Thread: Holiday Weekend?!!

Years of Experience

Default Holiday Weekend?!!

I'm not sure of anyone else is experiencing this, but I am swamped with work!
    After years of doing this, this is the first year where I'm not using up my pto right before the holiday.
    I have multiple tickets on my board for things like "setting propane tank" and "installing fence" and the my favorite, "new pad for addition".
    Now I am pretty sure most of the homeowners out there don't want us to paint and flag their lawn right before Christmas, let alone have a hole dug for a new pool right before the holidays.
    Anyone else getting bombarded by work like this that won't be done for another 2 weeks?

Years of Experience

Default Re: Holiday Weekend?!!

I am beyond swamped. I have a 20 mile fiber project which att is running through frontier and embarq territory, which makes 4 way locates!!! 3 mile new gas main project, which makes this a 4 way locate. and las but not least a 3 mile embarq phone project which makes it a 5 way locate. i dont know which way to turn, getting help is like asking for the winning power ball ticket.

Years of Experience

2 years ago I was put in charge for the holidays. I was sending everyone home because there wasn't even work coming in for a week! I know the pain, have a 4 mile road widening/ barrier wall going in with multiple direct buried cables running the entire way, and a gas main being set in with 3 crews boring in a neighborhood with ANCIENT utilities buried. In all my years, I never had this much work during the holidays!

Years of Experience
    30+

I am also swamped but keeping my head above water. A lot of city wayer main breaks being called in for emergencies.

Years of Experience

work is really good down this way too !!!!! beaucoup projects going on in my area !!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    30+

Yahoo you in the Sunshine State?

Years of Experience

haha sunshine- maybe bug and snake state!

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Here in Wisconsin with no snow on the ground, well at least until tonight, earlier it was blizzard warnings but have not check it lately. The temp have been in mid 30's and had some mid 40's weather and very little frost. I have had my ticket load look like spring. I had 60 tickets on my board earlier this week. The counties calling in for sign install and ditch cleaning. CATV drops that would wait until spring are being called in. Usually lucky to get 20-30 hrs and I worked almost 12 hours just to get a head of the storm.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I am thinking it is like the conversation I had with a tool truck guy (you know, Matco, Cornwall, SnapOn) this week. In past years November, Decmber were low sales months for him. Now sales are not dropping at all, buisness is good. Dispite what the papers say about the 'recovery' we are locked in a recession. People are not buying so many new cars and hanging onto their old ones or when they have to buy they get a used car. Mechanics are buying tools because they are wearing out their tools fixing cars for people who cannot aford to replace the vehicle.

I am not seeing many big 100 to 300 single family house projects. Most in my area are single lot homes or small projects of a few to 20 or thirty houses. A larger number with townhouses but nothing like it used to be.

Instead of buying new homes people are putting additions on their existing home or otherwise making them nicer. I think this is a big factor in seeing this many tickets.