Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I am done with this area of expertise....

Years of Experience

Default I think I am done with this area of expertise....

Six plus years in the business, and I think this is my final year. I have done all i can to convince myself that the pay is worth what I have out into this. There were times where four of us ran a crew of twelve, working seven days a week from before sunrise til after sunset, but at least in those days, it felt like I was completing something.

Fast foreword to today, where we cannot keep people, due to the unfortunate circumstances of our employers crying poor, yet buying out other companies. There are no raises, and I feel sorry for the fool that thinks that they will give them a "bonus" when the time comes around, because they "exceeded their projected income".

I may be a country boy, but I know a scam when I hear one, and I have heard enough trash come from above to know that I cannot work like this anymore. We are treated as we are nothing more than a button pusher, that everything is a number. I remember first getting into the business, and actually caring about what I did. Today, I realized that I care about my quality, and could give two or three sh$&s about everything else.

I get to what I can, and hope that I don't get fired over something I cannot get to.

I think we can all agree that some areas are harder than others, and they expect more from the people with harder areas. I can't keep fooling myself into believing everything is all right. Soon, this house of cards is going to fall, and I will be to blame for something out of my control.

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Default Re: I think I am done with this area of expertise....

It only took me two years to figure out that I had enough of USIC . As a job locating isn't bad work if you work for a company that is run by people that are somewhat intelligent, the final straw for me was when they replaced our supervisor with a demoted DM that not only failed me on an audit for not flagging marks that were on a sidewalk, and then couldn't figure out an access point for a 750 KV conduit and told me to power mode it, which I refused to do. The phone duct and the electric got painted side by side on that locate, even though they were 30 feet apart, and I did not bill the ticket.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I haven't been with a contract locating company for a few years, but when I was in the situation I couldn't find a different industry to go into. So I went to a Private locating firm, then eventually ended up "In-house".

Do you guys have another industry you can dive into?

I just have a personal curiosity to see what other jobs locators can get into. I've applied at everything, from security guard positions to Administrative coordinator positions and the block of time as a locator felt like it hampered everything.

Fortunately (Knock on wood), I have found a place where locators are treated very well and paid closer to what we are worth. But the curiosity is still there.

As a Locator, you always learn to keep looking for other opportunities.

Mke

Years of Experience

I feel the same way. 7years. Sm&p was awesome. Loved it but it went down hill after all the buy outs. Now I sit at home on lunch not wanting to even come back in knowing I just have to work on a holiday weekend

All the money USIC is making will be for nothing once the lawsuits start coming in. Treating employees this way WILL come back to bite them.

Years of Experience

I hope there is something else out there. I have a degree, experience at mechanical and industrial work. I was in the military, held a supervisors position for 2 years before moving for school, I have done customer service, worked in multiple restaurants, and have a calm and steady demeanor.
    I would do cold calling or something like McDonald's if I had to. At this point, it doesn't matter what I do, anything is better.

Years of Experience

I've said it before, and here we go again. They have ruined this business. Not just for you guys, but the business in general. There is a contempt and lack of respect for locators that carries over to other companies. They see what the world's biggest gets away with, and they ape it to the best of their abilities. They all claim to be broke. They all say they have non-existent profit margins. But at the end of the day, they know they are sticking multiple people in the rear every single damned day. And they are just fine with it. Because it's a competitive world. That's the reason I hear when I've questioned their motives. It's a competitive world.

Vampires. That's what you are dealing with. When the game ends, they'll take their crap game and leave town. Let's hope they get forced to leave. Soon.

Hey! Not to worry, Help is always on the way, Just ask DM and Sups.If they only knew what we go thru on a daily basis.And don't forget they want both quantity and quality at all times.We have all been down that road before.I find it funny that they try to keep all of us seperated as to not get any organization.Thanx to the Vine we are able to vent and complain just a little. I also agree strongly with Bad Robot that they will get theirs in the end.Heard rumors that Mr. Craig Herell is making the rounds to try to influance us lackys that all is well with U.S.I.C LMFAO........

Hello again vine...................long time no post on my part. Figured I would weigh in on this one though.

There IS LIFE after locating............I PROMISE. I became an EMT after my last locating company. I moved to where the wages equaled the cost of living and it was probably the smartest thing I have ever done. Do I miss locating? Yes I do sometimes. I also miss being in the Army and few other things I don't do anymore. There are REASONS why I don't do those things any more and those reasons outweigh my fond reflections (or dillusions depending on my actual mood).

It's scary. It's hard. It's a tuff decision to make and follow through on. What are the alternatives though? Wait for the other shoe to drop? Be caught off guard because of someone else's incompitance or stupidy (fed-ex and ups management have no reason being in the locating industry..............lol).

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post
    Hello again vine...................long time no post on my part. Figured I would weigh in on this one though.

There IS LIFE after locating............I PROMISE. I became an EMT after my last locating company. I moved to where the wages equaled the cost of living and it was probably the smartest thing I have ever done. Do I miss locating? Yes I do sometimes. I also miss being in the Army and few other things I don't do anymore. There are REASONS why I don't do those things any more and those reasons outweigh my fond reflections (or dillusions depending on my actual mood).

It's scary. It's hard. It's a tuff decision to make and follow through on. What are the alternatives though? Wait for the other shoe to drop? Be caught off guard because of someone else's incompitance or stupidy (fed-ex and ups management have no reason being in the locating industry..............lol).
    Hey look who's home! Welcome back friend, glad to hear things are still moving along YOUR WAY! You noobs, sit up and take notice. This locator has been there and back, and has escaped. And lived to tell the tale! Things can, and do, get better. But usually not with another contract outfit.

OHHH MY USIC!!! all I can say is in a song -

http://youtu.be/A9jlM5rdtCY

Last edited by UTILQ1; April 6th, 2012 at 10:58 PM.

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

I landed a job in the railroad industry, the pay is somewhat better, but the working conditions are a night and day difference. I worked eight hours today and got paid for twenty, as Good Friday is a paid holiday.

Years of Experience

Do they have any more positions? I am almost to the point where I could care less about everything related to this job. I guess, people are getting sick of me complaining, but it is hard not to when you feel life is passing you by, and you have moral values that conflict with what you are told is company policy.

I am actually taking a page from a fellow Viner, when I say "put it in writing, and I will do it".
    The problem I have with this company, is that they tout being family friendly, and helping out others, but cannot see that the employees that they have are valuable assets who need REAL appreciation, not an email, not a fine "how do you do" BS award, but a company picnic, even if it was district wide, or even just a, "Thanks,for making us money" would go a lot longer than, "you have to work overtime,oh and by the way, we are cutting back on manpower again".

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post

As an EMT on a county or city payroll job security and benefits tend to be pretty good. Still they sometimes cut back and eliminate positions.

One locator I worked with was an EMT and spent his spare time, what little there was, with the local volunteer fire department.

What he ran into was the position of site safety man on a long term constructions site. Paid real well so keep that in mind if you need to find work.

A company picnic or anything that would get us locators together as a group would be out of the question.That would cause to much negativity toward this poorly run company.
    Being treated as grade school children is the mainstay.And sadly we all seem to take it in stride,But all of us (TEAM )members should be thankful to have jobs with no positive representation at all...And do not forget to get home safe as USIC cares.....HA HA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast