Thread: Honest opinions from USIC employees

Default Honest opinions from USIC employees

I have work for CUS for a while now and love the way the company is ran I would like honest opinions on what I can expect out of USIC.

Default Re: Honest opinions from USIC employees

USIC will be a rude awakening for CUS employees. Be prepared to be micro-managed to death. GPS tracks your every move. Very strict on idle time. Quantity over Quality is USIC'a policy. Get use to being used and abused. You are just a number now , easily replaced. Good Luck and stay strong.

I have been invited to an interview with USIC. Was wondering if anyone has any pointers and what can I expect in training and OJT if I were hired. Any information or comments would be appreciated.

Its really not bad at all. My area is great though. I don't veer off course through the day, and I turn my truck off at every locate so I don't have any problems.

For ok73112 training is 4-5 weeks usually, with alot of book work in a classroom and some field time. You'll probably learn more in your first week of ride-alongs than you do the entire training class.

Quote Originally Posted by ok73112 View Post
    I have been invited to an interview with USIC. Was wondering if anyone has any pointers and what can I expect in training and OJT if I were hired. Any information or comments would be appreciated.
    Training will be 4 weeks in classroom environment with LOTS of tests. Just make sure you pass them the first time, or you will be playing catch-up every day. (You have 3 chances to pass each test) Mix that in with maybe 3 days in the field for hands-on before Final test and OQ qualification (for locating gas). OTJ training..... HA! It is more like riding with a senior tech for a few days then off on your own. Just make sure that you do not second-guess yourself on everything. That will drive you insane! Listen to your senior techs and TAKE NOTES! They will save your ass.

You C.U.S guys are in for a real treat,USIC is only interested in their bottom line,they say that they really care for their employees,They could care less,It is only a smoke screen.They'l nail you to the wall in a new york minute.Micro managed like you have never seen before,Down to the second.All salried employees are only interested in their bonuses,Not you.They will work you to the bone and then some.MORE to come later.......

Years of Experience

at least we are getting some honest answers.......
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    at least we are getting some honest answers.......
    I know right!

To some it up, USIC employees are treated like children

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locator00566 View Post
    To some it up, USIC employees are treated like children
    I wholeheartedly agree, and it's unfortunate. In the worse case, they are treated like criminals. If I had a dollar for every time one of their supervisors approached me trying to get some dirt on a locator, I'd have lunch money for a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree, and it's unfortunate. In the worse case, they are treated like criminals. If I had a dollar for every time one of their supervisors approached me trying to get some dirt on a locator, I'd have lunch money for a long while.
    I've tried to stay out of this but the last two comments ring my bell pretty loud. I worked for CUS up until March of 09 and left for the very reason that after as many years as I've been in this business, having some A-hole with less than half my experience treat me like a child became intolerable. The bad thing was, my supervisor wasn't a bad guy and I consider us friends to this day, he was simply in a position where upper management was leaning on him hard to make him lean on us even harder. The guy needed his job - what're ya gonna do?

That seems to be the biggest trouble with the biggest players in our industry today (you know who I refer to); the bigger the corporation gets, the more expendable and unappreciated we get. I thought going to work for a smaller company was the answer, and it was a step in the right direction, but missed the mark (mostly because of who the smaller company was). In the new outfit I rose to the top pretty quick, but was unwilling to play hardball with my crew (guys I'd known for many years for the most part) and refused to treat them like children and criminals. Long story short, I got shown the door because I wouldn't compromise my beliefs about how workers should be treated (like human beings for starters).

Anyway, sorry for ranting without adding anything to what this tread is about, but like I said, seeing how far this industry has fallen from the days when a man or woman with integrity and good sense could have a secure job and some respect from the people they work for just really chaps my hide.
    "You have enemies? Good! That means you've stood up for something sometime in your life." ~ Winston Churchill

The longer I'm in this business the more I realize that all locate companies treat their employees basically the same. In the last week I had an ex Utiliquest employee tell me that Heath is now acting like Utiliquest . I also heard that Consolidated Management doesn't really care all that much about employee retention. A USIC DM supposedly quit because after spending 3 years finally getting his area staffed and trained properly was told he needed to get rid of people after their 3rd drop damage.

As long as the unemployment rate is 9%+ we are expendable in the eyes of these large corporations.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Wait till they release the auto routing system they have been working on since they put GPS in all their trucks, which will take away your ability to route your own tickets.

For those of you who are not planning a new career outside of USIC, you better start. Don't let them suck the life out of you.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    The longer I'm in this business the more I realize that all locate companies treat their employees basically the same.

As long as the unemployment rate is 9%+ we are expendable in the eyes of these large corporations.
    Hey spray, you and I have been around long enough to know figures lie and liars can figure............. Anytime there is an "official" government announcement, the spin doctors dramatically overstate the positive and likewise dramatically understate the negative.

Case in point, the "official" United States jobless rate hyped by the corporate-owned, government-controlled media is 8.9%; which is utter bullshit!

If the "official" 8.9% would be doubled, it would come much closer to the real number of jobless Americans. The jobless blacks in large metropolitan cities is hovering 40%; even while America has a black, Indonesian citizen (Barry Soetoro) as a sitting president!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------