Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am officially done today

Default I am officially done today

I am a lurker on the site and post seldomly. Today ends my career in utility locating per our contract. I had many quality technicians and they were a good group of people.

Of course Windstream decides to award the locate contract to a company who bid it for $9 & change per ticket. Utility locating will not be a career field until stability is maintained through pricing by utilities & locate contractors.

Often I heard from contractors how our company was the best locating firm they have dealt with. Its a tribute to the technicians skill, teamwork and work ethic.

By all accounts local management was happy with the service performed, but other "corporate" types wanted a job done cheaper. Never mind the folks who performed daily and provided a skillful job well done. This effects all those who work within this field. No other telephone company is paying this small of tkt price. All other contracts in this area will compete cheaper and the cut throat pricing will continue, due to a dominoe effect from this approach.

I am in good shape and have the ability to change my career path. This is probably a blessing in that I am forced and focused to do so.

Some of my guys are being hired some are not. The men not retained who performed and showed up daily to provide for the families are left out in the cold. This is disgusting that two companies step on the techs that have no means and limited opportunities in this economy.

As good as group of people I have ever worked with, I Thank you!

It was a pleasure to work with you.

Scott Paulk

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I am officially done today

Well said.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Good Luck!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Sorry to hear about you guys losing the contract.

Good luck with your future endeavors.

Chicagoman

I know I can speak for every locator who works for USIC. We would love to have you work with us. And we will all be praying for you and your Family

Just out of curiousity was it Premier that underbid you? Seems they're low-balling to get a lot of contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by 2RUDE View Post
    Just out of curiousity was it Premier that underbid you? Seems they're low-balling to get a lot of contracts.
    Unibar

By the way, what State are/were you locating for Windstream. USIC has Texas , Oklahomo, and New Mexico right now.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    By the way, what State are/were you locating for Windstream. USIC has Texas , Oklahomo, and New Mexico right now.

NC/SC- Thanks, but I am really going to focus on a new career and work my way out of this field? I put my wife through college, so I have some breathing room. Not to beat a dead horse just want a field where I dont have to move to stay employed, since I moved to NC from Florida to stay in the business.

I will always have it in the bloodstream though....
    Last edited by AntiQuest; January 2nd, 2009 at 07:06 PM.

Years of Experience

Godspeed to you Antiquest in your new endeavors!!!!!!!!!!! one day at a time in anything you do!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Take care maybe something will come up for you later

Good luck.You will need it in this economy.I have been out of the business for a year.Laid off from the factory I was working at trying to start over.Starting over is hard once you reach your 40's.But you have managment skills that may help you out in the long run.

Years of Experience

Good luck to you Antiquest and keep in touch and keep posting, let us all know how you are doing.

Good luck and Godspeed to you. If you can cut it in this biz, you can cut it in most others....don't be a stranger!

I locate Windstream in Pennsylvania, and commonly refer to them as "Windscreen", since they screen so many of the tickets and only allow their CDC to come through if there are buried facilities shown on the prints near the worksite. They do get hit quite often though, as no drops are shown on the prints, and many times they'll even screen tickets in areas with conduit runs. Any of you other guys that locate Windstream notice that there's usually no freebees? I'm sure the money they save greatly outweighs the damages, but it makes for a really shitty contract for us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast