Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for improvement

Default Re: Ideas for improvement

Quote Originally Posted by PowerSweep View Post
    1. I say that any time managment determines a damage to be the result of failure to perform the locate correctly the locator should be brought back to the sceen within 24 hours.

2. Does anybody think there is any value in doing this?
    1. There is a sup and a lead locator out here in the field who will not let the locator go back to any damage. Seems fishy to me. We have always went back to our damages as soon as we find out about them. The locator is entitled to see and know what is going on. Seems someone out here is hiding something. UNDERHANDED I DO BELIEVE!

2. I agree about time constraints when the companies seem more concerned about productivity and making money for the companies. But I do believe it would be a great learning experience for everyone. I also think that there would be no possible way a sup could try to blame an employee if it were all caught on tape! The company would have to consider the time and evaluate whether they think it would be advantageous. I personally think it would be IN THE LONG RUN!
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

- General William Thornson, U.S. Army

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    in the end it is either being to lazy to do the job right or lack of experience
    OK ifindit let's go. I DO NOT AGREE WITH YOUR STATEMENT!

I know of a lot of damages that the company and locators have been charged with that were neither laziness nor their abilities. When locators are being pushed as hard as they are to produce and make money, and they are bombarded with more tickets than anyone could possibly get done, accidents are bound to happen. DID YOU HEAR THE WORD "ACCIDENT". No matter what the gods of locating think, people are just people and are mostly just human and trying to do the best job they can, given their situation. Some situations are better than others. If you have a supervisor that leaves you alone and lets you do your job your way, you can get a lot done. But, if you have an a**hat breathing down your throat every two minutes and screaming constantly and sending you from one end of the country to the other, and conducting safety meetings constantly and holding conference calls on a daily basis, HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO YOUR JOB? That is neither laziness nor a reflection of a person's abilities.
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

I ALSO HAVE ONE MORE REALLY GREAT IDEA FOR IMPROVEMENT!!!

Tell the damn Lead Locators to quit skimming the gravy tickets off of everyone else's ticket loads so he/she can look like he/she's actually making production. When in fact he/she is doing absolutely nothing and taking credit on a daily basis for what a great job he/she is doing!!!!!!!!!! I AM SICK TO DEATH OF THIS SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pardon my french.

I thought about the overhead involved with this. I know we can't bring a whole team to a dmage location, but I do believe there is value in showing the whole team a damage. I think the reduced damage costs would pay for the cost of the video cameras and DVDs.

Now that I think about it, I did bring a whole team to the site of a damage once for a tailgate..... never had that type of damage again.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LocatingLarry View Post

Tell the damn Lead Locators to quit skimming the gravy tickets off of everyone else's ticket loads so he/she can look like he/she's actually making production. When in fact he/she is doing absolutely nothing and taking credit on a daily basis for what a great job he/she is doing!!!!!!!!!! I AM SICK TO DEATH OF THIS SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pardon my french.

It's going to get awful interesting around this forum when Locating Larry learns to be assertive rather than the somewhat shy person she appears to be..... just having fun with ya L.L.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

1. There is a sup and a lead locator out here in the field who will not let the locator go back to any damage. Seems fishy to me. We have always went back to our damages as soon as we find out about them. The locator is entitled to see and know what is going on. Seems someone out here is hiding something. UNDERHANDED I DO BELIEVE!

2. I agree about time constraints when the companies seem more concerned about productivity and making money for the companies. But I do believe it would be a great learning experience for everyone. I also think that there would be no possible way a sup could try to blame an employee if it were all caught on tape! The company would have to consider the time and evaluate whether they think it would be advantageous. I personally think it would be IN THE LONG RUN!

Had an interesting situation arise a few years back regarding item number one. The locator who experienced the damage apparently lost it at the scene of the hit and directed some unflattering verbage toward a few select individuals. While that may at some level be understandable it adds nothing to the investigation but additional stress. It also has the tendency to harden everyones positions.

In our company at this time, the individual with the hit is NOT invited to the scene. They may be asked their opinion or to justify their locate, say the next day but generally, assessments are made and that is that.

I agree that the individual should be given an opportunity to substantiate their locate, but, if that individual cannot do it in a professional manner, then they probably should not be there.

Having said that do I agree that our present system works well. No, I do not. I was charged with a hit a while back that I thought was Bulls**t, and I had no ability to defend myself as the decision had already been made. When a utility company tells you a line is abandoned and you take their word for it, they rightly should stand behind their word. That did not happen.

2) Item 2 in theory is a great idea as it has the potential to enhance learning. However, it very quickly could degenerate to a not so subtle way to embarass and punish locators who have hits. No one likes their dirty laundry aired.

However, these videos could be used anonamously say in training situations or perhaps in a safety meeting 6 or eight months after the event to lessen the impact.

Just my humble thoughts, not saying I am right here...
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Hmmmm..... Lead Techs around here have our own B.S. tickets to worry about in fact we have some of the worst areas in town so I would say death to your leads if they have the ability to skim work off the other people????

Our problem is the Sup giving the gravy to the newbies. I know they need to have them to learn but for gods sake dont give them all to them LOL.... We have to make up our numbers from the Poo Poo tickets somewhere....
    C.Y.A. like everyone is out to screw you and ya will be fine!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    Like I said, welcome to the world's largest locating company, one that's full of piss poor communication, dogshit planning, and mistreated slaves, err, employees.

Smile Re: Ideas for improvement

Here is a couple of ideas...

First off plan your attrition. Hire the appropriate amount of people to begin with and have them in place prior to the rush. Do not be afraid to hire part time help. Use them tuesday,wedsday,thursday, . Find soemone who that schedule will work for. A retired bell tech? Then you have a couple of those on the crew they pull up the slack on the 3 busy days.

Second off

In any district. If any supervisor group has to work a mandatory weekend. All of the managment staff from the rm down including the trainers, and quality should be required to work it too. This would result in a couple of things. If the r.m. the d.m., 5 supervisor. And the director of quality 2 damage prevention guys and the trainer are all locating there. That would be 11 more techs locating in that area that weekend. Even if they only did 10 tickets a piece it would e 110 tickets done. In some routes thats alot.

Second it would put all of us in the same boat. If we are mandatory we are all mandatory. It makes the problem everyones, and showes the field that managment is also stuck in this. And I know if all of managment is on Mandatory weekends all summer it would make it a top priority to be staffed and trainned going forward.

I guess in a nut shell. HIre for the attrition before it turns into a disaster. And if you did'nt hire. Get in the boat and help row!!!!!!

Yeah but if they get in the boat we know for a fact its gonna sink, havent you seen some of the guys???? LMMFAO!!!!

Like I said, welcome to the world's largest locating company, one that's full of piss poor communication, dogshit planning, and mistreated slaves, err, employees.

Quote Originally Posted by thejoker View Post

First off plan your attrition. Hire the appropriate amount of people to begin with and have them in place prior to the rush. Do not be afraid to hire part time help. Use them tuesday,wedsday,thursday, . Find soemone who that schedule will work for. A retired bell tech? Then you have a couple of those on the crew they pull up the slack on the 3 busy days.

Second off

In any district. If any supervisor group has to work a mandatory weekend. All of the managment staff from the rm down including the trainers, and quality should be required to work it too. This would result in a couple of things. If the r.m. the d.m., 5 supervisor. And the director of quality 2 damage prevention guys and the trainer are all locating there. That would be 11 more techs locating in that area that weekend. Even if they only did 10 tickets a piece it would e 110 tickets done. In some routes thats alot.

Second it would put all of us in the same boat. If we are mandatory we are all mandatory. It makes the problem everyones, and showes the field that managment is also stuck in this. And I know if all of managment is on Mandatory weekends all summer it would make it a top priority to be staffed and trainned going forward.

I guess in a nut shell. HIre for the attrition before it turns into a disaster. And if you did'nt hire. Get in the boat and help row!!!!!!
    100%
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Yeah he has brought that idea up before and of course nothing came of it....

Second off

Yes if upper management would get off there lazy &%$# and work every Sat them we all know things would be diff.
    "The world needs anger. The world often continues to allow evil because it isn't angry enough". -Bede Jarrett

Years of Experience
    na

Second off

I want to be on that floater/part timer crew...

Remember what floaters were in the old public pool days???

A terd randomly floating around in a big pool of water...

Well????

So ya callin yersef a turd there buddy LMAO!!!!

Wink Re: Ideas for improvement

you use the part time help to assit in heavy work load areas...You could also send them to other areas/districts to help out. I worked on a crew that did this...Had 2 part time people. 1 of them did not clear a single ticket in that area all year. He was helping in another area. The second worked 3 days a week. The crew worked 2 mandatory saturdays all summer and that was in another crews area. They bonused every month. IT WORKED> They also had zero attrition for the year. That sir was the best year I worked for smp. and several of us in freeport thought the same thing....

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    I want to be on that floater/part timer crew...

Remember what floaters were in the old public pool days???

A terd randomly floating around in a big pool of water...

Well????

Colonel Travis At the Alamo....."hold on boys helps coming!!!!" Oh sh** its the Alamo

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast