Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am officially done today

Default Re: I am officially done today

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
    Good luck and Godspeed to you. If you can cut it in this biz, you can cut it in most others....don't be a stranger!
    Maybe you have comprehension issues? Read my post and notice my CHOICE is to leave it for another career and rest assured I have the ability to stay in the locating field if I so choose.

Years of Experience
    na

utility locator = retread

Oh well,

its like that first break-up...

after the first time it gets easier...

Quote Originally Posted by AntiQuest View Post
    Maybe you have comprehension issues? Read my post and notice my CHOICE is to leave it for another career and rest assured I have the ability to stay in the locating field if I so choose.
    Sorry bro, meant that as a compliment. As in if you can be a successful locator with all the challenges you face locating, you should be able to handle any new challenges that come your way. Make sense?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AntiQuest View Post
    I am a lurker on the site and post seldomly. Today ends my career in utility locating per our contract. I had many quality technicians and they were a good group of people.

Of course Windstream decides to award the locate contract to a company who bid it for $9 & change per ticket. Utility locating will not be a career field until stability is maintained through pricing by utilities & locate contractors.

Often I heard from contractors how our company was the best locating firm they have dealt with. Its a tribute to the technicians skill, teamwork and work ethic.

By all accounts local management was happy with the service performed, but other "corporate" types wanted a job done cheaper. Never mind the folks who performed daily and provided a skillful job well done. This effects all those who work within this field. No other telephone company is paying this small of tkt price. All other contracts in this area will compete cheaper and the cut throat pricing will continue, due to a dominoe effect from this approach.

I am in good shape and have the ability to change my career path. This is probably a blessing in that I am forced and focused to do so.

Some of my guys are being hired some are not. The men not retained who performed and showed up daily to provide for the families are left out in the cold. This is disgusting that two companies step on the techs that have no means and limited opportunities in this economy.

As good as group of people I have ever worked with, I Thank you!

It was a pleasure to work with you.

Scott Paulk
    Sad to hear your leaving the business, I've heard your name; once or twice throughout the years..Can't remember when, but who know's in this industry.

I wish the best for you and your family. I haven't had to lay-off or shut down an operation I was responsible for in the 11 years in the business. retaining honorable and hardworking people comes first to me. You try your hardest to Pay what an employee is worth, to pay-rate to incentive bonuse's; but you can only push so hard.

Again, From my Family to yours, wishing y'all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
    Sorry bro, meant that as a compliment. As in if you can be a successful locator with all the challenges you face locating, you should be able to handle any new challenges that come your way. Make sense?
    My apologies I must have took you wrong.

Hearing the rumor that Windstream can't afford to keep paying for locate services and are going to take a lot of their areas back in-house.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Hearing the rumor that Windstream can't afford to keep paying for locate services and are going to take a lot of their areas back in-house.
    I can't imagine how they could get off any cheaper than what they're currently paying. They have somebody sitting in an office clearing all the tickets where the prints show aerial facilities, and only let the tickets come through where there's buried lines on the prints. Funny thing is, none of the drops are shown on the prints, and they've cleared a shitload of tickets with conduit runs. Anyways, almost every Windstream ticket we get is a locate, and if we mismark we pay..... Cheap insurance for Windstream, why in the world would they ever take it back in house???

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Wow!

If indeed this is correct it certainly is a move against the grain!

Between wages and associated costs, plus cost of hits this seems like a silly move. Someone, somewhere inside of Windstream has a bad case of myopia.

Once they eat a few hits and their cost centres rise, some bean counter inside will see the light and become a "born again" outsource promoter.

Really, they have it pretty good, if the locate company makes a mistake, the locate company pays. Plus the locate company provides the equipment, vehicles/insurance/repairs, wages, bennies, etc. to their employees. And somewhere in there, tries to make a profit.

I predict it should not take Windstream too long to see the light. Perhaps someone might want to write them an eyeglass prescription for their short sightedness!
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

It might be a case where their contract does not allow them the ability to screen their tickets - would make a big difference in the per ticket pricing. Like I said , it's only at the Rumor Stage down here.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by 2RUDE View Post
    I locate Windstream in Pennsylvania, and commonly refer to them as "Windscreen", since they screen so many of the tickets and only allow their CDC to come through if there are buried facilities shown on the prints near the worksite. They do get hit quite often though, as no drops are shown on the prints, and many times they'll even screen tickets in areas with conduit runs. Any of you other guys that locate Windstream notice that there's usually no freebees? I'm sure the money they save greatly outweighs the damages, but it makes for a really shitty contract for us.
    Yea, but you have to go in the direction the client want to geaux...that's the way of the business. You can screen tickets in office and perfect it....I do it for a Hugh power company in La...put it all depends on thier engineering and mapping (prints).

If you don't mind me asking, What software viewer do y'all use to ...view windstreams' prints?...what I'm hearing on this software viewer, doesn't make sense....any info, would be appreciated.

Years of Experience

It might be a case where their contract does not allow them the ability to screen their tickets - would make a big difference in the per ticket pricing. Like I said , it's only at the Rumor Stage down here.
    yep you are correct....screening tickets in house and dispatching the buried to the locating firm..

By the way, what State are/were you locating for Windstream. USIC has Texas , Oklahomo, and New Mexico right now.
    As of December when I took the layoff Windstream was also in Pennsylvania. I didnt have many areas that had it but a few did.

Quote Originally Posted by carl3572 View Post
    As of December when I took the layoff Windstream was also in Pennsylvania. I didnt have many areas that had it but a few did.
    Georgia has just begun screening process, NC/SC & Alabama and Florida are operational.

Another issue I noticed was when we screened through our ticket management system, which Windstream has complete access too, some tickets that were no conflict were being screened as updates were recalled.

Example, we get a ticket for pool installation and the WST mainline is in the front. We would no conflict the ticket and the techs would be notified by locators from other companies; that update tickets would be called in for the address.

Their screening process eliminates many aerial, no conflict type of tickets.

Our tickets decreased by 45% the first year of screening. Some of this was the economy, but most was due to their screening process.

Then they low ball bid a contract and expect companies to be viable?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12