Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas for improvement

Lightbulb Ideas for improvement

OK, so we have a lot of people on here that think things should be better.
    What I would like to see is if there is anyone on here that has ideas on how to make things better.

What I don't want to see is the typical:

PAY US MORE
    GET BETTER MANAGERS & SUPERVISORS
    FIRE THIS PERSON OR THAT PERSON
    KICK THIS GUYS A##

Bring on ideas that do not target managers or companies. Bring ideas that get wheels turning. Ideas that our companies will actually take a look at and find the value added by following up on it.

Think of things like:
    Rewards programs
    Mentoring programs
    Recognition programs

Get the picture?

We can make change by offering ideas that are easy and cost effective to the people that be. Once you make little changes, you can aim higher. You climb mountains one step at a time. It has been said many times here that their are lurkers who monitor what is said. This is your chance to give them ideas that they don't tune out imediately because they are not attacking anyone. They are ideas that make a difference and aren't too difficult or drastic.

BABY STEPS!

Now I will take a seat &

Chicagoman

Default Re: Ideas for improvement

Bonus or Rewards Programs are OK. But a Company must stick to it word, Make it so you have control if you deserve it or not. (dont allow other locator numbers affect other locator's bonus or reward). Mentoring Programs are great. You must have good mentors for it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoman View Post
    Bonus or Rewards Programs are OK. But a Company must stick to it word, Make it so you have control if you deserve it or not. (dont allow other locator numbers affect other locator's bonus or reward). Mentoring Programs are great. You must have good mentors for it to work.

OK, good first step.

You said mentoring programs are great.....BUT you must have good mentors ---- tell me more about this statement:
    1) What makes a good mentor?
    2) How can we develop mentors?
    3) How do we determine who the best mentors are?
    4) Should there be a standardized mentoring program?
    A) If so, what HAS to be part of it?

If we want to make a change, we have to be very detailed in what we want. You guys keep throwing out the ideas & I will keep digging for more (that is, if you don't mind).

Chicagoman

First thing I see is we tell are Supervisor's and Key Locator's to be Mentors. Which doesnt work. There must want to be Mentors. You cant fake it. You must give them time to work with them, You must train the Mentor to be a Mentor as well, Look for out side help. (out side the Company) Maybe ask your Utility Company you locate for to get involved.

There you go, there is the first idea to come from this:

Attempt to form partnerships with the utility companies in developing the skills of our locators.

NICOR gas has actually asked to take part in this by doing ride alongs with the Illinois technicians.

Chicagoman

Yes I know. I love working with Nicor. I have back them up on alot of Watch and Protects. That Dept. is short staffed.

OK Powersweep here goes. We'll take it one step at a time. Nice and slow and deliberate.

A good place to start is always at the beginning. For us that would be CONTRACTS.

Look long and hard at the current procedure for contracts. Always bid to make money and never underbid to match what you think the competition will bid. Take into account the following:

- Price by 100 ft increments per cable per ticket on big jobs, rather than by 500 ft increments per ticket. That way we won't get the shaft on long locate tickets or tickets with lots of cables and fibers to locate on them. That way it is easier to keep up with production and all locators will be treated the same as well.

- Ensure locators are not required to uncover manholes, dig up pedestals, clear brush, etc. Their responsibility is to locate. The utility owner is required keep their own equipment in sight (maybe with some kind of marker).

MANAGEMENT:

- Positive Leadership training from an outside source should be implemented. At this time, leadership training is relatively non-existant. We cannot expect to promote within without some sort of training provided to achieve our goals. Our goals should not be to brow beat locators but to support and equip them to properly do their jobs.

- Watch the watchers. Make sure your leaders are doing there jobs with a positive professional attitude. They are leaders and as a leader their first responsibility is to lead by example. Their attitude has a direct effect on their subordinates.

LOCATING AREAS:

- As best you can, pair locators and assign locators to their own areas and a backup area near home to conserve time, gas, wear and tear of vehicles (i.e. Joe lives in Area 1 and his primary area is Area 1. Dave lives in Area 2 and his primary area is Area 2. Joe covers Area 2 as a backup for sick days and vacation. Dave covers Area 1 for the same.)

- Try to keep locators in areas assigned. Let them learn their areas and get to know their contractors. Let them build relationships with them. This will all save time and money and confusion.

EQUIPMENT:

- Provide all necessary equipment for locators, including: shovels, maps, hard hats, metal detectors. Locators should never be required to purchase equipment for the company. And all equipment must be kept in working order at all times.

HOURS:

- Quality over quantity. Give locators as many hours as it takes to do the job, while ensuring a fair overview of how long a particular locate should take, keeping in mind the number of cables or fibers as well as how big the job is, and remembering newbies take longer than experienced.

OK guys - have I missed anything? Or have I gotten anything wrong?

You have got the idea......should I ask probing questions?

Sure - can't say I can or will answer them, but shoot!

Years of Experience
    na

Whats this I m hearing about probing???

Just kidding...

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    Whats this I m hearing about probing???

Just kidding...

LOL... thought the same thing... but wasn't saying anything!

Years of Experience

I know every state is different and the needs for improvement are different.

One thing I never understood is why the locating companies don't work with the one call centers. Here in WI we have all the planning tickets come in on 3 day tickets. Today I got a one hour relocate from a ticket that was over a year old. I get these illegal tickets daily. I turn them all in but nothing gets done. All these violations are right in the one call center's excavators guide and subject to fines. If we got the one-call center to start enforcing their own laws then it would save us tons of time. I hate when I have a route I'm trying to do and get called away from my route on a short notice ticket that is over a year old. Also taking down what people are calling in instead of just typing mark entire lot.

Another thing is the bonus plan. This is not a team game. Why are there no bonuses for going damage free as a locator. I think there should be a monthly bonus if you go damage free. I know the companies don't have to do this but some people just need a little incentive. Under all the bonus plans I've seen there is no real reason for a locator to try to go damage free. Under most these damage plans I've seen if anyone on your team screws up you get nothing, how could I have stopped the damage that happened three cities away from where I work. If there is a big damage on the 3rd of the month what's the incentive for all the other locators on the team for going damage free.

Sorry for the long post.

Years of Experience
    na

All kidding aside my suggestion is of more tag teaming (2 locators working together) more frequently if not permanently in alot of squirrely areas where hook up points are distant, long jobs, congested areas...

As much as I m atypical antisocial type it does boost morale to work with a fellow locator on occasion...

I guess management mentality is not only that it may lose money but they dont want to fry 2 at a time on a damage...

I have always been more productive tag teaming jobs then not seeing the light working independently on a tough project or unfamiliar area it just seems good to have 2 personnel working to figure the chaos out...

A heavily project inundated area should have a steady tag team approach...

Part of the day split lot tickets other part of day work together to maintain productivity ...
    Last edited by USIC1; July 2nd, 2008 at 09:29 PM.

"Sorry for the long post"

Do not be sorry for typing ideas for change. We talk about feeling better after "Venting on here" Let's feel better for expressing ideas for making things better.

Here is a question for you Golden..... What if the problem isn't the one call systems? What if the problem is the laws in each state that do not allow for any "teeth" within the one call laws?
    Should the idea be that our companies hire people to lobby for tougher "Dig laws" or even just by-laws allowing inforcement by the one call center?

Years of Experience

USIC1 this is one point I totally agree with you on. I feel with two people on projects you really get the ground painted fast. Especially the manhole areas. Yesterday I did a locate in the morning where I went up and down the manhole 12 times trying to find the right cables that would tone. With a second guy this would have been a snap.

Even to have a couple 2 person project teams to float around to different areas doing the horrible upgrades.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast