Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm done.........................................

Default I think I'm done.........................................

Locating has been something that I have enjoyed doing for a long time now.

However I think my time has come to move on to other things. Locating has always been something I have wanted to do but lately I am having one of those shower 'moments'. The one that when the water is hitting your head and your thinking about the day. Those use to get me out the door and in the truck. Now they aren't those thoughts any longer. They are 'Where is this going?', 'What will I be doing in a couple of years?', 'The same thing?'.

I thought I had some things on lock down. This industry ALWAYS proves you wrong when you start thinking like that.

I guess Locating can always be a stop gap or a back up plan. Maybe I will get a government job, they seem to be hiring.

Good luck to all and keep doing what you do. Know that there are people out there who understand and are proud of the job you all do.

AULupstate = Don Lyng

Default Re: I think I'm done.........................................

Good Luck with whatever career you pursue. Maybe you can hook up with Yahoo!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Hey, we all know that once you are a locator you are always a locator no matter what you are doing for a paycheck. So, with that in mind you know that you are always welcome here even if you are working for the Government.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I hate to see the good guys depart the industry. It sucks that you and Yahoo are exiting stage left, but I hope for the best for the both of you. Know that their is the locating "promise land" out there. One where you are locating a single utility in one area for $25+ an hour, with a boss that will back you blindly....

Good luck

mke

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I didn't mean to leave Yahoo out. What would we do without our top poster?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

You'll be back, paint fume addition is hard to kick.

I too have stood in a field ala Gone With the Wind, shook my fist at the sky and declared that I "will never paint dirt again!".

You do not have to be active in the industry to post here, keep dropping by. Also there is enough info here to keep you up with what is happening and if ever consider doing the work again such information would be very useful.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Utility locating as a profession is something for few people. It is definitely not for everyone. However, when times get tough or you need a job between jobs and you know how to locate. You will always have a job.

Years of Experience
    retired

I've been out of the spraying biz for 2 years now, I still remember how I got where I am and drop by occasionally.

Frostypeters told me once, it's like a trade you can always fall back on if you have to.

Tell you what though, if you find something better don't look back with too much fondness~! (Conversely, good luck trying to stop talking about your former life!)
    "Aye, verily hath I spoken." - Thor, god of thunder

Years of Experience

Man, AUL it would really be a bitch here without you buddy! I wish you all the best in all you that you do. And again, once a locator, ALWAYS A LOCATOR!! It's the only constant in this crazy world of ours.....

I'm still going to be here. I believe I have alot to offer with my experiences. I know at some point (if I don't stay in the industry) that will become irrelevent and not mean anything but for now I am still with the 'vine'.

I'm actually working on getting my EMT cerification and have been for a couple of months now. I'm playing around with getting my Rescue Diver cert as well. Now that I have the time.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post
    I'm still going to be here. I believe I have alot to offer with my experiences. I know at some point (if I don't stay in the industry) that will become irrelevent and not mean anything but for now I am still with the 'vine'.

I'm actually working on getting my EMT cerification and have been for a couple of months now. I'm playing around with getting my Rescue Diver cert as well. Now that I have the time.
    A guy I worked with had an EMT certification and experience, he did it as a volunteer. He turned it into money by working at the construction site of a nuclear power plant. They need an EMT / safety man on site whenever they work. More than doubled his hourly rate and got a lot of OT, all easy work. I forget the job title but some large firms hire people just for this.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Loss Control/ safety administrator.... We employ 3 of them, they are the safety guru's of the company. Not only do they have to have some medical training (EMT and such) but they go through the buildings, and work sites to keep an eye on hazards that may result in a "Loss" time accident.... hence the name Loss control. They do make pretty good money.

mke

I lost my job a year ago due to job elimination. 10 of my colleagues lost theirs as well. 6 months later, they hired back some. Since I was low man on the totem pole, I wasn't asked to come back. It was a damn good locating job with little stress, and it paid well. Now as I drive by construction areas and such, I feel like an outsider because I want to know what's going on, and don't have that "inside" information anymore. Had to go back to school to learn how to be a CNC machinist. Will make good money when I'm finished, but it won't compare to being a utility locator. At my age, I don't have many options open to me.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post
    My time has come to move on to other things. Lately, I am having one of those shower 'moments'. 'Where is this [job] going?', 'What will I be doing in a couple of years?', 'The same thing?' Maybe I will get a government job.
    Dude........ Snap out of it! You have a CLASSIC case of Man-O-Pause!

Midlife is the old age of youth and the youth of old age. - Proverb

And not just you upstate. All you muthas on this forum that are 40 something. Man-Up to the cards that life has dealt to you. You are the one who made all the decisions that brought you where you're at today. You guys can't afford turning in your woman for a newer model. Besides, all women are the same....... You guys can't afford changing your lifestyle. The job you got maybe sucks for you, but another line of work has it's problems too. Working for the government sucks big time. Just ask any government worker. That is, unless you're a judge or an elected bureaucrat. That's when rivers of cash flows your way and life is full of wine, HOT women and song. Quit daydreaming and go back to work paintin' dirt........ Luv Ya Man!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blunderbuss View Post
    I lost my job a year ago due to job elimination. 10 of my colleagues lost theirs as well. 6 months later, they hired back some. Since I was low man on the totem pole, I wasn't asked to come back. It was a damn good locating job with little stress, and it paid well. Now as I drive by construction areas and such, I feel like an outsider because I want to know what's going on, and don't have that "inside" information anymore. Had to go back to school to learn how to be a CNC machinist. Will make good money when I'm finished, but it won't compare to being a utility locator. At my age, I don't have many options open to me.
    A lot of people in this business get locator burnout. They leave for a few years and come back. This can be a high stress job or there are major disappointments like yours. So people get away for a few years and then come back to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast