Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Had interview with USIC today and have a question.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Had interview with USIC today and have a question.

    First off hey to yall. Im an old school cable and fiber optics tech that has been in the game for about 8 years. Im trying to get into locating and away from the crawlspaces and 150 degree attics so i put in and was granted an interview with USIC today. I feel like it went pretty well but it only lasted 15 minutes. They had a good many applicants to get through today from the looks of the list i saw and I think I pretty much answered most of the questions the interviewer had before she had to ask em so may thats why but i was wondering if any of you had that same experience.

  2. #2
    Senior Member yahoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,908
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    167

    Default Re: Had interview with USIC today and have a question.

    welcome to the vine dude ! post often ..and good luck with your new job ! I am fairly confident that if you got an interview that you will get hired ! hope so anyway!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Had interview with USIC today and have a question.

    As long as you are willing to work hard in any weather, and put in the hours as needed, you probably got the job! Good luck!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Had interview with USIC today and have a question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Justadrop View Post
    As long as you are willing to work hard in any weather, and put in the hours as needed, you probably got the job! Good luck!
    Well i am definateley willing to do that. I did tell her that i am trying to get away from cable because i was working from 7 till 10 six days a week but it wasnt the hours that bugged me as much as having to work those kind of hours while crawling under homes and through 150 degree attics full of sewage and asbestos and god knows what else and agreed that was excessive even by locator standards.. There is a reason you dont see any 60 year old cable installers and its cause it makes you old fast. She said every cable guy she had ever interviewed had said the exact same thing and then asked if i could work overtime and saturdays. I said of course and that was pretty much it.

    She was a safety nut as well. Asked me about what i had to do to stay safe in my old job. I was just like no cell phone while driving, wear my vest, watch for electrical hazards and dogs. The usual stuff. I was just concerned about it being so short. The dude interviewing behind me sat there running his mouth for at least 30 min. From what ive read here the cable game and the locating game are very similar with the primary difference being that yall dont have to deal with customers as much and dont crawl through sewage and other ungodly junk. I think it will be a good fit and if i get the job i will be on here a good bit.

  5. #5
    Senior Member locator00566's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Better Place
    Posts
    319
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Had interview with USIC today and have a question.

    Think of working for USIC as an assembly line. You are brought in, ran through the mill and then you are out the door.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Had interview with USIC today and have a question.

    Quote Originally Posted by locator00566 View Post
    Think of working for USIC as an assembly line. You are brought in, ran through the mill and then you are out the door.
    What exactly do you mean. Do they have a high turnover rate or are you referring to the training process. I hope its a decent job.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Had interview with USIC today and have a question.

    How many jobs do yall do a day and how long does the average one take. Keep in mind im in SC so the ground never freezes. Im assuming that you cant locate in the snow.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    454
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    26

    Default Re: Had interview with USIC today and have a question.

    Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolcabledog View Post
    What exactly do you mean. Do they have a high turnover rate or are you referring to the training process. I hope its a decent job.
    High turnover. Major micromanagement. Eventually, you'll be just as fed up as your last job. In the meantime, look eager, stay focused, ride through the training period, and soak that company for every penny you can Hoover out of 'em once you hit the field.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Had interview with USIC today and have a question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    High turnover. Major micromanagement. Eventually, you'll be just as fed up as your last job. In the meantime, look eager, stay focused, ride through the training period, and soak that company for every penny you can Hoover out of 'em once you hit the field.
    Well actually my last job was pretty sweet. Straight 40 hourr, 18 bucks and hour and 18 pto days a year. I got laid off when the contract ended and we decided to come back home since we had a 3 month old and wanted to be closer to family. I would have stayed on with the new company if not for that. I have a pretty high tolerance for BS and micromanagement you dont last long in the cable industry without it. It sounds more and more like the cable game the more i hear minus the really bad stuff. I can always go back if i need to but really dont want to. I think if i do get the job i will be fine. Just like with cable it sounds like you are either a natural at it or you dont last long in one place. An industry filled with people who are legends in their own mind but rarely actually are.

  10. #10
    Administrator TheCableVine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,943
    Years of Experience
    16
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    134

    Default Re: Had interview with USIC today and have a question.

    Welcome to TheCableVine. Glad you found us.

    I'd bet you got the job. Even if you don't, you are still welcome around here. There are other locate companies out there you can get hired on with. January and February and on into March are good times to apply for locator jobs. See my other website... Locatorjobs.com to look for jobs in your area. (I had to plug it. Sorry)

    I did 30 tickets today. I worked from 8:00 to 5:00 and no I didn't take a lunch. I never take em. You'll understand why if you get the job. I only locate Cable TV so what I do in a day doesn't compare to what USIC locators do. They do multiple utilities and a locate takes longer for them.

    Again, welcome aboard and post often. You need to catch up with Yahoo on your post count.

    Steve
    "Change does not always equal progress."

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Had interview with USIC today and have a question.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Welcome to TheCableVine. Glad you found us.

    I'd bet you got the job. Even if you don't, you are still welcome around here. There are other locate companies out there you can get hired on with. January and February and on into March are good times to apply for locator jobs. See my other website... Locatorjobs.com to look for jobs in your area. (I had to plug it. Sorry)

    I did 30 tickets today. I worked from 8:00 to 5:00 and no I didn't take a lunch. I never take em. You'll understand why if you get the job. I only locate Cable TV so what I do in a day doesn't compare to what USIC locators do. They do multiple utilities and a locate takes longer for them.

    Again, welcome aboard and post often. You need to catch up with Yahoo on your post count.

    Steve
    I havent taken a lunch break in 8 years. Do they try to route you in one area or are they spread all over the place.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    815
    Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs
    Rep Power
    40

    Default Re: Had interview with USIC today and have a question.

    Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolcabledog View Post
    Well actually my last job was pretty sweet. Straight 40 hourr, 18 bucks and hour and 18 pto days a year. I got laid off when the contract ended and we decided to come back home since we had a 3 month old and wanted to be closer to family. I would have stayed on with the new company if not for that. I have a pretty high tolerance for BS and micromanagement you dont last long in the cable industry without it. It sounds more and more like the cable game the more i hear minus the really bad stuff. I can always go back if i need to but really dont want to. I think if i do get the job i will be fine. Just like with cable it sounds like you are either a natural at it or you dont last long in one place. An industry filled with people who are legends in their own mind but rarely actually are.
    ROFL Starting $18, I do not think SC is that expensive to live. 18 pto days? Up here and in Canada we do paint in snow. Just the volume goes way down and some go on RIF or use up vacation time. When I left it was 2 tickets an hour on a 3-way, but when we picked up phone they gave us an extra 7 minutes a locate. phone can be the one that takes the most time, lol Of course this was before they implemented the short cut method. On the average the industry has a 30% attrition rate. USIC was I think 43%, but it has gone down to 38%. The assembly line thing could also be with the training too. That depends on your supervisor as how much they throw you to the wolves right after training.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Had interview with USIC today and have a question.

    Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    ROFL Starting $18, I do not think SC is that expensive to live. 18 pto days? Up here and in Canada we do paint in snow. Just the volume goes way down and some go on RIF or use up vacation time. When I left it was 2 tickets an hour on a 3-way, but when we picked up phone they gave us an extra 7 minutes a locate. phone can be the one that takes the most time, lol Of course this was before they implemented the short cut method. On the average the industry has a 30% attrition rate. USIC was I think 43%, but it has gone down to 38%. The assembly line thing could also be with the training too. That depends on your supervisor as how much they throw you to the wolves right after training.
    My last job was in TN it wasnt expensive either. The company that offered that got underbid on their contract and the new one that got it didnt offer anywhere near those benefits. I had the option to stay on and lose benefits or move to another city where the old company was still doing business. My old job was also required a little more technical skill than locating and was more labor intensive. I chose to move home because i did not want to move further away from family because of my new son. Plus my mother in law dies a year ago and i now live in her home which is rather nice for FREE. Not to mention my wife got a job in SC makeing pretty decent herself. I paid for it while she went to college and now i get to reap the rewards. Lets just put it this way. I work because i want to not because i have to and for some reason I thrive in the contracting industry so thats what i do.

    Living expenses shouldnt make a difference anyhow. If i do the same job i should get the same pay as anyone else no matter where i live. Its not our fault you up north types have such high taxes and overpriced housing. Thats a result of yalls piss poor political and tax policies and voting practices. As for the crappy winters ye it sucks but you should try working in 104 degree heat with 90% humidity and daily severe thunderstorms. As far as that goes its a wash.
    Last edited by oldschoolcabledog; August 30th, 2012 at 10:45 PM.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Had interview with USIC today and have a question.

    The wash out rate where im from is more like 50 to 60%. Half because they cant do it and half because they dont want to do it.

    Most cable contractors pay piece rate so the more you can do the more you make. I have made as much as 2200 a week in the past and averaged 1k but that was 6 years ago and those days ended when the economy went south a few years ago and newbies were willing to work for peanuts in comparison. The primary companies took advantage of it as well knowing how difficult it was to get a job anywhere and cut rates to line their own pockets. Now they want more for less and they aint a getting it from me. I know what the work i did was worth and if they arent willing to pay it i will find something else to do like locate. At least i hope thats how its gonna work out.
    Last edited by oldschoolcabledog; August 30th, 2012 at 10:49 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member The Big-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    247
    Years of Experience
    10
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Had interview with USIC today and have a question.

    Hope it works out OK for ya cabledog... I once hired an ex-cable installer/tech to do locating, he was kind of a hard-headed know-it-all type, but with my guidance he eventually came around to be a halfway decent locate tech...

    As far as I know, he is still doing it for USIC in another state...

    cheers...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •