Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I can teach you to locate phone, in two days!

Default I can teach you to locate phone, in two days!

Luckily, I already know how...

Just recieved word from my sup, that SM&P is going to train all 240+ Chicago locators how do phone on the last weekend of the month. Two days! I guess we'll go over how to prime a manhole pump during the second cigarette break..

Years of Experience

i am not a physic shovel...........but i see many damages in the future of smand p ...............

Years of Experience

Exclamation

Ohh someone call the insurance company and tell them to get the checks pre printed with the phone company on them,,,lol

Years of Experience

Hopefully there is some experienced phone guys in the area. As far as toning goes and least bleed off phone is by far the easiest because it is the only utility you can actually isolate . As far as congestion and crazy records I'm sure the guys and gals that have never located phone will have headaches by the end of each day.

And learning to deal with spending the time to get into all the manholes and handholes. In my area I get in 3-5 manholes a day. I'd actually rather locate out of manholes than peds but for someone that hasn't had much experience in manholes it will be trying.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Speaking of Telephone manholes, we have this whole proceedure.

Got to use a sniffer before we open lid, then remove lid and drop a gas detector down.

Then attach gas detector to waist and put ladder down (usually into water)

Then go down.

Has anyone actually had a manhole with H2S or methane in it? I have never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post

Got to use a sniffer before we open lid, then remove lid and drop a gas detector down.

Then go down.

Has anyone actually had a manhole with H2S or methane in it? I have never had a problem.
    Yep,

Had to call AT&T to come take care of it. I wasn't there when they arrived so I didn't get to see what happened. All I know is that my detector went balistic when I tested it. Called another tech to verify, and so did his. Sup sent us to another job while he waited for AT&T.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
    Luckily, I already know how...

Just recieved word from my sup, that SM&P is going to train all 240+ Chicago locators how do phone on the last weekend of the month. Two days! I guess we'll go over how to prime a manhole pump during the second cigarette break..

Rumor around here is that some from other areas will come in to help "train".

Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post

Then go down.

Did you not use your ventilator for 10 minutes b/4 you went down?
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

nxs

I would ventilate the manhole every time before I go down. I mean I donít want to put my life in the hands of a defective gas detector... just sayín.

Good locators can pick up on phone pretty quickly. It is the new ones that will have problems. They are just like any other utility, but have a few more variables in play.
    If you are not a Liberal by age 20, then you do not have a heart! If you are not a Conservative by age 40, then you do not have a brain!!!

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    Yep,

Had to call AT&T to come take care of it. I wasn't there when they arrived so I didn't get to see what happened. All I know is that my detector went balistic when I tested it. Called another tech to verify, and so did his. Sup sent us to another job while he waited for AT&T.

If we detected gas, we used a ventilator until the gas went below the dangerous level. Had one colleague who went into a manhole without ventilating. Got dizzy enough that he had to take a day off from work.

Ventilating should be standard practice, anyway, since the vaults contain "dead air".
    Last edited by Mr Blunderbuss; May 18th, 2008 at 06:11 PM.

Banned

Default No overtime for training

I have been told by the higher ups with SM&P No overtime will be paid for training. No matter what hours you put in before or after !!!!!!!!!!!!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    Rumor around here is that some from other areas will come in to help "train".
    From what I hear we all get the crash course weekend training and after that everyone will have a mandatory ride along with experienced phone locators from these other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blunderbuss View Post
    If we detected gas, we used a ventilator until the gas went below the dangerous level. Had one colleague who went into a manhole without ventilating. Got dizzy enough that he had to take a day off from work.

Ventilating should be standard practice, anyway, since the vaults contain "dead air".
    The original question to me was if there was ever a situation where "explosive" amounts of gas were found in a manhole, what would you do? The answer is to not open the lid and get ahold of the utility.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Hey everyone, was in a hurry on Friday night as I was headed out of town.

We do vent the manholes and did forget to mention that. I used to work for a major railway cleaning up product at derailments, so yes, I agree, do not take chances. Though, in 3 years have never come across one here.

In addition, our contract states we CANNOT enter any telephone manhole deeper than 6 feet...NOT TOO MANY OF THOSE in my neck of the woods.

Sorry for the confusion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast