that, how do you ensure everyone is putting in an honest day's work? When I was in the industry, we didn't have gps; a fact that was frequently abused. Of course, that was when locators could work their tales off in the morning, and then goof off the rest of the day. The ticket management systems help monitor that, but it can still be manipulated.

HighVoltage mentioned altering the language on locate requests. Sorry...that's not going to be something you can prevent. It will only improve with contractor education. Is there anyone in your local office that goes out and presents to the contractor/municipality groups???

I think GPGrasshopper may be on to something. Although, continual replacement of equipment may be out of the question....at least, frequent calibration and parts replacement should suffice. As for the techs choosing the type of equipment they use...Great Idea!!!

I started this thread because, as a manager, I always thought the field techs should have a voice. On a monthly basis, I would pull several techs from the field to particapate in a 2-3 hour roundtable discussion. The participants changed each time, and I always provided lunch. During these discussion, we would mull over topics just like this. Hopefully the right people are reading this thread and they can take something useful away from your suggestions!

there is a way to get an honest day's pay out of any employee....and it's no secret....... it's called FIRED and YOU"RE HIRED!!!!! it works well!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast