Thread: How's the sun shine in USIC world

Default How's the sun shine in USIC world

I hear that they are losing contracts at a very fast pace, contracts that they have had for some time. Some they are losing half of and some fully. I also hear that in some markets that they will take a contract for little to nothing, " like taking a pay cut in some states for a phone contract " even though they managed to get the project rate back. They claimed that they were " Trimming " fat when they got rid of alot of there upper management and still can not work in today's economic state? I hear that technicians are sitting at home with 15% drop in tickets over last year's volume, and it is not getting better. Then to beat all now your managers were called and asked to take a pay cut? WOW things seem to be going well for you folks. Last rumor was heard that you even had to take it in the pants on your 401 K as well? WOW 75% of 1 % added, seems worthless to me. Someone needs to take a business class all over again and put the correct people in charge. This all sounds like a notorius flip emerging. Allmost like the famous show " flip this house " I hope everything works out for you guys. I know alot of people over there and would hate to see any of my friends sitting with out work, or a job.

Default Re: How's the sun shine in USIC world

Yeah it's looking pretty grim around here. I think they are taking full advantage of the economic situation and using it to " trim fat " as you put it. No doubt they are going to take everything they can get from their employees. Rumor has it all trainers will now be locating and my guess is supervisors will be soon to follow. You may be right about the flip deal, they took a busted up SM&P and combined it with a decent CLS did a little fixin an trimmin and are getting ready to sell.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

Yeah, utter amazing what has transpired over there. Your right they did get word that trainers will be locating and supervisors as well. OT crunching?

Quote Originally Posted by 6feetunder View Post
    Yeah it's looking pretty grim around here. I think they are taking full advantage of the economic situation and using it to " trim fat " as you put it. No doubt they are going to take everything they can get from their employees. Rumor has it all trainers will now be locating and my guess is supervisors will be soon to follow. You may be right about the flip deal, they took a busted up SM&P and combined it with a decent CLS did a little fixin an trimmin and are getting ready to sell.

I heard just the opposite, it was CLS that was struggling and suffered the lay-offs - that's why we have about 50 ClS trucks here in DFW now. I don't know about the rest of the company but our DM/GM was given a goal to reach as far as reducing overhead on a District wide level. He made lay-offs in support
    personnel only. As far as the 401k cut-back and freeze on wages there's over 8% of the country that wishes they were having it so bad. All I really know is our tickets dropped off during the Winter like they always do and are starting to pick up some. So, I'm working 3 out of 4 Saturdays and my total pay is already ahead of 2008's and that was my best year $ wise since I have been with SM&P.
    Well, back to wondering who got the Verizon Contract here in Texas -and praying it's not us!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Oh! Speaking of which, how are you liking your newe Ops Coordinator down there in Texas Spray?
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Look. It's bad just about everywhere. All I can say is that I myself am glad to still be working. I am pulling my 40 every week. We all know that the ticket counts are way down. If we get less work, we will be working less. I'm pretty sure that what I just said makes sense. Yes, we lost part of one of our contracts. It was awarded to another company because of several reasons out of usic's control. In regards for this company being "flipped". That would be difficult in this economic climate. If I was in a management position, I would expect that I would have to do more in some way. No, no one has taken a pay cut that I'm aware of. Oh, and by the way, many companies stopped matching 401k's all together. They also have lost much of their other benefits. By the way losing and gaining contracts is part of this business. If you can prove otherwise, please do.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by RD_Wrangler View Post
    Oh! Speaking of which, how are you liking your newe Ops Coordinator down there in Texas Spray?
    I have had the same GM/DM for the past 5 years. I don't know who you are referring to as "OPs Coordinator". I pretty much keep my head up, mouth shut work my 50 - 60 hrs and go home. Seems to be working for me and Mgmt - I hardly ever see or hear from them. Hell, the last damage I got they just said (paraphrasing) Shit happens, keep up the good work (#'s) and be safe. This really has been a quiet area since we picked up another relatively large contract last October. By the way, we haven't lost any work.

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    I have had the same GM/DM for the past 5 years. I don't know who you are referring to as "OPs Coordinator".
    Ops Coordinator is the guy that orders paint, flags, trucks, comps, etc. He's also responsible for maintenence, upgrades, and all that jazz. Not really that big of a deal. I had just heard someone I have had aquaintance with was moved down there to replace the two guys that were doing it before.

Just wondering if you'd met him.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

RD, unless this just happened in the last few days we have a guy doing the equipment thing that has been here for 10-12 years. He has been a locator, trainer, picture counter, jack-of-all-trades type of guy. Haven't heard about him being replaced. Send me a pm with the guy's name you are talking about.

We lost a couple of electric contracts in the last year to a competitor, however they underbid us so badly I don't see how they can turn a profit. In fact I look for the larger of the two contracts to be back in short order, as this other company is doing a pretty poor job. Aside from that, It seems everybodys tightening their belts due to the current economy. I'd like to see USIC stamp out these smaller companies, but I'm guessing that's where they hold the advantage over USIC...... Small, sleek, and less non revenue producing employees. As much as I want to see my company succeed, it seems we're still too top heavy on management, which gives these smaller companies the edge when bidding contracts.
    Last edited by 2RUDE; March 7th, 2009 at 10:12 AM.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by 2RUDE View Post
    We lost a couple of electric contracts in the last year to a competitor, however they underbid us so badly I don't see how they can turn a profit. In fact I look for the larger of the two contracts to be back in short order, as this other company is doing a pretty poor job. Aside from that, It seems everybodys tightening their belts due to the current economy. I'd like to see USIC stamp out these smaller companies, but I'm guessing that's where they hold the advantage over USIC...... Small, sleek, and less non revenue producing employees. As much as I want to see my company succeed, it seems we're still too top heavy on management, which gives these smaller companies the edge when bidding contracts.
    The most important thing to remember, "Bigger does NOT mean better" and "Biggest defintely does NOT mean best"...smaller locate companies will always exist because they can usually offer a more personalized service to the clients that desire it, and there are utility owners out there who do not like dealing with the "big guys" because they know they are just a number to them.

RigidFreakTech

???
    Last edited by RigidFreakTech; March 11th, 2009 at 12:25 PM.

February 12th, 2009, 07:44 AM
    RigidFreakTech
    Junior Member Join Date: Feb 2009

Re: Major phone damage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That major phone damage was a bad one. We all winced at the sound of it and are still recovering from the after math. As for the USIC "bashers", I say this.... This economy was no right time for an acquisition of the two "largest" contracto locating companies but as things clear up, so shall USIC's future. The President/Owner has a great plan to further USIC's advancement to the majority contract holder in the Country and with that responsibility comes great opportunity. (Or so I am told)

Hey rigid, I thought you were with them? The above post would confirm this? Or are you just full of it.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Wow, do I smell....uh Fish?
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Quote Originally Posted by RigidFreakTech View Post
    What else do you guys know about this USIC thing? I was looking to perhaps join their Team. If they are on the fritz, who would be the best to go to right now?
    By the sound of things on TheVine, this would depend on where you are located. However, keep in mind that these contracts change from year to year. Right now we are pretty secure in Texas with about 10 different contracts statewide but that could change next year.