Thread: How often are you on-call?

Years of Experience

Default How often are you on-call?

We are on-call about once every 14 weeks. We do on-call for one full week at a time. This time of year we don't get too many call outs but with all the hours we're working it's still real hard.

The funny thing is for wasting away a week of our lives we get $50.00. It's amazing that the on-call pay hasn't went up in years. I know we're not on-call to often but $50.00 for sitting there and not being able to go anywhere or drink anything is not too much money.

Years of Experience

Default Re: How often are you on-call?

Out here we have a daily oncall rotation. Some guys pick up more than others, but most guys end up covering oncall at least three dates a month. We get an extra $50 if we cover a Saturday or Sunday but nothing extra for covering weeknights.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

We have a rotation like this: Mon thru Thurs we have a different guy each nite and then for Fri-Sat-Sun we have 1 guy do the entire weekend so only 1 person's weekend is screwed up. Works great and it's a lot easier to trade out days with other guys. Of course this doesn't work if you have 5,10,15, 20 per group.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    16 yrs

we are on 1 in every 4 weeks hell when the rifs start some are on every other week thru the winter... winter is a pretty busy time around here for after hour emergencies.. water mains breakin right in left... the most i ever had was 1 in 8 weeks... 14 weeks would be SWEET......... and yeah, 50 bux aint much anymore for on-call... but i guess it's better than a kick in the balls ..ooh wait we get the kick in the balls when that 1 to 3 % raise comes around every year

Wow.. you actually get compensated for being on call??? What a novel idea!! (Oh... did I say that in my out loud voice?) Once about every 6 - 7 weeks... can be pretty crazy. But extra money??? ... that would help!

Years of Experience

NEVER Two hours of pay isnt worth my weekend being ruined a plus I cant hit the bottle I mean prescription liquid for locators

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TBONE View Post
    NEVER Two hours of pay isnt worth my weekend being ruined a plus I cant hit the bottle I mean prescription liquid for locators
    How do you get away from doing on-call? Do you pay someone else to take you call out time?

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

I negotiated with my boss when he was preparing to put me on call. (we have to work for the Co. for 6 mo first ....as a nubee that is).

He was giving me a raise and I negotiated .50 cents an hour less not to be on call.

People here are on call one week at a time. No payment for being on call. Each "call out" is paid at a flat rate. I am not sure what that rate is. Some guys who have a busy week make pretty good money.

I spent an entire career on call, working around the clock some times, holidays, long weekends, even Christmas one year. I said no thanks, I'd had enough (on call) to fill my boots for a while.

He was actually pretty gracious about it. I do however contribute more to the company in other ways...helping nubees, writing training curriculum, taking extra work, etc. so he didn't see it as too much of a hardship.

Most of the young guys put up notes, they want every on call shift they can get... and i tell them Well, fill yer boots guys, after 25 years you too will be pretty tired of it. But for now, they make great paycheques.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

We have a guy in the DFWarea that will pay $150 for someone to take his week-ends. He never does a week-end.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

How come some people are on-call so often? Do you do a small area on-call? We do half of an entire county when we are on-call. You'd think everyone would have the amount of people on the supervisor team be equal to the number of weeks between on-call rotations.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    How come some people are on-call so often? Do you do a small area on-call? We do half of an entire county when we are on-call. You'd think everyone would have the amount of people on the supervisor team be equal to the number of weeks between on-call rotations.
    I get it, so you are saying once every 30 weeks or so you'd be on call once. But how do you do that when you only have 20 locators??? (Just having some fun Golden...LMAO)!
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Years of Experience
    16 yrs

we do about 6 counties for on call

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mr810 View Post
    we do about 6 counties for on call

So if you do six counties on-call and your on-call every 4 weeks I'm guessing you work in a very rural area. We probably have 25-30 locators working in one county where I work.

I go on about every 8 weeks, unless my wife went shopping with the kids again and then I'll pick up a week from another co-locator....usually get 50 bucks or even more if they are desparte.

Years of Experience

no on call for me but to help out my team i may go out once a year to do one......our contractors here believe that small water leaks in the rich mans yard or the poor mans yard can wait till monday............