Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I need a lot of help!

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Default Re: I need a lot of help!

Quote Originally Posted by Jcbro86 View Post
    60 tickets per 10 hr day is 6 tickets per hour, or 1 locate every 10 minutes. that's ridiculous, i've been in my area for 3 years and i would never even attempt to achieve this rate for 2 reasons.

1. by the time you drive to, check prints, perform the locate and bill the ticket in 10 minutes or less you have to be cutting some kind of corner, at least in my area you would be.
    2. if you are some kind of locate god like the anonymous locator in question then the problem is selfcreated. if you consistently only achieved slightly more than what was necessary to make revenue (say 30 instead of 60) and not super high ticket counts, more techs would be hired because it would be observed that you could work no faster.
    Two years ago when I was still toiling for USIC it was not unusual for me to have ten tickets in my queue from ten different contractors, for the same job. They all called in their refresh tickets at the same time at my request, I would put down new marks for them, and bill all ten tickets at the same time, so ten tickets done in forty minutes. It's little things like this that allows experienced locators to maintain high ticket volume while still being productive and damage free.

That was when I still cared though, towards the end of my tenure at USIC I didn't give a rats ass about what my production numbers looked like since I knew going above and beyond wasn't appreciated by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    Two years ago when I was still toiling for USIC it was not unusual for me to have ten tickets in my queue from ten different contractors, for the same job. They all called in their refresh tickets at the same time at my request, I would put down new marks for them, and bill all ten tickets at the same time, so ten tickets done in forty minutes. It's little things like this that allows experienced locators to maintain high ticket volume while still being productive and damage free.

That was when I still cared though, towards the end of my tenure at USIC I didn't give a rats ass about what my production numbers looked like since I knew going above and beyond wasn't appreciated by anyone.
    Yeah, good ol updates bump the numbers, look good, and justify legit pay for performance... ENTER though THE INFAMOUS UNUSER FRIENDLY mobile dispatches of in dire need tweaking of proprietory locate software that stymied field production... My final days with UQ included not just low production relative to days gone by but the expectations of meeting quotas relative to my pay, with 70% ass time to 30 % locate time due to pushing buttons and waiting for computer responses...

It had just become a nightmare... The fist was always tight and wanting to be driven into the screen over air card and system lag . Very sad to feel so vial at the computer and compromise the locating just to eek out managing expectations...What can you do
    but move on for sanity sake and uphold ones working ethic...

Just my take since locating from 1994 when things were so much more enjoyable...
    Last edited by UTILQ1; April 11th, 2012 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UTILQ1 View Post
    Just my take since locating from 1994 when things were so much more enjoyable...

Ahhh... the "good 'ole days". Life was so much simpler back then. Paint or clear and move on!!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Bassplyrguy View Post
    Ahhh... the "good 'ole days". Life was so much simpler back then. Paint or clear and move on!!
    Yes it was. Started with Byers Engineering in 1990 and it was much simpler. The tecknology is great but it really changed the industry and not all for the better in my opinion. Glad to be away from the contract locate world as it is now

If I found out, and I was still locating and they wouldn't want to match it. I would leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Enjoythefall View Post
    The reason you feel that way is because you (self-admittedly) don't fully understand your job yet.

Tell that to the 10 year vet who's area encompasses a 120,000+ population city. This guy gets the joy of waking up early every weekday to at least 7 water or gas emergencies. He knows his area well enough that 40+ tickets a day is expected. On a bad day he only does 30. 60+ is regularly accomplished during peak season.

He has had a few damages in the past, but last I knew he was on the damage free list for at least a year, and he makes the company so much money that they couldn't afford to get rid of him if they wanted to. Both my Sup and DM know this, and have said it out loud.

This guy is making less than $2 more an hour than you are.

If you really still don't understand what I am saying; I'm afraid I won't be able to explain it any better. I would, however, like to reiterate that I am not trying to personally attack you.

To sum up the gruffness of my first post:
    How would you feel if a few years down the line you are only getting paid $17.57 and they hire a new guy on at $21?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sauroke View Post
    Look Enjoythefall,

I am going to play a bit of numbers as you did, but playing a bit of Devils Advocate here. If your locator is doing 2 utilitieser ticket, and only getting 5 per locate, then there is NO problem with giving the new guy 16 an hour. The reason why I say this is because experienced locators are not going to go to a company with a terrible image of how they treat the employees. Word of mouth travels faster than any other form of advertising, and USIC has put a bad taste in many experienced locaters noses.
    No disrespect to you ctown, but this business, thanks to Contract locating, has dropped a skill learned from the best, and and a skill that takes time to culture, and has dropped it to a garden variety job.
    Pick up a receiver, and you to could be locating underground utilities!
    Ctown, care about the job you are on,not the next 40 that are coming yo.
    I agree, my mentor, someone who has been around for 20+ years, was in training for 3 MONTHS!
    It takes some time to become proficient at locating. I been at it for 3 months and I can make my quota, but I've still got alot to learn.
    I know the old timers had Dynatels and whatnot, nowdays we've got very accurate, user friendly equipment, but this is still a skill that has to be learned, turning it into a McJob ( sorry!) will only hurt the industry.
    Question: Back in the day were the push for numbers as great as they are now? And why or why not?

Wow I wish I had a 3 way area. Try 8 way, and do 20 a day+.

Quote Originally Posted by Enjoythefall View Post
    Out of college, you decide to do this? 16 an hour? f*ck USIC, and f*ck new hires getting paid more than I do.
    Is that you in your picture running away from the great M Stayton and staff like the cowardly lion in the wizard of oz left nadless upon discovering a newb is getting paid more!?!?!?

BWAHAHAAA!!!!

Just stirrin it up abit dont take it personally...

Years of Experience

Hey Ctown, are you still out there?
    If so...how are you doing?
    Getting things figured out?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KaineF View Post
    16 an hour!!! who the hell starts off with that?

yeah no crap

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UTILQ1 View Post
    Is that you in your picture running away from the great M Stayton and staff like the cowardly lion in the wizard of oz left nadless upon discovering a newb is getting paid more!?!?!?

BWAHAHAAA!!!!

Just stirrin it up abit dont take it personally...

mike staton is just the face of usic. it is owned by a canadian investment firm i beleive it is omer investments.

Years of Experience

Rats! I hit the wrong button!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123