Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Teddy121

Thread: How much driving do you do? What to expect.

Years of Experience

Question How much driving do you do? What to expect.

Hi, I'm trying to get a job in the Atlanta area with USIC as a Utility Locate Technician so I wanted to ask a couple of questions. I'm used to outdoor work, but due to a health issue I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into. I would REALLY appreciate any information you guys could give me.

How much driving is involved with the job? Do locators usually work alone?

I get fatigued/sleepy driving long distances (sometimes short distances), so I wanted to know how much of time was spent driving. How large of an area do you usually work in? How many sites do you usually visit in a day?

Thanks again, and any insight you guys could provide would be helpful.

TheDude

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How much driving do you do? What to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Hi, I'm trying to get a job in the Atlanta area with USIC as a Utility Locate Technician so I wanted to ask a couple of questions. I'm used to outdoor work, but due to a health issue I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into. I would REALLY appreciate any information you guys could give me.

I get fatigued/sleepy driving long distances (sometimes short distances), so I wanted to know how much of time was spent driving. How large of an area do you usually work in? How many sites do you usually visit in a day?

TheDude
    so.... it really depends on where the company puts you. With a company like USIC there are usually only two options. Rural and Urban.

With Urban areas you tend to drive shorter distances but you still drive quite a bit. You will typically spend just as much time in the vehicle as you will outside spraying paint, unless you have a large locate, then you may spend more time out of the vehicle.

The Rural routes should have more driving, but it really varies depending on areas.

When I was a contract locator It took me 2.5hrs to go from one side of my coverage area to the other. I however, covered 3 counties.

If it makes you feel any better, I drove a whole lot more when I went to private locating. It was nothing for me to drive 6hrs to get to a job, work for about 30 min and drive 6 hrs back. During this time I recieved a new toyota matrix as a company car and put just over 70K miles on it in the first year.

mke

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Varies. Our vehicles seem to get at least 40,000 miles a year at the average. The fleet subcontractor was asking how we got 90,000 miles on a vehicle when it was less than two years old.

If you live close to your work area and the tickets not far apart you drive all day but not many miles.

The number of sites you visit depend on how many utilities you mark, the more you mark the less number of sites you can visit. Do not be surprised to be working 10, 12,14 hours a day.

Years of Experience

If I had to guess, they are going to be putting most of the newer people in large projects. A ton of fiber is fixing to be put in. Meaning most of your day will be spent in general area trying to stay ahead of the drillers. Good luck.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post

TheDude
    When I was at usic I drove some I covered a whole county and seemed to drive longer distances in my rural area then what I didwhen I would go to the urban to help. Now at the company I work for now I easily go 250-300 a day lol but I'll take the miles associated with one ways as oppose to driving a shorter distance and doing 5-6 way locates
    UULC and daman1 like this.