• 1 Post By yahoo
  • 2 Post By Mke
  • 3 Post By UULC
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: I went to the Dark Side

Years of Experience
    30+

Default I went to the Dark Side

After 6 years with Stake Center Locating, I resigned on January 1 and went to work on the contractor side as a Project Manager. After SnN took over you could not get a merit raise for the excellent work you were doing. I was working in markets out of town and helping fellow locators who were making a lot more then I was.

I seen it as a dead end job. So a contractor offered me a substantial more money and I pondered it for a month and a half. I finely took it and I am loving it 2 months in. I now enter the tickets in via computer and put down more info then needed to get the locate done. I have added verbage to the tickets no agreements allowed unless I agree to them. USIC still puts down that I agreed to a marking schedule when I did not.

I have to say I am a lot happier doing project management. It is a juggleing act trying to keep the jobs on tract and making sure USIC has marked everything. I call thier dispatch several times a wee or even a day for ticket past due by day's.

If all the others facilities are getting marked but on 98% of my tickets are not USIC need to quit lowballing or hire more locators. Coming from a locating past I grid the ticket right and explain the ticket in detail.

Do I miss locating, yes I do. But locators need to make $20.00 per hour or better if they are good and can keep up with the load as I was doing.

Well off my soap box and good locating.
    daman1, Cuda, Mark and 4 others like this.

Years of Experience
    a few

Default Re: I went to the Dark Side

Enjoy the new job and the raise! Maybe you will be on a site and catch something that wasn't marked and be the company hero. Do you still pack a locator around with you?

Years of Experience

wait a minute ......does this mean I am not going to be able to stay at your house any more while I go to Disney ???? LOL !!! you will be good in any field brother . Good luck with your new job !!! keep your pipe locater with you at all times just in case. ha .
    Mke likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Congrats UULC!!

I still sling paint, but have had the opportunity to either call in locates or work closely enough with the contractors to get them to call in tickets that make sense. I'm surprised more contractors don't have a "Utility Coordinator" on board to make sure stuff gets marked correctly and is maintained.

Don't forget us little people.

mke
    yahoo and daman1 like this.

Years of Experience
    30+

I made my 3 months with great success. The only problem I have is USIC NEVER mark my tickets within the time allowed. We are starting to bill for down time due to not being marked. I have added this to EVERY ticket:

DUE TO PAST AGREEMENTS NOT BEING KEPT BY LOCATORS, THE JOHNSTON TRUST DOES NOT MAKE AGREEMENTS WITH LOCATORS IN THE FIELD. ANY ALLEGEDLOCATE AGREEMENT MUST BE DOCUMENTED AND SIGNED BY BOTH PARTIES OR THERE IS NOAGREEMENT. NO EXCEPTIONS

i REQUIRE AN EMAIL TO CONFIRM THE AGREEMENT BY BOTH PARTIES.

It is working! I have also sterted to turn in non-complaiance form to Sunshine811.

Doues anyone else see this on thheir tickets?
    Mark, daman1 and TheCableVine like this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    After 6 years with Stake Center Locating, I resigned on January 1 and went to work on the contractor side as a Project Manager. After SnN took over you could not get a merit raise for the excellent work you were doing. I was working in markets out of town and helping fellow locators who were making a lot more then I was.

I worked at S&N about 6 years. There is S&N Locating and S&N Communications which are separately charted corporations but have same CEO. There is no written policy prohibiting raises but that is the way both corporations operate.

If faced with too many resignations some raises may be given out. Mostly raises are promised and do not appear. I know people who worked there eight years still at start pay. With inflation this amounts to pay cut every year.

If you hire on and are promised a "starting" pay that is all you are going to get. So demand a wage you want to get at least the next 5 years and if you do not get it, get it in writing, do not sign on.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

this is fact ! these guys learned that here in Louisiana . none of them have got a raise yet but doesn't matter they are fixing to lose their at&t contract .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    this is fact ! these guys learned that here in Louisiana . none of them have got a raise yet but doesn't matter they are fixing to lose their at&t contract .
    When I started I was told there would be a start pay and after 6 months I would be evaluated and if my work was worth it I would be given a raise. After six months nobody for an evaluation or a raise. Company said we were told we would be evaluated after six months bu that did not mean raises would be given. We all remembered in our job interviews being told raises would be due in six months.

After mass resignations raises were given. We were promised raises every year which did not appear. Always some reason; The CFO refused to sign off, the HR director stopped it until her department made a standardized evaluation form - which they never did.

In 2016 there would be a general raise, a merit raise in six months and then a merit raise the first of every year. No merit raises came.

It really is a matter of the CEO Allan Powell does not give raises.