Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Ideas for improvement

Wink Re: Ideas for improvement

1. Regarding the bonus system. It needs to be split into 2 categorys that you can get bonus in.

Part 1 is a team based bonus so that when the team comes together you make a bonus check this will encourage people to work together. That should be 40% of the bonus.

Then part 2 should be a individual bonus worth 60% of the bonus. This would be along the lines of you set personal goals. If they have a good damage ratio. And have performed well. Reward that. This way those that have worked hard are not given a negative reward by no bonus from there positive results. I know Iknow. Mangaments answer is that if the team does not bonus they will put pressure on those not performing. And while it sounds good it just dont work without something in place to make the individual WANT to do well. Not everyone or every locator is self motovated to do well. So a individual reward will keep the hard workers going. And encourage those not performing to do just that...Perform......And you will not loose the intrest of those that are working hard because you are giving them 60% of a bonus for doing that.....

And before someone says its a bonus check. And is not a part of your wage. For years....I have been told it is part of my wage. From several managers. While you can only make 3% raise if you perform you will get a bonus....so lets make it positive.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerSweep View Post
    Once again, you offer problems, but no solutions.
    This thread is "Ideas for improvement"
    How do we fix the staffing problem? I can say this much... we hired A LOT of people in Illinois this year, but we lost A LOT of people.
    Give us ideas on how to fix that problem.... if we can't come up with ways to fix it, how do we expect those above us to do it? We are the ones out here everyday, you would think we would have a ton of ideas, but I just keep seeing everyone bitching about the problems without offering solutions.

Second, those evaluations are not "Brainstorming teams" those are just feedback surveys to indicate opportunities for improvement. A supervisor must take it upon themselves to address his/her weaknesses as indicated by the survey. If you look at ideas that were posted before you, you might find an idea on how to improve the evaluation process.

I see you have a problem with the bonus (bone-us) program, but once again.... no ideas for improvement. Change doesn't come by bitching alone. Change comes by providing the necessary people with a direction other than the status quo.

When you bitch and expect change, it is like assuming that managers above you have thought of every idea & just haven't done anything yet. When you offer viable ideas, you are providing alternatives to the status quo that may not have been thought of previously. After you have offered ideas and nothing changes, you can then ask why we have not tried these ideas & you can expect that a reply is given to you.

Colonel Travis At the Alamo....."hold on boys helps coming!!!!" Oh sh** its the Alamo

Default Re: Ideas for improvement

Any incentive besides overtime would be better then the prospect of an unachievable goal. Or constant promises that never make it past a lowly locator. no offense to all the locators. I dont mind being the boots or the back bone of the company but I refuse to be the asshole of the company.
    I'll locate you dig.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    I would agree with powersweep that "bitching" will not render solutions, but you need to really listen to the bitching because that bitching is a symptom of the disease that is utility locating. The bitching is the cough caused by too many cigarettes, stop the smoking the cough goes away. I think in order to fix the problem of turnover, which leads to understaffing. There needs to be an understanding of why people leave (symptom), and why people are so disgruntled, and allways seeking a way out of this industry. I've never worked in an industry that has the volumn of disgruntled, angry employees as I have in this industry. I know of not one individual that works for my company that is not absolutly beaten down, burned out, over stressed, and fed up. This is not bitching, I am merely trying to point out some of the reasons you-the contract locating industry-cannot hire, and retain quality people. It is a catch 22 you cant keep the people required to manage areas, and you cant manage the areas without the required number of people. Reading some of the previous post the question was asked or speculation was made about what it takes to do this job, and how to best screen potential hires by a line of questioning (interview) to determine apptitude. I believe almost anybody can do this job if given the proper tools, support, and a work load befitting one indivual ,and not 3 or 4. So the evaluation process is not faulty, but the roles you are trying to fill. I would say a good place to start is to find a way to drastically reduce workloads. Simply answer the question "how can we as ABC locating service reduce workloads to a truely manageable level" and I dont mean a level that appears appropriate based on SIX-SIGMA models. I mean levels where guys can work 45, or 50 hours a week, and go home knowing they did a good honest days work, and covered all their bases.
    So that is my # 1 solution, just answer the question posed above throwing out all preconcieved ideas, traditions, and greed of this industry.
    I agree with hireing enough peeps to do the job. However when this happens all those peeps that were complaining about needing help notice their ot going down. Then those same peeps start complaining that they are not makeing enough hours to pay their bills. It is lmost a catch 22 situation. Me myself I have been doing this long enough that OT is nice however it is not a must. If companies could find away to get everyone happy. It would be nice.

Years of Experience
    na

I will never be happy...

To old, ornery, and worn down from lifes BS...

I made the attempt for a period of time but those fleeting moments of bliss were hardly worth the price and effort to chase...

The only time I have been happy with this or any other locate company I have been with during the past 13yrs is when I was out of town and at the strip club and had some nice P@#$Y in my face
    C.Y.A. like everyone is out to screw you and ya will be fine!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    Like I said, welcome to the world's largest locating company, one that's full of piss poor communication, dogshit planning, and mistreated slaves, err, employees.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gryphon
    I would agree with powersweep that "bitching" will not render solutions, but you need to really listen to the bitching because that bitching is a symptom of the disease that is utility locating. The bitching is the cough caused by too many cigarettes, stop the smoking the cough goes away. I think in order to fix the problem of turnover, which leads to understaffing. There needs to be an understanding of why people leave (symptom), and why people are so disgruntled, and allways seeking a way out of this industry. I've never worked in an industry that has the volumn of disgruntled, angry employees as I have in this industry. I know of not one individual that works for my company that is not absolutly beaten down, burned out, over stressed, and fed up. This is not bitching, I am merely trying to point out some of the reasons you-the contract locating industry-cannot hire, and retain quality people. It is a catch 22 you cant keep the people required to manage areas, and you cant manage the areas without the required number of people.

Reading some of the previous post the question was asked or speculation was made about what it takes to do this job, and how to best screen potential hires by a line of questioning (interview) to determine apptitude. I believe almost anybody can do this job if given the proper tools, support, and a work load befitting one indivual ,and not 3 or 4. So the evaluation process is not faulty, but the roles you are trying to fill.

I would say a good place to start is to find a way to drastically reduce workloads. Simply answer the question "how can we as ABC locating service reduce workloads to a truely manageable level" and I dont mean a level that appears appropriate based on SIX-SIGMA models. I mean levels where guys can work 45, or 50 hours a week, and go home knowing they did a good honest days work, and covered all their bases.
    So that is my # 1 solution, just answer the question posed above throwing out all preconcieved ideas, traditions, and greed of this industry.

GRYPHON:

Wow, lots to read and digest in this post. I certainly agree with where you are going in relation to paragraph one (I broke your message apart to glean a more thorough understanding of what you were saying). In fact, I have said the very same thing in other posts. It is not rocket science...figure out what is causing the work related problems/stressors...fix them and by and large the issues/bitching will disappear. As well, people in the field will also appreciate a manager who IS SEEN TO BE TRYING TO REMEDY ISSUES. However, blowing smoke up peoples butts about trying to solve problems is pretty transparent and people will see through those easily. Only genuine efforts will be rewarded.

Your thoughts on finding out why people are leaving is excellent, it gives management some insight AFTER THE FACT. They still NEED to do this AND to translate the information gleaned from the exit interviews into meaningful data that can be used during the hiring process. MANAGEMENT ABSOLUTELY HAS TO KNOW what personality types and work traits an individual MUST possess in order to function in this job. I do not agree that "almost anyone can do this job." That is akin to saying ALMOST everyone can be a Carpenter, Sheet Metal worker or a Plumber. I suppose it is true but how well they can function is of major importance as well.
    Management must interview and follow up on information learned in the interview to determine how exact it is and know things like how much time they missed and why, how much work the individual accomplished in the average day, can they work independently, do they know what "teamwork" means and do they truly live it? These questions are germane to the overall success of the hire I believe.

Screening is an important attribute in the overall success of the corporation. That MOST management I have met over the years does not understand this, I find appalling. As a manager, you MUST know what qualities a person has to bring to the job, what related work skills will work best, what level of stress that person can live under...long term. It is also incumbent upon management to know what constitutes adequate training and provide it, give ongoing updated meaningful training, provide field personnel with adequate time to render adequate field support to new personnel and of course as you clearly point out workloads that are appropriate.

There are ways as well to satisy those who want the hours and those who see quality of life as an over riding issue and therefore want less hours.

Anyway, we agree so I will not belabor the point.

Great post GRYPHON. Had me thinking it over for a few days now.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

I do enjoy this thread...... every once in a while, someone slaps a well thought out post down on the board & provokes others to follow suit.

You can "THROW" out good ideas till your blue in the face and i guarantee you they will never try a single one of them mainly because it wasnt their idea....

The industry will never change there is nothing we as locators or supervisors can do about it, that is entirely up to management. You will also give them the answers they need to make this industry the best thing in the world and they will follow suit with yet another question and numbers that they pull out of thier asses.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Spinks
    This is the new Kansas you can run Wichita Ks with 4 people no more. I did the research and Wichita has never gotten that many tickets.
    Yet another Manager that was full of the preverbial Shit. This market down here has never done anything but grow the city since I came back from Chicago has gotten crazy stupid huge I dont know where they are all coming from but hell its job security.

This man was telling us this while I had over 400 tickets on my board at one time.

So it all comes down to its on their plate to do with and they choose not to do or care anything about it and never will, thus why all of us are looking for other jobs....

Like I said, welcome to the world's largest locating company, one that's full of piss poor communication, dogshit planning, and mistreated slaves, err, employees.

Cool Re: Ideas for improvement

I get a good laugh out of those locators too. To many hours to much......to much.....

Then when the help is here....I can'nt pay my bills. HELP.....You should plan your budget arround 40 hours. Above that is gravy and should hit the bank accouant.

Quote Originally Posted by TechMaster View Post
    I agree with hireing enough peeps to do the job. However when this happens all those peeps that were complaining about needing help notice their ot going down. Then those same peeps start complaining that they are not makeing enough hours to pay their bills. It is lmost a catch 22 situation. Me myself I have been doing this long enough that OT is nice however it is not a must. If companies could find away to get everyone happy. It would be nice.

Colonel Travis At the Alamo....."hold on boys helps coming!!!!" Oh sh** its the Alamo

The best year I have had in the locating business, was when the manager hired temp help under the table. And when the company lifted the hiring freeze in the spring new guys were trained and ready to go.

Talking Re: Ideas for improvement

I do remember that....ANO to the rescue...
    That was a good year

Quote Originally Posted by old 82 View Post
    The best year I have had in the locating business, was when the manager hired temp help under the table. And when the company lifted the hiring freeze in the spring new guys were trained and ready to go.

The way I see it is if management don't get help soon. Kansas will be in the toilet.
    "The world needs anger. The world often continues to allow evil because it isn't angry enough". -Bede Jarrett

Kansas is the toilet and were the Poo gettin flushed

Quote Originally Posted by GODFATHER View Post
    Kansas is the toilet and were the Poo gettin flushed
    So then there is light at the end of the sewer pipe to freedom. thanks godfather I was starting to think that I would be stuck in the bowl untill death.
    I'll locate you dig.

Years of Experience

i wouldn't start celebrating just yet brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hang in there dude...
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567